COMMAND PERFORMANCE (Dolph Lundgren, 2009)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: COMMAND PERFORMANCE (2009)

Postby Nathan on 14 Nov 2009, 18:29

It's really disappointing, I thought this would make an even bigger impact than Missionary Man, considering the hype, the website by Jox, Dolphs inclusion in The Expendables, a better plot and budget, just EVERYTHING pointed towards a bigger seller. I think thought that First Look fucked things up a helluva lot, they have not the first clue what they are doing. Other than that I don't understand it, Dolph is in a much better position now than he was back in 2007.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Tom on 14 Nov 2009, 18:44

Possibly as well, with all the promo Dolph's been doing the MAJOR point of interest has been The Expendables. To some extent, with all his recent appearences, some may have ended up even forgetting the DTV film he'd released as well. Despite him going on these shows to plug it. "Shall we rent this DL straight to video film?" "No, wait and see him on the big screen next year, or we'll just download this Die Hard at a Rock Concert film that cost 2 bucks to make probably!" I would guess, a few conversations went that way sadly.

I'd also guess that when he did the Promo for MM, there it would have been Dolph coming out from the wilderness for a lot of people. Probably their first delving into a D flick for years, maybe seen JM, or even Unisol. And lets be honest, to the general movie renting public, MM isn't exactly great.

In many regards, that would have left a proportion of those, probably with curiosity satisfied, and then with little desire to see another DL DTV film.

Sadly as well, there would be those who have followed up MM, with DD and DC (and heaven forbid the few who endured Retrograde!). Which is not a good string of movies to release together. Those who've stuck through that list will be getting fewer and fewer.

I don't think this reflects on Dolphs popularity too negatively. He's definitely now hitting a popularity level higher than he's had for well over a decade. But for the majority re-discovering and re-appreciating Dolph, it's gonna be The Expendables that they'll mark out on their calender. In all truth, it will possibly be the best film DL has appeared in.

I expect because of fairly positive reviews, and fair word of mouth, that CP will gross more than DD or DC. But to have the same impact as MM is asking a lot. Especially as the way they seem to work out rental's has changed since then. And renting in general has been affected since then by more and more downloading
Tom
Regular

Postby Warchild on 14 Nov 2009, 20:12

Nathan wrote:It's really disappointing, I thought this would make an even bigger impact than Missionary Man, considering the hype, the website by Jox, Dolphs inclusion in The Expendables, a better plot and budget, just EVERYTHING pointed towards a bigger seller. I think thought that First Look fucked things up a helluva lot, they have not the first clue what they are doing. Other than that I don't understand it, Dolph is in a much better position now than he was back in 2007.

I agree First Look has Fu$%^ it up, starting with the DVD cover which i've seen a guy holding a gun over a thousand times, to many people who sees a shitty DVD cover like that at Blockbuster isn't worth picking it up, because to many people it's another cheap action movie but not knowing what the plot is because the DVD cover doesn't indicate anything towards it, they could have done alot better, also i think alot of people downloaded CP from the internet instead of renting.
Warchild
Regular

Postby MikeR on 14 Nov 2009, 20:24

Warchild wrote:
Nathan wrote:It's really disappointing, I thought this would make an even bigger impact than Missionary Man, considering the hype, the website by Jox, Dolphs inclusion in The Expendables, a better plot and budget, just EVERYTHING pointed towards a bigger seller. I think thought that First Look fucked things up a helluva lot, they have not the first clue what they are doing. Other than that I don't understand it, Dolph is in a much better position now than he was back in 2007.

I agree First Look has Fu$%^ it up, starting with the DVD cover which i've seen a guy holding a gun over a thousand times, to many people who sees a shitty DVD cover like that at Blockbuster isn't worth picking it up, because to many people it's another cheap action movie but not knowing what the plot is because the DVD cover doesn't indicate anything towards it, they could have done alot better, also i think alot of people downloaded CP from the internet instead of renting.

You're right, that cover is absolutely indistinguishable from any number of others. I remember when DD came out in the UK it was on sale alongside dozens of movies with Van Damme, Seagal and the others - and it was only the photo of the star that was different. Since many of the other movies were old and on re-release it's hardly surprising people passed it over.

Mind you, at least they released DD over here. CP still isn't on the radar.

As for downloading from the Internet - yep, gonna hurt - especially with such a drawn out release schedule around the World. By the time it comes out in Europe a huge share of the audience will have downloaded it and the movie studio has no one to blame but themselves.

M.
MikeR

Postby Moltisanti on 14 Nov 2009, 20:50

First and foremost I'm glad COMMAND PERFORMANCE was a good film. Wish it could have charted because it deserves some success but I think Tom has a good point in that after DIAMOND DOGS, RETROGRADE, and DIRECT CONTACT (which I liked, but it's a mess) there may have been a lot of casual action fans who didn't feel like checking out COMMAND right away. But on the bright side it seems like the reaction from those who have seen it, both from hardcore and general fans, has been positive. So in time hopefully the movie will be seen by more people due to word of mouth.

It's now a blessing that Lundgren decided to do US3. No matter the quality I'm betting that one is a huge hit on DVD, both because it's part of a familiar franchise and because it's being distributed by Sony. There are a lot of things that Sony screws up, but they know how to market DTV flicks way better than First Look.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Jox on 14 Nov 2009, 21:04

Moltisanti wrote:there may have been a lot of casual action fans who didn't feel like checking out COMMAND right away.

I don't think the problem comes from action fans since most where actually waiting for it since the beginning and we managed to spread quite a good buzz for a Dolph flick. The challenge is and always has been to enlarge the target audience and that's what I had hope this movie could achieve (and it's the most commercial project Dolph did on his own, in DTV scale it's like a blockbuster). It's too early, maybe Dolph is given more precise figures on rentals and sales, and I hope indeed the word of mouth can be better than the effects of first echoes from Vern's review (who was sent out a screener way too early)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 14 Nov 2009, 21:14

Now that I've seen the film Vern's review is even more baffling, especially when you consider how he gave favorable reviews to MISSIONARY MAN, DIRECT CONTACT, and even DIAMOND DOGS.

In terms of trying to attract casual fans, last week was a tough one. If people were just looking for a new action film on DVD they had G.I. JOE and TAKING OF PELHAM 123 which also premiered on disc the same day as COMMAND. Throw in a new Gooding Jr./Kilmer DTV flick and it gets harder and harder for COMMAND to compete. The casual fan wouldn't have seen a COMMAND trailer or paid attention to online buzz. All they see is a DVD cover.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 14 Nov 2009, 22:13

Moltisanti wrote:In terms of trying to attract casual fans, last week was a tough one. If people were just looking for a new action film on DVD they had G.I. JOE and TAKING OF PELHAM 123 which also premiered on disc the same day as COMMAND.

Hm, Pelham maybe, two big names, a big movie, an interesting story. But is G.I. Joe really the same audience than CP? I've seen the trailer and it's such utter crap, it seem that to everyone outside the U.S. and older than 20, this is unbearable. Or not? I would think that the Dolph audience is older than the G.I. Joe audience. And less unreflectedly patriotic.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 15 Nov 2009, 03:44

Both COMMAND and JOE are action movies. Whether JOE would appeal to audiences outside of the U.S. doesn't really matter for the sake of last week's video rental rankings since those figures are based on what was rented in the U.S. What's the typical movie fan gonna rent if they want an action fix? The big budget summer film or the DTV one starring Lundgren? Folks like us would take the Lundgren flick but we are a rare breed.

For what it's worth JOE is a fun movie. Very cartoonish but it's based on a comic/cartoon/toy so it's fine if its got plenty of cheese. Plus it's not all that uber-patriotic for America since the JOE team is supposed to almost be a U.N. peacekeeper type force with soldiers from all over the globe. Not to mention the movie actually jumps around from one part of the world to another (France, Japan, North Pole, etc).
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Jox on 15 Nov 2009, 11:35

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Command-P ... view/6493/
Blu-ray review

MUSIC VIDEO for PILIGRIM's song "Ne Gasite Svechu / Keep The Candle Burning"

.AVI (40 MB)

.VOB (DVD, 280 MB)

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Krom on 15 Nov 2009, 16:52

Very nice 8)
TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 16 Nov 2009, 00:28

Moltisanti wrote:Both COMMAND and JOE are action movies. Whether JOE would appeal to audiences outside of the U.S. doesn't really matter for the sake of last week's video rental rankings since those figures are based on what was rented in the U.S.

Sure, but I'm hoping that the overseas figures will be better.

it's not all that uber-patriotic for America since the JOE team is supposed to almost be a U.N. peacekeeper type force with soldiers from all over the globe. Not to mention the movie actually jumps around from one part of the world to another (France, Japan, North Pole, etc).

Ah, didn't know that. Saw the trailer, had to think of "S.W.A.T. meets Appollo 13" and was utterly disgusted. (BTW: Have never seen S.W.A.T - that trailer was more than enough, too)
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jack Caine on 16 Nov 2009, 00:32

Mosquito wrote:Ah, didn't know that. Saw the trailer, had to think of "S.W.A.T. meets Appollo 13" and was utterly disgusted. (BTW: Have never seen S.W.A.T - that trailer was more than enough, too)

Please don't bother with that movie. It is AWFUL!!!

CP, on the other hand, kicked so much ass that my backside was sore for the next 3 days.
"I come in peace!"
"But you go in pieces, a**hole!"
Jack Caine

Postby Mosquito on 16 Nov 2009, 01:27

Jack Caine wrote:CP, on the other hand, kicked so much ass that my backside was sore for the next 3 days.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 16 Nov 2009, 04:09

Jack Caine wrote:CP, on the other hand, kicked so much ass that my backside was sore for the next 3 days.

NICE :mrgreen:
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies