THE PEACEKEEPER (Frédéric Forestier, 1997)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE PEACEKEEPER (Frédéric Forestier, 1997)

Postby Jox on 15 Oct 2015, 22:04

Trivia: In 2001, Albert Pyun wanted Dolph for CITY BLOOD, a vampire flick set during the Roman era... not only Dolph turned it down but the producer turned out to be a crook apparently, so it wouldn't have been made anyway.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Travis on 17 Oct 2015, 16:54

Sounds like this movie was the beginning of the end for Dolph in some ways.

I mainly remember hating the title when it came out because it was like they were trying to confuse people into thinking it was the George Clooney movie with a similar name.
Travis
Regular

Postby Jox on 19 Oct 2015, 11:06

Travis wrote:Sounds like this movie was the beginning of the end for Dolph in some ways.

Well, in distributors minds he had proved he couldn't not attract any crowd in the theaters, every title since UNIVERSAL SOLDIER had flopped (including JOHNNY MNEMONIC even though he got critical praise for it) so of course there was less and less effort to put production value into his films, and the companies he was now working with were manly working the direct to video circuit...

Travis wrote:I mainly remember hating the title when it came out because it was like they were trying to confuse people into thinking it was the George Clooney movie with a similar name.

It was probably convenient in Nu Image's mind, although the director told me the title change was more because:
"the nuclear missile used in the film is the last one made by the American army and is called "Peacekeeper". And because it means ‘keeper of the peace’, I thought it could also symbolize the action of Dolph throughout the film as well.”.

The original working titles were RED ZONE (with a slightly different script that was more similar to AIR FORCE ONE apparently), and then HELLBENT.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Travis on 20 Oct 2015, 17:43

Jox wrote:
Travis wrote:Sounds like this movie was the beginning of the end for Dolph in some ways.

Well, in distributors minds he had proved he couldn't not attract any crowd in the theaters, every title since UNIVERSAL SOLDIER had flopped (including JOHNNY MNEMONIC even though he got critical praise for it) so of course there was less and less effort to put production value into his films, and the companies he was now working with were manly working the direct to video circuit...

Makes sense.
I remember thinking Army of One and Pentathlon were career lows for him and The Peacekeeper was long after those.
By the time Sweepers and The Minion were showing on USA Network, I couldn't believe how my idol's career had fallen so much.
Still, Dolph seems to have had a decent career and great life. I was so surprised hearing him say he was miserable for most of his career in his Ted talk.
Travis
Regular

Postby Jox on 29 Oct 2016, 15:54

THE PEACEKEEPER started lensing 20 years ago in late October 1996 (under the title HELLBENT and formerly called RED ZONE)...

Here between takes with Japanese journalists:
(source: THE PEACEKEEPER Japanese theatrical program)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 17 Jan 2017, 01:00

Spanish sales sheet with VHS cover on the back

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 11 Mar 2017, 12:38

Jox wrote:Director Fréderic Forestier just posted a set pic with Roy Scheider on his FB page, with this comment:
Un homme d'une grande humilité, un acteur hors pair, un artiste, porté par une passion sans borne pour son métier. Travailler avec lui fut un honneur et un privilège. Merci, Roy and so long !

(Translation:
A man of great humility, an extraordinary actor, an artist, driven by an endless passion for his craft. Working with him was an honor and a priviledge. Thank you Roy, and so long!)

www.fredericforestier.com

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 15 Apr 2017, 13:52

Seems like it's coming to Blu-ray this year, just in time for the 20th (!) anniversary...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 08 May 2017, 21:50

Jox wrote:Seems like it's coming to Blu-ray this year, just in time for the 20th (!) anniversary...
Jox wrote:Upcoming Blu-ray (region B)
http://www.amazon.fr/Dolph-lundgren-fil ... 071XQ7LCP/

The upcoming French release will feature both an interview with director Frédéric Forestier and a presentation from yours truly (in French, out in September).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Uncle Jake on 10 May 2017, 09:47

Will it have forced French subtitles like other French releases? I hope not.
Uncle Jake

Postby Jox on 10 May 2017, 10:15

I don't know yet...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 10 May 2017, 20:01

Nice :D
I hope it will work fine and be successful, as MetroFilms is on a good streak of releasing nice B movies on BR (as with the albert pyun bipack of Nemesis and Mean Guns with a heartful interview with Christopher Lambert). I might buy this pack (yeah, I just took the step of buying a BR player).
bomaz

Postby Jox on 10 May 2017, 20:09

It's gonna be available on DVD as well! :wink:
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Scifibuff5 on 06 Jun 2017, 00:54

It's wild, I don't recall The Minion being shown on USA Network but it used to often be shown here on FX Network, back when it played mostly anything (indie, TV or DTV) by Artisan, Nu Image or Dimension Films during the morning hours.

USA network was the main one who premiered his 1998 film Black Jack though and I think they did the initial VHS release before Dimension Films became home distributor owner.

This film is a wild type of film as it's during the heyday where all Roy Scheider would do would appear to play the President in low budget flicks (Chain of Command- 2000, Executive Target- 1997, etc.) and this film is just interesting because while it's not high art, it's also not deadly offensive and competently made in some areas unlike other Air Force One/Die Hard type actioners.

I think Dolph did a superior job in similar productions like The Defender.
"No, I haven't seen any of [the new 'Punisher' movies]," - Dolph in 2009 MTV News Interview
Scifibuff5

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies