SWEEPERS (Keoni Waxman, 1998)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: SWEEPERS

Postby Jox on 28 Sep 2009, 10:10

There's a lot of flaws and cheesy stuff in SWEEPERS but I think it's always been really underrated. (more deserving than say BRIDGE OF DRAGONS for instance).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 28 Sep 2009, 15:45

I'd say Sweepers is pretty bad. It's in the bottom 1/3 of all of DL's films.

About fifteen years ago it seemed like the Dolpherado was trying to become the "thinking man's" action hero. However, the demands on an overall classy production increases a lot when you venture away from mindless actioncheese and he never got the back up needed to make those kinds of movies work.

Sweepers is a good example of that. It's a little more ambitious than most Dolph flicks and thus it falls from a greater height when it falls.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 28 Sep 2009, 16:30

Well you know this was mostly a typical Nu Image (quite decent budget though compared to BOD) and was produced by Danny Lerner who was also second unit director on this one so that says a lot about its limit to be a more serious / ambitious action film...

On a more superficial note, I thought the Dolph sported the Indiana Jones hat pretty well!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby algren on 28 Sep 2009, 17:05

Avi Lerner had something to do with it, too.
algren

Postby Jox on 28 Sep 2009, 17:16

Of course as the Nu Image main suit, but Avi just signs the checks, from what I know and like many other producers he doesn't even read the scripts of the movies he produces. His brother Danny on the other hand is more hands-on, and though a really nice guy (and much like the Menahem Golan type that think people don't care about details and can be fooled by stunt guys and explosions), has absolutely no taste or clue when it comes to make a "good" or "serious" movie (as DC shows even to make a cheesy fest), so he can do some damage that brings down the credibility of a movie.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 28 Sep 2009, 19:53

Well said
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 29 Sep 2009, 21:54

Jox wrote:On a more superficial note, I thought the Dolph sported the Indiana Jones hat pretty well!

Yeah, in general I think he's not a hat guy but this one is nice, maybe because the rim is so big.

I like Sweepers and I've even heard from Dolph critics "Hey, this actually has a good story, what happened?" :twisted:
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Warchild on 29 Sep 2009, 22:13

This is one movie of Dolph's i haven't seen, but from what i saw in the trailer it looks good and the Hat looks good on Dolph
Warchild
Regular

Postby Travis on 07 Oct 2009, 09:39

I hated Sweepers when it first came out. I just watched my DVD of it the other night and I thought it is a pretty good movie, especially in the second half. I also like the music.
Travis
Regular

Postby Nathan on 07 Oct 2009, 18:34

Noticed this topic was getting some attention so I watched Sweepers last night. Yes, it does suffer from tonnes of cliches, yes the editing and direction and script are bad in some places, yes it's another late 90's Nu Image, let's just blow everything the fuck up type movie but Dolph is fun and the explosions are spectacular. Just as with a lot of Dolph movies if the script was neatened up, the acting less cheesy and someone had said "look that line is complete bullshit, people will laugh at that, take it out" then it would have been a lot better. Dolph's character is interesting in this one. My favourite action scene has to be the last 15 minutes, although the confrontation on the train lacks logic and common-sense as the "fight" with the bad guy is a little convoluded and "duhhhh!! hurry up and shoot him or he'll just find some highly cheesy novelty death type way to kill you".
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Re: SWEEPERS (1998)

Postby Sec on 11 Apr 2010, 12:14

Hi all, relatively new Dolph fan and new to this site, enjoying everything I have seen him in so far.

The Australian DVD of Sweepers is in 4:3 aspect ratio, IMDB lists its ratio as 1.85:1. Is there a proper widescreen release of this around?
www.explosiveaction.com : action movie reviews of the direct-to-video variety
Sec

Postby Jox on 11 Apr 2010, 12:26

Hey welcome on board Sec!

The only widescreen 1.85 release is the French edition, with only a French dubbed track! :evil:

Hoping a Blu-ray could correct this in a near future...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Sec on 11 Apr 2010, 12:30

Thanks for the welcome :) UGH that is a shame, I hate watching movies full screen. I went out of my way to get the French edition of The Peacekeeper to avoid 4:3 travesties!

Are the running times the same? If they were it would be relatively simple to make a custom DVD using the video from the French edition and the audio from the Australian/UK/US edition.
Sec

Postby Jox on 11 Apr 2010, 12:55

Yeah at least the French DVD of THE PEACEKEEPER is in widescreen AND with the English track.

If you take two PAL copies it would be the same runtime, except for maybe an additional logo. I've been wanting to try to do that myself but I don't have the proper equipment to make nicely synced dub.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Sec on 11 Apr 2010, 13:00

I have some experience in hobby-level video/audio editing so would have a go at this, but don't have any copy of the film yet. The Australian Sweepers disc is cheap so I can pick that up. How much does the French-only edition go for? Or better yet if someone wanted to rip a copy of the French DVD and upload/post it to me I could have a go at synching, then distribute the completed widescreen English disc in a pay-it-forward fashion.
Sec

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies