JOSHUA TREE / ARMY OF ONE (Vic Armstrong, 1993)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: JOSHUA TREE / ARMY OF ONE (Vic Armstrong, 1993)

Postby Jox on 10 Apr 2015, 01:22

ShawnWatson wrote:Agua Dulce is likely where Severence's house was.

Apparently the warehouse stuff too.

ShawnWatson wrote: but the exact address is a tough one.

But how do you want to know/find out? Especially in these remote places, addresses are never like in the cities (but does that matter much?)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby ShawnWatson on 10 Apr 2015, 04:02

Rita pulls up outside the house under a big pylon. I followed the pylons all around Agua Dulce and I found nowt.
ShawnWatson

Postby ShawnWatson on 10 Apr 2015, 04:31

FOUND IT!

35815 Dormer Road, Agua Dulce

ShawnWatson

Postby ShawnWatson on 13 Apr 2015, 20:01

ShawnWatson

Postby ShawnWatson on 13 Apr 2015, 20:35

Shoeshine's Chopshop?

14801 Sierra Hwy, Santa Clarita, California, USA
ShawnWatson

Postby Jox on 09 Jun 2015, 00:05

Al Leong interview:
You’ve been in many great films that don’t get the same recognition as others. How was your experience working on Joshua Tree and Dark Angel (a.k.a. I Come in Peace) with Dolph Lundgren?

Joshua Tree was a waste of time and I really don’t remember it. I Come in Peace was fun because Craig Baxley is always a blast to work for.

http://theactionelite.com/2015/06/inter ... -al-leong/

I guess he calls "a waste of time" because he's not in it that much (and maybe got a cut a bit, I think the garage shout-out took a couple of weeks to shoot so he probably felt being being on set for that long wasn't worth it)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 09 Jun 2015, 05:03

Think he's only in one shot during the whole film, at least during the shootout.

I'm glad he was in it because it gave Lundgren a chance to kill him, which I don't think he had done in SHOWDOWN and he certainly didn't get to off him in I COME IN PEACE.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Krom on 29 Aug 2015, 23:02

Never seen before?

TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular

Postby Jox on 30 Aug 2015, 00:42

This Turkish poster has been on ebay a couple of times before, I own a print of it.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 07 Oct 2015, 16:26

Chronique de L'HOMME DE GUERRE et AU DESSUS DE LA LOI par le jamais impartial Yannick Dahan

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 09 Nov 2015, 18:48

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/post/132865269636/the-horrific-story-behind-austin-powers-joe-son
Interesting and disturbing tale about one of Jimmy Shoe-Shines henchman. The short stocky Asian dude who battles Dolph hand to hand during the warehouse shootout. He's appeared in a few other B action films as well as Austin Powers.
Tom
Regular

Postby Krom on 09 Nov 2015, 20:36

Wow, i will always remember him from Joshua Tree..
TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular

Postby Jox on 09 Nov 2015, 22:55

I had heard about that a while ago, didn't I post a story? Anyway that's creepy to say the less...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 04 Feb 2016, 15:35

Director Vic Armstrong in Impact UK, August 1993:
http://www.impactonline.co/film/2232-vi ... ew-part-1/
Bey Logan: Vic, your directorial debut, Joshua Tree, is out soon from the Entertainment Group. Right now, there hasn't been too much press about it, so can you tell us a little about the movie?

Vic Armstrong: Sure. It's an action thriller. I didn't want to just make Joshua Tree, as my first film, into a crash-and-burn one, which is the temptation, always, or at least it's the expectation people have, considering my background. You see, now I'm doing Black Beauty, with all the magic that children expect from Black Beauty. Anything but crash-and-burn! Having said all that, Joshua Tree has some strong action moments in it. There's a nice car chase, but I approached the car chases differently. Rather than skidding and smoking tyres as they go around corners, I made it more balletic, with lots of helicopter shots. It's between a Ferrari 140 and a Lamborghini Countach. Then we've got a huge shoot-out in it, and I went over the top on that and made it into a Sergio Leone/ oriental-type shoot-out, because I thought it needed some kind of stylising, and because I love Sergio Leone! Basically, the film is a road film. It's a great vehicle for Dolph (Lundgren), and it's by far his best performance ever, and he's come over very well in it. He looks superb. It's the story of an innocent man who's accused and convicted of something he didn't really do. He's a little shady around the edges. About half way through the film, it does a one ¬hundred-and-eighty flip around, and you realise that the good guys are the bad guys! He's being chased by George Segal and Beau Stan, who turn out to have conned good cop Geoffrey Lewis. It's got a nice story and a good plotline running through it. A few twists. It's not too predictable. I guess people will presume Dolph is innocent, but the evidence against him looks pretty daunting at the beginning…

Bey Logan: Considering that the last time we saw Dolph as the Universal Soldier character, maybe they WON'T believe he's innocent…

Vic Armstrong: Exactly. They might believe he is the baddie, and in that respect it's quite good. It won't be out until the autumn. It was supposed to be out last spring, but I finished my cut at Christmas time and went away and left it, and basically I hated the cut that the producers had done, so I went back and explained why. They totally agreed and they recut it the way that I had it. However, it sold so well, and they made so much money from abroad that they decided that they wanted to build up the climax of the movie, the final confrontation between Dolph and the two bad guys, which was a very valid point. It's always different when you see a film cut together in terms of how the end measures up to the rest of the movie. The middle of Joshua Tree is so strong, with this Sergio Leone shootout, you need to try to finish on a higher note, if you can, which is difficult when it's one man against two. We shot for two more days, and they're now sticking that stuff in. It was too late for a spring release, and I didn't want it to come out this summer against Cliffhanger and Last Action Hero!

Bey Logan: I haven't seen the whole film yet, but I've seen various trailers for it. I thought the garage shootout had, as you say, very much a John Woo style to it…

Vic Armstrong: Yes. We went very John Woo-ish. I know because I've talked to him a lot, that John took a lot of his style from Sergio Leone. I don't find any guilt in copying other people's styles. When I did Henry V, I did Agincourt on that, I went in to see Ken Branagh and he explained what he wanted with the rain and everything, and I said "To me, this sounds like Seven Samurai by Kurasawa", and he goes "Exactly! Exactly! I keep telling these guys I want Kurasawa and they don't know what I'm talking about!" So I did the rain and the slo-¬mo and the long lens stuff.

Bey Logan: So you'd been influenced by the Eastern film-makers before Joshua Tree

Vic Armstrong: Oh, yeah. I spoke to John Woo and I said "You're probably going to hate me after this, John, because I stole all your gags, all the double-guns and so on…" He said: "Vic, don't feel bad. I've been stealing from you for years…"

Bey Logan: I heard that you had to re-shoot the ending of Universal Soldier. Why was that?

Vic Armstrong: Again, as with Joshua Tree, the ending wasn't big enough compared to what had gone on before.

http://www.impactonline.co/film/2279-vi ... ew-part-3/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby ShawnWatson on 16 Mar 2016, 15:22

I have recently filled out the T gallery on the IMDb with many stills and I have corrected the main image to the one-sheet poster art.

I have also added many pics to SILT, Dark Angel, Red Scorpion, and The Punisher.
ShawnWatson

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies