COMMAND PERFORMANCE (Dolph Lundgren, 2009)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Jox on 17 Mar 2008, 15:34

Tom wrote:What would be quite interesting is if Dolph got someone like Tangerine Dream and then also got them to do the score as well. I might see if my uncles (used to be a member of TD) interested!

I would love that because I love TD (mostly their 70's and 80's stuff) but wouldn't be weird to have TD as the band in the film?
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 18 Mar 2008, 23:54

Jox wrote:I would love that because I love TD (mostly their 70's and 80's stuff) but wouldn't be weird to have TD as the band in the film?

Indeed. I think TD is too calm for an action movie. But in general I prefer instrumental music. It isn't as dominant as vocal music. There are exceptions. The soundtrack of Full Metal Jacket is outstanding although it is very dominant. The songs just underline the sarcastic tone of the movie. I loooove Surfing Bird, not only in this movie. And These Boots Are Made for Walking is just gold. You just have to have a veeeery good expert to pick songs, songs that fit to the general spirit of the movie.

Another soundtrack that I really like is the one from The Last Mohican. But that kind of "bombastic" music calls for outstanding pictures that ooze the big budget that's behind them. And it is so good that I noticed it *although* it fits perfectly.

Those heavy metal / speed metal soundtracks they use in some movies are *so* targeted at young males with too much testosterone. I guess I'm too old for that shit. And too female. ;-) And I don't think that young males are the biggest group in Dolph's fan base, or am I wrong here? Maybe you have some facts, Jox.

Yesterday I watched No Country for Old Men. Excellent movie. And I guess the soundtrack was very good, too. Because I didn't notice the music at all. Can't name/recall a single song. Fit in so smoothly that it was unnoticeable. Just perfect.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 19 Mar 2008, 03:58

One of the unique aspects to NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN is that there is no music in the film, unless you count that brief part of the mariachi band that plays when Josh Brolin crosses into Mexico.

Speaking of which, when are the Coen Bros. gonna cast Lundgren in something?
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Jox on 19 Mar 2008, 11:46

Mosquito wrote:Another soundtrack that I really like is the one from The Last Mohican.

One of my favorite of course, totally awesome!

Those heavy metal / speed metal soundtracks they use in some movies are *so* targeted at young males with too much testosterone. I guess I'm too old for that shit. And too female. ;-) And I don't think that young males are the biggest group in Dolph's fan base, or am I wrong here? Maybe you have some facts, Jox.

Agreed. Although I believe will have to choose a band that sounds 2008, without having to be phony. I don't have much more age facts than you do Mosquito, I did a survey on this very forum but very few people answered. But I believe Dolph's main fan base will be in their mid-20's-early or mid-30's...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 19 Mar 2008, 22:24

I´d have to lean towards Krom´s answer on this one. Maybe not excactly Megadeth but it needs to be metal. And I´ll tell you why... Cause metal is fckng totally awesome and badass just like Dolph Lundgren is, whereas, a bombastic orchestral score or the sound track from "In her shoes", or whatever you were talking about, is just a little tiny bit too... INSANELY GAY. If you know what I mean. :wink:

It could be Fear Factory or Superfly or old Sepultura. Heavy and groovy.

Like "(Let the) bodies (hit the floor)", but with a less melodic (=gay) verse.

And the band in the movie needs to be my band. Anything else would suck (and not in the good way).

Peace
dolphage
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 20 Mar 2008, 00:10

dolphage wrote:Cause metal is fckng totally awesome and badass

Nah. It sucks. Big time.

dolphage wrote:whereas, a bombastic orchestral score or the sound track from "In her shoes", or whatever you were talking about, is just a little tiny bit too... INSANELY GAY.

I can't tell because I don't watch that kind of movies. ;)

dolphage wrote:It could be Fear Factory or Superfly or old Sepultura. Heavy and groovy.

N....N...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo....!!!

@Moltisanti: Thanks for letting me know about NCfOM. Now I know why I didn't notice the music. It wasn't there. ;-) But still fascinating: Normally I miss music when there's a movie without. See what masterpiece this one is.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 21 Mar 2008, 14:59

I think it should be a punchy/catchy rock band, but I'm not too fond of metal stuff like Sepultura or Megadeath (and I hate when people cut clips from Dolph's movies with it and post in Youtube)...

Or what about something more in the vein of Depeche Mode or The Cure?
(plus it would be realistic if he was part the band, rather than being a 40/50 year-old drummer of teen pop singers in their 20's!)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Darling on 21 Mar 2008, 23:13

I like the Music of Depeche Mode, but the Cure not so much.
What do you think about Rammstein or The Queen or a Rock Band like Jon Bon Jovi?
By the Way for an Action-Movie the Best is Rock-Music
Darling
Regular

Postby manudenis2005 on 22 Mar 2008, 03:16

I'll pick...Rammstein.
manudenis2005
manudenis2005
Regular

Postby Darling on 22 Mar 2008, 14:04

Yes, I also prefer Rammstein! The right Music to play the Drummer.Hard Music for a hard Action Movie.
Darling
Regular

Postby dolphage on 22 Mar 2008, 14:22

Rammstein would be great!

But how could you make an action movie with The Cure´s music in it? I just can´t see that working. At all.

I LOVE it when people put together Dolph clips, add a metal song to it and post it on YouTube. It always makes my day.

BTW I would like to give credit to Joxie for bringing up this subject as he normally HATES it when we speculate about DL´s future projects. He likes realistic cold hard facts and now he´s talking about Depeche Mode lending their music to a Dolph movie. It´s a little alarming to see this regression down to my level of intellectuality. But I like it.
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 22 Mar 2008, 15:32

dolphage wrote:But how could you make an action movie with The Cure´s music in it? I just can´t see that working. At all.

Well the fact is since it's a Die-Hard in a rock concert, I don't see the band keeping playing when the bad guys show up so... I mean of course I don't see them being able to sign The Cure to be in CP (and I'm not necessarily a fan either, but they sure bring crowds when they perform)!

BTW I would like to give credit to Joxie for bringing up this subject as he normally HATES it when we speculate about DL´s future projects. He likes realistic cold hard facts and now he´s talking about Depeche Mode lending their music to a Dolph movie. It´s a little alarming to see this regression down to my level of intellectuality. But I like it.

LOL and thanks dolphage haha!
True I usually don't like speculations (guess mostly because in 20 years of dolph-fan-ness I had been disappointed too many times, and also because I'm getting a little more acquainted with the in and outs of the movie industry...
BUT: in this case I do have a totally different perspective since I had a few words about it with the man himself (so if there's a consensus among fans I could always send him suggestions). Also, this is not a project for chamber music(not that I actually listen to it) so I accept it for what it is, but and for what potential it can have by bringing another crowd onto the table...

And other than that I don't know anything about the storyline, but I hope (and expect) that Dolph brings out something fresh (I also think he and Barry Evans want it to be pretty violent) to an old concept. I guess it should be more in the vein of "The Defender" in a way, crazy camera moves, fast faced and action packed...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 22 Mar 2008, 16:12

the cure in an action movie ? watche judge dredd and think back :wink:
bomaz

Postby Mosquito on 22 Mar 2008, 22:28

Jox wrote:And other than that I don't know anything about the storyline, but I hope (and expect) that Dolph brings out something fresh (I also think he and Barry Evans want it to be pretty violent) to an old concept. I guess it should be more in the vein of "The Defender" in a way, crazy camera moves, fast faced and action packed...

Sounds very promising as long as "crazy camera moves" doesn't mean "that bloody shaky cam that everyone uses since Blair Witch Project".

This may surprise you but I think one or two Rammstein tracks might work. Yes, I've said it. Though you should consider yourself lucky that you don't understand their lyrics because I think they are pretty sick. And of course we don't want an English Rammstein song in a Dolph movie because that thick accent would drive the audience out of the room immediately.

I loved "Sweet Home Alabama" in Con Air. What do you think? Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top.

But seriously, if you want a great soundtrack that fits to the movie, ask the guy who is responsible for the music in the Cohen Brothers's movies. Or the guy who was responsible for the first season of Nip/Tuck.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 23 Mar 2008, 02:36

I loved "Sweet Home Alabama" in Con Air. What do you think? Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top.

But seriously, if you want a great soundtrack that fits to the movie, ask the guy who is responsible for the music in the Cohen Brothers's movies. Or the guy who was responsible for the first season of Nip/Tuck.

Remember this is a Nu Image production :)
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies