CONAN THE BARBARIAN (Marcus Nispel, 2009) (prod. without DL)

Got some new info on the man? Curious to find out what's new? Check in here!

Moderator: Moderators

CONAN THE BARBARIAN (Marcus Nispel, 2009) (prod. without DL)

Postby Jox on 09 Nov 2009, 20:12

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/11/09/ex ... tial-role/

EXCLUSIVE: Dolph Lundgren Talking To 'Conan' Producers About Potential Role

A casting call may be out for the lead role in 'Conan,' since former franchise star Arnold Schwarzenegger is busy governing the State of California. Whether director Marcus Nispel agrees with Brett Ratner's perspective that the film's title character should be played by "an unknown" remains to be seen, but an established action movie legend and former face of the "Punisher" could make an appearance.

"I've talked to the producers about doing something for 'Conan,'" actor Dolph Lundgren told MTV News while promoting his direct-to-DVD film "Command Performance," which he co-wrote, directed and starred in.

Asked what type of role he'd be looking for, Lundgren cautioned that casting is still going on and whether there is a role for him at all likely wouldn't be decided until 2010.

"It's too early," he said, explaining that he didn't expect to know more until "probably next year."
Jox
Site Admin

Re: DON'T GET TOO EXCITED YET

Postby preacher on 09 Nov 2009, 21:21

O boy.
Just the fact that he is talking to the producers affirms that Dolph is on a roll.
preacher
Regular

Postby dolphage on 09 Nov 2009, 22:11

What part of "DON'T GET TOO EXCITED" don't you understand, preacher? JESUS!

Just kidding, this is awesome. And despite the fact that the chance of it happening is small I'm still PUMPED just thinking about it.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 09 Nov 2009, 22:42

preacher wrote:Just the fact that he is talking to the producers affirms that Dolph is on a roll.

Now that's the spirit soldier!" :mrgreen:
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 09 Nov 2009, 23:01

I can see Dolph as Conan's father, or perhaps like the Ben Davidson (James Earl Jones right hand man in the film) role in the original Conan film.

Hopefully this will happen, and it's also Nu Image too. Their thinking might be, that Dolph is getting a lot of positive media spotlight, and fan appreciation. There's a definite feeling of pro-Dolph in the air, since his Expendables announcement. The normally fickle AICN talkbackers, who are mostly haters, always seem to give Dolph, almost unanimous love. It's strange given his theatrical career after Rocky 4 was mostly a disaster. But there seems to be something cool about Dolph that people seem to respond well too. I think possibly because Dolph comes accross as very modest and likeable helps. Plus unlike Seagal and Van Damme, he's not had a lot of negative press coverage over the years. Not a lot of dirty laundry aired in public. To the casual moviegoers, or action fans, he's probably a bit more likeable I imagine.

What it also does, is add some star power to the support cast, and takes some wait off Roland Kickingers shoulders.

Fingers crossed. To be honest I don't think this film is going to be particularly good or anything. Not a patch on the original for sure. But it potentially could be worth watching, and it'll also be another big budget theatrical release for Dolph. A few roles like this, in amongst his directorial gigs would be great. I for one would love to see Dolph on the big screen a few times more after The Expendables.
Tom
Regular

Postby Warchild on 10 Nov 2009, 06:32

This is cool news, but does this mean Dolph might be a villain again, i mean what kinda role is he trying for ??
Warchild
Regular

Postby Nathan on 10 Nov 2009, 22:29

Fingers crossed everyone, this role sounds promising, I hope Dolph works it out with the producers because it's great to see him on the rise and witness his mini-comeback.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 11 Nov 2009, 00:24

I'm the first one to say it's still a long shot... but now it's all over the news they have to make this happen!
Jox
Site Admin

Re: DON'T GET TOO EXCITED YET: Dolph in CONAN?

Postby Warchild on 11 Nov 2009, 03:26

I mean why wouldn't they want to put Dolph in the Conan movie, i mean it's not like he is going to be the lead role of the movie or supporting actor, i think they should because Dolph is a great actor and has proven that in many of his movies.

Conan always had sidekicks in both his movies, i think Dolph should play one of them ofcourse Conan is going to need some help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkbB-X9654s&feature=fvw
Warchild
Regular

Postby Tom on 12 Nov 2009, 23:32

The one thing I think in the new Conan that will fall well short of the original, is the musical score. Basil Poledouris score in Conan The Barbarian is my favourite orchestral movie score ever. It's wonderful. It's unique, and a really good listen. In fact, if anything, it's even better played by itself.

The main thing that music did, was elevate the film itself. I love the first Conan, and it's grown on me more and more over the years, but like critics said, when it first came out, it had it's problems. But to me now, I see a certain charm in some of those problems, such as Arnies inconsistent, and very raw performance. At times in the film, he's never been better, but in others he's very amatuerish. But the music elevates the mood, and the story, and i'd also say, actually creates a chemistry between Schwarzenegger and Sandahl Bergman. So much of their relationship is visual (I think they exchange like 5 words in the film), but in large part because of the music, you really buy the love story.

It's probably one of the only remakes that makes me worry, first and foremost, because of the music.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 13 Nov 2009, 00:04

Maybe they'll do as with RAMBO, take someone like Brian Tyler to do the score, yet keep the Poledouris themes? The movie world miss the likes of Poledouris, Jerry Goldsmith a great deal anyway...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 13 Nov 2009, 17:09

As said in today's Action round-up:
I could give a crap about the CONAN remake--but if Dolph's on board, I can see my interest intensifying quite a bit. Bring on the Dolph!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby MikeR on 13 Nov 2009, 22:31

This could be awesome, though he's not likely to be the lead unless they're doing Conan as a flashback - IIRC when I read the books in the late Mesozoic, Conan's story starts with him as a teenager, but the books end with him as an old man.

IMHO Big D would have always been a better Conan than Arnold. Arnie's performance is nothing like the character in the books. The 'real' Conan is very much a sardonic, charismatic anti-hero; and Arnie's performance was just plain wooden. Big D has that wit and a slightly scary side which would have worked well on film.

So I guess him getting passed over in 'Thor' for James Kirk's dad might be a good thing?

M.
MikeR

Postby Catty on 17 Nov 2009, 18:34

This is just awesome. It will be very interesting to see a return of the Conan movies and yes I'd love to see DL in such a setting :D
Catty
Catty

Re: Dolph in CONAN?!

Postby Warchild on 03 Dec 2009, 03:01

Saw Conan the Barbarian yesterday, i mean i like the movie alot but, man, Arnold is a really bad actor in this movie but still people embraced him like a Hero in this movie, and i think this is the movie that started it all in Arnold's popularity, just like JC with Bloodsport, Dolph did such a much better job as an actor in movies like Punisher, Rocky 4 and masters of the universe, but people did not care, is it because everyone thinks he was Russian back then and since many people did not like Russia back then.
Warchild
Regular

Next

Return to News / Rumors