Dolph turned down 'Dragon Tattoo' role

Got some new info on the man? Curious to find out what's new? Check in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Dolph turned down 'Dragon Tattoo' role

Postby Jox on 09 Aug 2010, 15:57

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news ... -role.html
Dolph Lundgren has revealed that he turned down the chance to star in the original Girl With The Dragon Tattoo movies.

The Swedish action star, who portrays sniper Gunner Jensen in Sylvester Stallone's forthcoming movie The Expendables, told Digital Spy that he wasn't a fan of the part on offer in Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy.

"It's a huge series," Lundgren said. "I was actually offered a role in the early movies, but I didn't like the role and I thought it was something I could have done in Hollywood so I didn't do it in the Swedish-language version."

The actor added that he keen to make more projects in his home country, specifically a period piece that could bring in actors from across Europe.

"I'm looking to try and do stuff in Sweden," he said. "I think a period piece would fit well, whether it be Vikings... I don't know. Anything in the past. That's something I'm looking into."
Jox
Site Admin

Re: Dolph turned down 'Dragon Tattoo' role :(

Postby Tom on 09 Aug 2010, 19:00

That's a shame. It's exactly the sort of film he should be doing. There were no roles I recall as being particularly Lundgrenesque, so perhaps that played a part. He certainly wouldn't have been the lead, I'm sure of that.

But next time something interesting comes up, I hope he takes it. It would be a good change of pace to be in something respected and critically acclaimed, and outside of the action genre.
Tom
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 09 Aug 2010, 23:02

I haven't seen Valhalla Rising yet but judging from the trailer this would have been something for him. Glad that he's not in the new Hollywood "Thor" movie... that looks so despicable.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 09 Aug 2010, 23:45

Mosquito wrote:I haven't seen Valhalla Rising yet but judging from the trailer this would have been something for him.

Totally, something in that vein would be fantastic!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby MFS on 10 Aug 2010, 19:52

I suspect the role he turned down was "Ronald Niedermann", a large blond brute without the ability to feel pain, he is one of the main antagonists. Could have been a memorable character, but in the end just felt like a poor, cartoonish Bond-villain. I only liked the first of the three movies in the swedish Millenium trilogy, and "Ronald Niedermann" appears in the other two, which were originally made for tv and disappointingly mediocre. So I'm glad Dolph turned down the part, if that is indeed the character he was supposed to play. Can't imagine any other, really ...

Mosquito wrote:I haven't seen Valhalla Rising yet but judging from the trailer this would have been something for him. Glad that he's not in the new Hollywood "Thor" movie... that looks so despicable.

Valhalla Rising was ... okay, I guess. Lots of moody sequences and some merciless violence, but became confusing and muddled about halfway through, and the pace suddenly got veeery slow. I agree though, something similar, with vikings or "in the past" like Dolph mentions, would be perfect!
MFS

Postby Jox on 10 Aug 2010, 20:09

What do you Swedes think of "Red Orm", could it be a good viking vehicle for Dolph? I know it's one of his favorite novels, I've looked at it and had been thinking of taking a shot at adapting a loose version of it (mainly based on the last part when he's more in 40s and there's room for a good premise)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Warchild on 10 Aug 2010, 23:51

What is Red Orm about, i never read the book, i'm glad Dolph is still considering making a viking movie because it would something refreshing, just like Jill the ripper was something new and different instead of always blowing stuff up and always going on a revenge mission.

Bring the viking within Dolph :)
Warchild
Regular

Postby Jox on 11 Aug 2010, 00:11

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Ships#Setting

From Amazon description
This saga brings alive the world of the 10th century AD when the Vikings raided the coasts of England. Acclaimed as one of the best historical novels ever written, this engaging saga of Viking adventure in 10th century northern Europe has a very appealing young hero, Orm Tostesson, whose story we follow from inexperienced youth to adventurous old age, through slavery and adventure to a royal marriage and the search for great treasure. Viking expeditions take him to lands as far apart as England, Moorish Spain, Gaardarike (the country that was to become Russia), and the long road to Miklagard. The salt-sea spray, the swaying deck awash in slippery blood are the backdrop to fascinating stories of King Harald Blue Tooth, the Jomsvikings, attempts to convert the Northmen to Christianity, and much else.

I think "Book 4" could make a good adaptation for D
The year 1000 passes without Christ returning. In 1007, with Orm now forty-two, Orm's brother Are returns from the east, blind, mute and mutilated. He succeeds in telling of his fate with the help of runes: He had left Skåne in 978 and served in the Varangian guard of Basil II. Are participated in raid on a Bulgar castle at the mouths of the Danube with the aim of capturing the gold treasure of the Bulgar king. The emperor's treasurer made away with the gold, heading for Kiev, and Are pursued him. He succeeded to recapture the gold and hide it in the Dniepr, at the cataracts south of Kiev, but was later caught and mutilated, and with much luck made his way home to Denmark. Orm decides to travel to the Kievan Rus for the gold, and together with Toke and the Värend chieftain Olof (who is promised Orm's daughter Ludmilla upon their return) mans a ship. They travel by way of Visby, reaching the Dniepr via the Daugava and Beresina. They find the treasure, but are attacked by Pechenegs, and Orm's son Svarthöfde is captured. Orm pays a high ransom, but enough of the treasure remains to liberally reward his entire crew. They return to Skåne safely, just four days after Orm's farm had been attacked by outlaws led by the former priest Rainald who have abducted Ludmilla and other women. Orm heads a punitive expedition, the women are freed and Olof slays Rainald.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Warchild on 11 Aug 2010, 00:31

Looks interesting :)
Warchild
Regular

Postby MFS on 12 Aug 2010, 12:33

Jox wrote:What do you Swedes think of "Red Orm", could it be a good viking vehicle for Dolph? I know it's one of his favorite novels, I've looked at it and had been thinking of taking a shot at adapting a loose version of it (mainly based on the last part when he's more in 40s and there's room for a good premise)...

Röde Orm (directly translated as Red Snake for those who want to know), directed by and starring Dolph Lundgren, could be EPIC, in the right sense of the word. We're talking Gladiator or Braveheart-epic here 8). Though it's been filmed once, it was back in 1963, so more than enough time has passed for there to be made a new version. And like I've said before, a Dolph movie about vikings, even if it's an original script and not based on a novel or something else, is still a very good idea.
MFS

Re: Dolph turned down 'Dragon Tattoo' role

Postby Mosquito on 18 Aug 2010, 12:03

From the description Röde Orm looks really good - would be a a nice thought to see him there.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 27 Aug 2010, 14:59

MFS wrote:I suspect the role he turned down was "Ronald Niedermann", a large blond brute without the ability to feel pain, he is one of the main antagonists. Could have been a memorable character, but in the end just felt like a poor, cartoonish Bond-villain. I only liked the first of the three movies in the swedish Millenium trilogy, and "Ronald Niedermann" appears in the other two, which were originally made for tv and disappointingly mediocre. So I'm glad Dolph turned down the part, if that is indeed the character he was supposed to play. Can't imagine any other, really ...

Spot on!

SM: "Is it true that Dolph Lundgren was approached?"

DA: "Yes, it’s true. We tried to reach him but he wasn’t really interested. I am quite happy now because we found a guy (Micke Spreitz) who I think was better for the story. A complete unknown.

http://movies.sky.com/qa-daniel-alfredson
Jox
Site Admin

Postby MFS on 27 Aug 2010, 17:54

Jox wrote:Spot on!

SM: "Is it true that Dolph Lundgren was approached?"

DA: "Yes, it’s true. We tried to reach him but he wasn’t really interested. I am quite happy now because we found a guy (Micke Spreitz) who I think was better for the story. A complete unknown.

http://movies.sky.com/qa-daniel-alfredson

Yeah, just as I thought. Glad Dolph didn't waste his time with that part.
MFS

Postby bomaz on 03 Mar 2016, 19:11

Quite the same here after watching the movie. Of course, the character suits Dolph perfectly on a physical scale (a tall blonde guy with spinning kick and brute force), but in the end the character is dull and dumb, and has no consistency.
I'd better have Dolph take the part in the american sequel if the character is a little bit filled up, and if David Fincher is directing. Smart move from him not to take the part.
For a swedish start, I think he should headline the movie, even if it means starring in a smaller movie.
bomaz

Postby dude hallenbeck on 08 Mar 2016, 10:02

The Dragon Tattoo sequels are not particularly good honestly. The financial success would've been there sure, but there was no particularly compelling story.

If David Fincher where making the U.S. sequels still, I think he would've done a superb job with making Niedermann genuinely terrifying.
dude hallenbeck

Return to News / Rumors