JOSHUA TREE / ARMY OF ONE (Vic Armstrong, 1993)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: JOSHUA TREE / Army Of One (Vic Armstrong, 1993)

Postby alex.sp89 on 09 Dec 2021, 09:51

Jesus how many distribution companies does this movie have around the world ? American Blu ray featured MGM logo at the beginning , some old VHS 20th Century Fox Logo, now I see the Warner Bros logo on blu ray French Edition cover art ? Actually Vision was the only production company on this
alex.sp89

Postby Jox on 09 Dec 2021, 11:46

alex.sp89 wrote:now I see the Warner Bros logo on blu ray French Edition cover art ?

The design below is a FAKE :wink:
Jox wrote:Image

Jesus how many distribution companies does this movie have around the world ? American Blu ray featured MGM logo at the beginning , some old VHS 20th Century Fox Logo, now I see the Warner Bros logo on blu ray French Edition cover art ? Actually Vision was the only production company on this

Vision indeed produced it (as they previously did DARK ANGEL / I COME IN PEACE) and sold the distribution rights to various distributors worldwide at the time.

It went to Fox in a few territories such as Spain, Brazil, Australia, to indies like Entertainment Film in the UK and Metropolitan Filmexport in France, to Live Entertainment in the United States etc.. but soon enough company got shutdown and MGM acquired their catalogue (and the Vision executives formed MDP Worldwide, which made MEN OF WAR).

To this day, MGM stills owns the global rights of the film and sells them to distributors through the company Park Circus (or at the time of the Shout! Factory release, through Hollywood Classics).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby alex.sp89 on 10 Dec 2021, 12:00

What actually did happen that this movie also didn't get a theatrical release ? It is very good and deserved it and doesn't look cheap. U can compare it to Hard Target, Nowhere to Run, On Deadly Ground releases around the same time even if their budgets were huge.
Can someone trust to the numbers presented on imbd, wikipedia about budget and box office, even mojo changes their numbers sometimes. I remember Universal Soldier on Wiki (about 7-8 years ago) was listed to make 100-105 mil at he box office, later on info was deleted and presented only 36 millions domestic US box office, today is listed 95 millions?
Stallone sued WB because at the time of Demolition Man release it was considered a flop, few years ago he checked it on wiki or somewhere else and he realized it made a lot of money and WB didn't want to share the profit with him according his contract ( percentage from box office). Jox can u clarify this to us if u are competent ?
Last edited by alex.sp89 on 11 Dec 2021, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.
alex.sp89

Postby TEMIRLAN on 11 Dec 2021, 07:20

i wondered this question too. plus this was right after universal soldier's big success. would've been logical to release a movie with one of its stars theatrically.
TEMIRLAN

Postby Jox on 11 Dec 2021, 16:55

alex.sp89 wrote:Can someone trust to the numers presended on imbd, wikipedia about budget and box office, even mojo changes their numbers sometimes. I remember Universal Soldier on Wiki (abou 7-8 years ago) was listed to make 100-105 mil at he box office, later on info was deleted and presented only 36 millons domestiv US box office, today is listed 95 millions?

What you can trust is that UNISOL made about $36 million domestic and $102 million worldwide

What actually did happen that this movie also didn,t get a theatrical release ? It is very good and deserved it and doesn't lok cheap. U can compare it to Hard Target, Nowhere to run, On Deadly Ground releases around the same time even if their budgets were huge.

It was a matter of choice from each distributors. It did get a theatrical release in most countries except in the US, the UK, and Germany. The French theatrical release was a decent-sized release although it came out at the wrong time and flopped...

As for the countries that made it straight-to-video (and direct to cable for the US before the video release), I was told several time that the distributors did not believe much that Dolph couldn't draw audiences to theatres as a lead heroic character rather than as a bad guy.

In the US, Live Entertainment picked up the rights and it was a company that was more of a home video label. They released theatrical films on VHS that were big movies such as Carolco's T2, BASIC INSTINCT and UNIVERSAL SOLDIER but al their lower budgets went to straight to cable and video. JOSHUA TREE, retitled ARMY OF ONE, aired on HBO first and then on VHS and Laserdisc 8 months later...

TEMIRLAN wrote:i wondered this question too. plus this was right after universal soldier's big success. would've been logical to release a movie with one of its stars theatrically.

I completely agree that this should have gone theatrically domestic notably after UNIVERSAL SOLDIER but sadly it didn't. Yet the movie today found some audience and can be seen as a little cult movie...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 29 Mar 2022, 12:20

Is there hope for a release of Joel Goldsmith's score?
https://buysoundtrax.myshopify.com/sear ... +GOLDSMITH
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 08 May 2022, 10:03

Theatrical Mexican poster

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 19 May 2022, 12:05

Japanese video release promo poster

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 24 May 2022, 19:29

Spanish-dubbed trailer

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 11 Jun 2022, 19:23

30 years ago, cameras were about to roll on JOSHUA TREE, which reportedly started filming on June 15th 1992.

Below is the cover of an advance press kit folder including production notes released by Vision International fairly shortly after production:

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 31 Jul 2022, 10:10

Harrison Ford, Pierce Brosnan Praise John McTiernan, Vic Armstrong at London Action Festival Awards (EXCLUSIVE)
https://variety.com/2022/film/global/ha ... 235329790/

Harrison Ford praised Armstrong, saying: “We’ve been doing this Vic for like 50 years! You’ve had the good sense to turn it into a directing job ‘cos this running, jumping and falling down thing is a game for the young guys. The audiences loved the work you’ve guided in the Indiana Jones films. People don’t really understand what goes into an action film and it’s a very complicated, technical issues these days. It’s been a great pleasure to work with you, sir.”

James Bond producer, Barbara Broccoli, said: “You certainly had an auspicious start to the Bond films, propelling down that rope in Blofeld’s volcano in 1967 in ‘You Only Live Twice.’ You’ve collaborated with us on so many Bond films and I’m very grateful to you.”

Fellow Bond producer Michael G. Wilson, said: “Vic, you shared our philosophy when it came to stunts, and that was you did as much as you could for real. You were a one stop shop — you secured the locations, you designed the stunts, you ensured they were shot with style and pace, you were a true collaborator with the director. Sequences like the motorcycle chase in Thailand on ‘Tomorrow Never Dies,’ the boat chase on the Thames that opened up ‘The World is Not Enough’ and the car chase on ice, that was something, for ‘Die Another Day.’ They were some of the most iconic Bond moments.”

Pierce Brosnan added: “We have some many great moments you and I in saving the world in the great realm of James Bond movies. One’s that I will cherish in my heart forever and being in your company.”
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 19 Aug 2022, 18:17

From "The Los Angeles Times", May 11, 1993
(possibly the reshoots)

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 24 Aug 2022, 17:21

Tape from South Africa

Notice the bottom JT logo, which is the same as on the advance press kit and publicity materials from Vision International...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 31 Aug 2022, 14:32

I was today years old when i noticed that Kristian Alfonso played... in Friends, although not sharing screentime with Dolph co star Courtney Cox
bomaz

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies