Danish western comedy?

Got some new info on the man? Curious to find out what's new? Check in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Danish western comedy?

Postby Jox on 24 May 2009, 10:14

Warchild wrote:Jox are you saying that the reason Dolph hasn't done a western is because of the budget is not big enough to make a western

Yeah for sure, budget and schedule, Dolph said it himself. Not mentioning the hard and time consuming task or wrangling horses which cause much problems and delays than motorcycles...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Warchild on 24 May 2009, 18:53

Kasper F. Nielsen wrote:If your western takes place in a city at all, then you need to build the city yourself and that's no cheap task. Period pieces are always more expensive, just look at the tv-series "Rome" which, even though it was a huge success, got cancelled because of its gigantic budget.

I though they already had movies sets set up, just for westerns, i mean like old towns to shoot westerns, do they always take it down once a movie is done and then set up again once another movie is ready to shoot?

Yes, i knew the horses could probably be a challenege, but there is so many made for TV low budget westerns that i've seen some good some bad. Maybe Dolph knows with a small budget the movie won't look that great in the end and look like a cheap movie.

Aces and Eights i think was done with 2 million dollar budget and it ain't that bad, check out the trailer at you tube :mrgreen:
Warchild
Regular

Postby Warchild on 24 May 2009, 18:57

Warchild
Regular

Postby MikeR on 25 Jun 2009, 23:47

Warchild wrote:
Kasper F. Nielsen wrote:If your western takes place in a city at all, then you need to build the city yourself and that's no cheap task. Period pieces are always more expensive, just look at the tv-series "Rome" which, even though it was a huge success, got cancelled because of its gigantic budget.

I though they already had movies sets set up, just for westerns, i mean like old towns to shoot westerns, do they always take it down once a movie is done and then set up again once another movie is ready to shoot?

In the 1950s when Westerns were *the* genre, a lot of sets were semi-permanent and were reused from film to film. Some of them still survive on studio backlots around Hollywood. But as studios outsourced more stuff to wherever was cheapest and moved the rest on to soundstages, sets became a use-once-throw-away affair. many of the old sets were torn down in the 1970s when no one thought Westerns would ever make a come-back.

There are a few Western sets still standing; if you ever get to the lovely town of Tucson AZ, you're quite close to the Old Tucson Studios which were humming in the 1950s but are now mainly a tourist attraction. Though having said that I *THINK* HBO's 'Deadwood' was filmed at on sets at Santa Clarita in Northern LA.

Mind you, if you want a real Western town; drive North from LA through the Mojave to Owens Valley; keep going past Mammoth Mountain and the Inyo Volcanoes, past spooky Mono Lake and hang a right into the heart of the desert - and you end up at Bodie. Go at sunset as the sky turns indigo and the desert and old wood begin to glow the most unearthly orange and you can just imagine the possibilities:
http://www.bodie.com/.

But don't stay too late - after the sun goes down it gets pretty creepy to be the only living person in a town that once held 10,000!

M.
MikeR

Previous

Return to News / Rumors