THE PEACEKEEPER (Frédéric Forestier, 1997)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE PEACEKEEPER (1997)

Postby Travis on 06 Nov 2010, 09:20

Dolph's head on Duane Johnson's body. That has to be a pirated copy.
Travis
Regular

Postby Jox on 06 Nov 2010, 11:18

I don't think copyright applies in China so they don't give a rat's ass and do whatever the hell they want...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Stadanko on 06 Nov 2010, 12:05

:lol: that is rubbish or the greatest photoshop i ever seen
Stadanko

Postby savagesketch on 06 Nov 2010, 20:53

I'd consider this one to be one of the films that were made in the low point of Dolph's career... Let's be honest, the late '90's were not too kind to Dolph in terms of the films that came his way. He was trying in every one of them, but the final products seemed to always come out a little laughable... PEACEKEEPER, SWEEPERS, BRIDGE OF DRAGONS, AGENT RED, LAST WARRIOR, STORM CATCHER... All films with great premises and a great lead, but when the cameras started rolling and the miniscual budget was realized, we were left with the products we got. I highly doubt Dolph looks back upon this period and collection of films with a fondness...

PEACEKEEPER is one of them. An ambitious premise that with a better budget could have been so much more. But between the cheesy special effects and Montel Williams' gung-ho performance, this one goes down as being pretty silly...
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 06 Nov 2010, 21:10

It has a similar topic as the old John Carpenter / John Dahl project MELTDOWN.

Considering the budget ($10 million but only $6 million to make the film) THE PEACEKEEPER was technically very well crafted, especially the roof top car chase of course, and sure it was a bit silly but pretty good for the DIE-HARD rip off that it is.

The director Frédéric Forestier went on to direct French blockbusters afterwards such as DEAD WEIGHT and ASTERIX AT THE OLYMPIC GAMES. But at the time of THE PEACEKEEPER it was his first feature and he was trying with what he had...

Regarding Dolph, apart from his start declining, one other reason he didn't invest as much in his movies was that he just had his first daughter born this year and from that point on his focus and heart was more into his family which is admirable (when so many people put all their cards in their career and making money).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Travis on 07 Nov 2010, 13:51

I haven't watched this in awhile. I remember the car chase being good but the rest of the movie being garbage. I should re-watch it.

It is named Peacekeeper because George Clooney had a movie with a similar title out at the same time.
Travis
Regular

Postby Jox on 07 Nov 2010, 14:10

Very likely, I think it had two working titles: RED ZONE and HELLBENT (under which it was filmed) and then they changed it to PEACEKEEPER. Also because the nuclear missile used in the film is the last one made by the American army and is called "Peacekeeper".

Here's a what director Forestier wrote me (translated from French):
“The original script was reworked about 50 times. A massacre. There isn’t much left of the action scenes that were there. But, we did omitted a lot during filming, so no cuts have been made in editing. What we see is all, absolutely ALL that has been shot. 15 pages of the script have been omitted during prep, and 20 pages have been dropped during production. All the craziest scenes action-wise. But you learn not to be too greedy when you don’t have the appropriate budget.”
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 30 Nov 2010, 18:05

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 20 Apr 2011, 15:49

Michael Sarrazin, who played Colonel Douglas Murphy in THE PEACEKEEPER and was known for his roles in Sidney Pollack's THEY SHOOT HORSES, DON'T THEY? or THE SWEET RIDE, passed away on Sunday.

R.I.P.

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Travis on 21 Apr 2011, 00:34

I just watched this movie last week.
Travis
Regular

Postby riotgirl77 on 21 Apr 2011, 04:14

I might sound girl-ish (even though I am a girl lol) but I really really love Dolph's hair in this movie and Blackjack 8)
riotgirl77

Postby Jox on 21 Apr 2011, 09:59

The only real serious on-going topic on this board: Dolph's hair. :lol:
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Travis on 22 Apr 2011, 08:04

I agree. His hair looked good in this film. He has a lot of bad hairstyles in films.
Travis
Regular

Postby viendammage on 23 Apr 2011, 06:27

Peacekeeper brings back fond memories of a summer during college. Digging through the Wal-Mart $5 bin and coming up with this, Red Scorpion and Silent Trigger. Sigh...the good old days! Enjoy this flick though, has some decent action and looks good. I would say this is before the fall, I consider Storm Catcher, Agent Red, Jill Rips his free falling years but that's just me!

As for his hair, always liked him with shorter cuts, this, Showdown, Blackjack. Dolph with long hair starts to make him look goofy. He-Man stringy mullet, the surfer butt cut in Pentahalon and Shooter...
I kick ass, or kiss ass... and I'm busting heads! http://viendammage.blogspot.com/
viendammage

Postby Jox on 23 Apr 2011, 10:53

viendammage wrote:Enjoy this flick though, has some decent action and looks good.

It was Frédéric Forestier's feature debuts, a very bright director, Nu Image cheaply tried to make him sign on for THE PEACEKEEPER 2 & 3 but he wouldn't do it, then he went on to direct big budget movies in France like DEAD WEIGHT (LE BOULET) or ASTERIX AT THE OLYMPIC GAMES.

I would say this is before the fall, I consider Storm Catcher, Agent Red, Jill Rips his free falling years but that's just me!

It simple, it was the last film to get theatrical in Japan, and the budgets dropped drastically afterwards (not that the budget necessarily has to do with the quality of a film), but on THE PEACEKEEPER the "below the line" budget to make the film was about $6 million (without Dolph's and others salaries, $10 million total), then 9 months later for THE MINION the "below the line" budget was first supposed to have $1,5 or 2 million more but ended up only about $3 million or less (so maybe $4 or 5 million total); SWEEPERS and BLACKJACK had decent budgets but then it was $2-3 million per film...
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies