EXPEND4BLES (Scott Waugh, 2023)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE EXPENDABLES 4 (2016-2021) (announced)

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 10 Aug 2021, 00:26

I really hope Sly stays away from the screen play on this one... his dialogue on these movies has only gotten worse since the first one.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby Jox on 10 Aug 2021, 00:47

August 4 script cover page from stunt coordinator Buster Reeves
https://www.instagram.com/p/CSXRy7tgVpq/
buster_reeves
I can’t believe I get to work with one of my idols growing up as a kid. Even know as an adult I train to a certain song to get me going.

Initial writer Gregory Poirier is gone, enter Max Adams (? not sure, can't read the name well).
Jox
Site Admin

Re: THE EXPENDABLES 4 (2016-2021) (pre-production)

Postby Moltisanti on 10 Aug 2021, 03:23

Uh oh, some guy who has written a bunch of EFO films.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby JuV on 10 Aug 2021, 10:19

I'm very certain this is not the Expendables 4 script! (and if it is Stallone will undoubtedly do some re-writes) I belive it's the script for the Jason Statham spin-off movie 'The Expendables: A Christmas Story'. It (at least) lines up with this article:
https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2020/01/29/the-expendables-spin-off/
JuV

Postby shooby on 10 Aug 2021, 11:59

Jox wrote:THE EXPENDABLES 4 is now listed in Production Weekly
https://www.productionweekly.com/produc ... -37-pages/

According to Randy Couture, it's back with only the "main guys", Sly, Snipes, Banderas, Lundgren, Statham and Couture, and starting shooting in October...

Watch/listen from 01:08:

That's really a shame for Terry Crews !
shooby

Postby Jox on 16 Aug 2021, 08:31

The Expendables 4: How To Get It Right by Tom Jolliffe
https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2021/08/ ... -it-right/

Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 17 Aug 2021, 21:38

Another confirmation for Sly that the movie will shoot in october, and Christmas Story is the Working title. Given that Statham is quite bankable these days, it makes sense. Now begins the wonder of who will join the gang and who will direct this. (if the working Title sticks to the movie, they have to get Peter Billingsley).
bomaz

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 18 Aug 2021, 06:07

I haven't followed Statham much since the Transporter series but I know he's popular and probably one of the last big Action stars out there who isn't nearing 70.

Not that I had high hopes for a 4th expendables but they are going to center it around the Christmas character? Why? Just do an ensemble with the original guys taking on the cartels in central america and you have a movie... look how well the sicario movies have done with Benicio.

I still argue they should have gone a route similar to the old (but good) film the Dirty Dozen. Give the guys a decent back story and something to build off of instead of going the tongue in cheek route Sly decided on.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby shooby on 18 Aug 2021, 10:35

GeneralMcFaiL wrote:I haven't followed Statham much since the Transporter series but I know he's popular and probably one of the last big Action stars out there who isn't nearing 70.

And Dwayny Johnson ? For my part, we can also talk about Scott Adkins and Silvio Simac too ... if they were used well
shooby

Postby bomaz on 18 Aug 2021, 12:01

My guess is that Dwayne Johnson might be a tiny bit too expensive. The "logical" idea would be to use international actor to make money outside the US : maybe an indian actor, a chinese action star (Donnie Yen might also be too expensive, but maybe Tony Jaa would be fine [not that he's chinese, but he's a bit bankable in China]).
I have a hard time being excited here, I 'll wait a bit.
bomaz

Postby Jox on 18 Aug 2021, 17:16

Not being a fan of Statham at all, there's hardly anything to get me excited here, and I'm worried that as a spin-off and Sly being obviously less involved, it leaves less chance for Gunnar to be written well again this time...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 18 Aug 2021, 19:53

Dwayne has signed on to so many goofy projects over the last several years it's kinda hard to take him serious as real action star anymore (I'm not a fan of the fast n furious movies... at all lol).

I'm worried for Gunnar's role in this as well. Truth be told because of Creed 2 and Aquaman Dolph is probably the third most recognizable star in this thing behind Sly and Statham... so if he ends up getting a smaller role I probably won't even bother watching whatever this ends up being.

I was kinda surprised they decided to go this route when the whole genisis of this project was an ensemble of action stars of years past. Putting Statham front and center just seems like they have given up on the original theme.

That being said they did kinda push the original guys into the background in the 3rd film which was a big miss imo. Having Mel as the villain battling the original crew was the movie that should have been made... not introducing all those nobodies to try and appeal to a younger crowd.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby JuV on 18 Aug 2021, 20:33

I feel like they never fully delivered the throwback 80's action movie that was advertised but i don't want to go on a rant about that lol. I understand why they're doing this tho, it's fresh in comparison to the other films, focusing on one big well-known and loved actor is probably a safer bet money wise and considering who's writing/directing this it's most likely lower budget than the previous films (which is understandable) But if we do want to see a true fourth film we should support this because I doubt we'll ever get another one if this flops.
JuV

Postby savagesketch on 19 Aug 2021, 07:24

Is this an ideal EXPENDABLES sequel? Probably not. Then again, I would much rather see something like this, especially with Statham than some of the other stuff he's been doing of late. Like many actors, he's latching onto franchises and IP's to sustain a career. Can't say I blame him. But I'm just not a fan of the F&F films, and THE MEG was just lame. If this is what it takes for him doing something along the lines of another TRANSPORTER, SAFE, or MECHANIC, then go for it. Plus, outside of Sly, Jason Statham is the most bankable of all the other stars, so it only makes sense that if they're going to do a spinoff, then they're going to go with him. In what capacity will the other guys be involved? Who knows. To be honest though, I almost hope that Statham is put on a revenge mission after Sly, Dolph, and all the other guys are killed in a botched mission, thus setting Statham off on a quest for revenge. Again, not ideal, but that would also give the movie some real stakes, which the series has been strongly lacking.
savagesketch

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 19 Aug 2021, 20:22

Well the only thing I'm holding out hope for is what Dolph has said a few times in the past... that he wouldn't do another Expendables unless his role was big enough.

So hopefully that's a sign he's got a decent amount of scenes in this.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies