EXPEND4BLES (Scott Waugh, 2023)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE EXPENDABLES 4 (2016-2017) (announced)

Postby Jox on 13 Oct 2015, 10:05

Dida wrote:Any confirmation that Dolph will be in it?

No, it's too soon (don't think he's been given anything to read or been approached officially yet). Right after EX3, he didn't want to do another one, but that doesn't mean he won't do it...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Dida on 13 Oct 2015, 11:31

I was asking because Terry Crews and Randy Couture already know that they will be in it (according to this post from Crews):

http://www.whosay.com/status/terrycrews ... de=afyb73q
If he dies....he dies....
Dida

Postby Jox on 13 Oct 2015, 15:16

I wouldn't take these kinds of personal posts too seriously, Crews is always over-hyping stuff and no question he wants back since he was the one to beg Sly during the EX3 production not to kill Caesar...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 14 Oct 2015, 06:09

Considering the EX franchise essentially brought Dolph back into mainstream theaters (and back in the public consciousness), he'd be crazy to turn this down. Then again, seeing as how his role was sidelined in EX3, I can see how he'd wanna opt out for this one.

I imagine this one will have a significant Chinese influence since they're financing much of this one. Perhaps Chow Yun Fat or Donnie Yen may have roles?

Either way, things are going to have to change for this outing. Don't think I'm alone on this, but they're gonna have to change things up a bit to make the series seem fresh again. 1) eliminate the younger characters and even the main crew. Simplify the team to 4, 5 guys tops. If this means killing a couple members off, go for it. 2) provide a real threat and some real stakes for the team. Give them an actual challenge. 3) get rid of the jokey nature and bring it back to its gritty roots. 4) I could care less about the PG13 rating, but if they are gonna go this route, push it as far as they can.
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 14 Oct 2015, 10:05

savagesketch wrote:Considering the EX franchise essentially brought Dolph back into mainstream theaters (and back in the public consciousness), he'd be crazy to turn this down.

He's already done 3 movies, does he owe it Sly forever and has to do all the movies just because the franchise "sort of" brought him back? He already turned down EX2 a couple times, before getting Sly to rewrite it, and he wasn't too keen on doing EX3 either...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 14 Oct 2015, 17:44

True, but then again, look at his options... If it's between a small role in a big budget theatrical release or bit roles in junk like 4GOT10, what's the greater good?
savagesketch

Postby bomaz on 14 Oct 2015, 18:50

If there's no interesting title on his schedule, I think it could be could for him to do this. It's money in the bank, publicity, and theater coverage.
If there's a "nordic light" or "without you i'm nothing" around the corner, he should focus on these kind of project.
bomaz

Postby Jox on 14 Oct 2015, 20:43

savagesketch wrote:True, but then again, look at his options... If it's between a small role in a big budget theatrical release or bit roles in junk like 4GOT10, what's the greater good?

I know, for sure. But I'm just saying based on previous discussions I had with him, that he doesn't always think in the same terms that we and most people do.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 15 Oct 2015, 03:19

If a role isn't stimulating, then it feels like a chore, doesn't matter if it's a $200 million major studio release or a $2 million 15 day DTV.
dude hallenbeck

Postby stockwell7 on 23 Oct 2015, 20:11

Jox wrote:
savagesketch wrote:Considering the EX franchise essentially brought Dolph back into mainstream theaters (and back in the public consciousness), he'd be crazy to turn this down.

He's already done 3 movies, does he owe it Sly forever and has to do all the movies just because the franchise "sort of" brought him back? He already turned down EX2 a couple times, before getting Sly to rewrite it, and he wasn't too keen on doing EX3 either...

I love Dolph and have watched most of his movies dating back to Rocky IV and Masters in the theater. But seriously WTH is he thinking?? Really!!! He has to think about doing an Expendable sequel, but he will sign on to the garbage that he has recently been doing!! I just don't get it! If its all just about a paycheck, then what's wrong with an EX paycheck?
Since the first EX, apart from OITC and Skin Trade... it has been one disappointment after another.
I can't believe that with the experience and the presence he has, he can't get more interesting roles in bigger films... Plus the fact that Sly wanted him back in X2 and 3, couldn't he have asked Sly to even have one fight scene? Sorry, to vent but as a fan it has been very disappointing, discouraging and confusing.
stockwell7

Postby Jox on 23 Oct 2015, 20:39

stockwell7 wrote:Plus the fact that Sly wanted him back in X2 and 3, couldn't he have asked Sly to even have one fight scene?

Remember there's lot of stuff that was deleted, notably his big EX2 fight scene where he's singing a Swedish hymn while taking on goons. (I think Sly must have been been influenced by his singing at Melodifestivalen the previous year)

As for the rest, he can be contradictory like all of us. And I think he's also badly surrounded by typical Hollywood agents and managers whose tastes and motives are to be questioned (and he's aware of it but most of them are, and they won't help him get more "quality" stuff as they can't make the difference content-wise apart from production value. The roles in bigger movies either come to you (and he's so typecast most bigtime directors or producers don't think of him or don't want him, it's like the DTV director syndrome that Florentine or Hyams have encountered) or you have to lobby for them like a madman which is not in Dolph's personality. He should hook up more with some indie producers from New York who usually are a bit more intellectually driven.

That said, chances are he will be in EX4 in the end...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby stockwell7 on 23 Oct 2015, 20:53

Jox wrote:
stockwell7 wrote:Plus the fact that Sly wanted him back in X2 and 3, couldn't he have asked Sly to even have one fight scene?

Remember there's lot of stuff that was deleted, notably his big EX2 fight scene where he's singing a Swedish hymn while taking on goons. (I think Sly ust have been been influenced by his singing at Melodifestivalen the previous year)

I heard about that... Dolph must have been very disappointed. Jox, is this scene available anywhere? I have the Blu Ray, its not included.
stockwell7

Postby Jox on 23 Oct 2015, 20:58

stockwell7 wrote:Jox, is this scene available anywhere? I have the Blu Ray, its not included.

I wish! Unfortunately nothing leaked from it. I was visiting the set shortly after and we arrived in the caves he got out of the car singing his song with a big loud voice while cracking up, that sounded hilarious so I can only imagine the scene. But I suspect they cut it for pace and may have found it too odd...
Jox
Site Admin

Re: THE EXPENDABLES 4 (announced)

Postby Jox on 02 Dec 2015, 23:50

Jox wrote:And they're relaunching the project of a TV series. Stallone is not ready to let it go (he has more shares in it as a producer than he's credited for), even if it's not for artistic reasons...
‘The Expendables’ Event Series In Works At Fox With Sylvester Stallone Producing
http://deadline.com/2015/03/expendables ... 201386545/

This is still in the pipeline apparently, along with a series called RAMBO: NEW BLOOD (about John J's relationship with his son!)
http://deadline.com/2015/12/rambo-new-b ... 201635077/
http://www.latinpost.com/articles/99260 ... -event.htm
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 17 Dec 2015, 23:05

Things have been awfully quiet with this one, especially since it's supposed to start shooting in the next few months. Rumors say that Pierce Brosnan, Dwayne Johnson, and Hulk Hogan have been added to the mix; the latter two as this entry's villains. I'll believe it when I see it, especially regarding Hogan.

Whole thing is odd though considering nothing has been stated on this project from Sly himself...
savagesketch

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies