EXPEND4BLES (Scott Waugh, 2023)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE EXPENDABLES 4 (2016-2019) (announced)

Postby Jox on 20 Sep 2019, 21:23

Sly briefly mentioned THE EXPENDABLES 4 during his Jimmy Fallon interview with Dolph most likely to be part of it. Hoping they'll give Gunnar the edge to shine again...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 21 Sep 2019, 01:33

To be honest mate, as average as The Expendables 3 was, I'd take it over most of the action guff at the moment. Seeing all of these guys on the big screen even in a subpar Expendables instalment is worth it, because lets face it, how many more years of this do we have?
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby TEMIRLAN on 21 Sep 2019, 15:45

Agree.
TEMIRLAN

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 22 Sep 2019, 05:43

Sly is probably going to push harder on this project now with the reviews coming in for Rambo LB being underwhelming (to put it lightly). I saw the film myself recently and it was not what I was expecting going in... and not in a good way.

I really have no idea who thought this was a good idea because it didn't feel like a Rambo movie at all. In fact it felt like one of those B action movies with a slightly higher budget you come across on netflix and just look at who the star is in the lead role to decide if you will give it a chance.

But I digress at least Sly is a good friend to Dolph and gave a nice shout out on Fallon. Seems like Dolph's trajectory is still pointing upwards these days which is a good thing!
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Re: THE EXPENDABLES 4 (2016-2020) (announced)

Postby Jox on 18 Dec 2019, 20:21

Sounds like this could be filmed next summer, they're still working on the script (as well as on writing CREED III, so Dolph could have a tryptic of sequels in 2021-2022 if Dolph comes back in those two plus AQUAMAN 2)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 19 Dec 2019, 02:14

That'd be some crazy shit. I'll take that over Serafini movies any day.
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 19 Dec 2019, 20:48

That's no question.

Some of the recent low budgets "almost" make the worst of the worst like AGENT RED look somewhat acceptable which is saying something...!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 19 Dec 2019, 20:59

It's true. At least I knew what was going on in AGENT RED.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Jox on 29 Jan 2020, 22:43

THE EXPENDABLES: A CHRISTMAS STORY SPIN-OFF TARGETED FOR PRODUCTION: EXCLUSIVE
https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2020/01/ ... -spin-off/
The Expendables spin-off is currently in the works and looks to bring back Jason Statham in the leading role.

Our sources have pulled back the curtain on the developing project over at Millenium Films/Nu Image and honestly we were more than surprised at the project. Apparently, the fourth installment in The Expendables series has been in active development behind the scenes for some time now.

Sylvester Stallone has never been afraid of a sequel, look no further than the Rocky and Rambo franchises. However, this time it seems that he will move to the background, as action star Jason Statham will move to centerstage, for the planned spin-off.

THE EXPENDABLES SPIN-OFF DIRECTOR MUSICAL CHAIRS
We have uncovered that an offer went out to director Duncan Jones near the end of 2019, however the negotiations never materialized. Where the studio went next is equally intriguing. Apparently an offer has been made to D.J. Caruso (XXX: Return of Xander Cage) to direct the Jason Statham-led spin-off tentatively titled, The Expendables: A Christmas Story, which has been written by Max Adams.

The decision to extend an offer to Caruso has a cosmic quality to it, as he was rumored to be in contention to direct the original Expendables film at one point. Furthermore, Jason Statham and Sylvester Stallone are already set to return for the spin-off. The catch being that Statham is now the lead and Sly will be supporting character. In addition, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Tony Jaa, are attached to the project and are simply waiting to see how the pieces come together.

We were also informed that Stallone’s role will be an emotional one for fans and despite not having many scenes compared to previous installments, his presence will be felt throughout the film.

THE EXPENDABLES NEW LOOK
The spin-off is leaving room open for supporting roles for many of the other well-known Expendables including Toll Booth, Gunner, and Doc. We assume that they are trying to bring back Randy Couture, Dolph Lundgren, and Wesley Snipes, to their corresponding roles. However, we couldn’t get a reliable confirmation on their return. It’s possible that their roles could also be placeholders pending their involvement. It’s still unclear if they would consider recasting the roles if they don’t return.

The project has been in a holding pattern for the past few weeks, as details continue to get worked out, but they are looking to shoot in the first half of 2020. There’s also a South East Asian vibe, as there are many characters who are from that region, which leads to speculation that some of the movie will take place overseas.

CASTING THE REAL EXPENDABLES
We also got our eyes on other characters in the script, The other large supporting role is for Gina, Christmas’ love interest and a tough-as-nails member of the Expendables, who’s lethal in her own right. Marsh is the dapper leader of the reformed squad. Suharato Rahmat is weapons smuggler who has a military past. Bok is one of Rahmat’s deadly henchmen. While they are still casting for Janice Russo, the head of the military compound that houses the CIA.

It makes sense why Millenium/Nu Image would want to produce this spin-off. You have to look no further than last year’s spin-off of the Fast and Furious franchise, Hobbs and Shaw, which grossed more over $750 million dollars at the worldwide box-office. The budget for The Expendables: A Christmas Story is set in the $70 million dollar range, so there is legitimate money-making potential in the Statham business. Add to it the success of Bad Boys for Life and it seems that there may be wisdom in this unlikely project.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 31 Jan 2020, 12:19

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That sounds amazing.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Nathan on 31 Jan 2020, 14:50

I had kind of hoped Stallone would lead one more to fix the PG-13 young no-marks error that was EX3, but I guess a lot of time has passed and they probably need to capitalise on Statham's success and inject some life into the franchise.

Tony Jaa being confirmed is good. XXX3 director, not so much. That was one of the worst action movies I've seen in the last 10 years. Why not ask the Bad Boys 3 directors? That was a stunning sequel.

I reckon they'll partly use the plot for High Value Target that was set to star Stath and Jaa, that never seems to have materialised.

Be good if Dolph's role was bulked up a bit.
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 31 Jan 2020, 15:21

Knowing Sly and co, it will have changed tremendously again by the time they start filming.

I mean the scripts and/or the writers for EX2, EX3, and even CREED II had not much left in common with what they were working with 6 months earlier...

If they stick to what's been reported here, I'd be more than happy if Dolph did not return.

I fear a weak FAST & FURIOUS wannabe with Statham taking all the space and just being Statham (Lee Christmas being probably one of the weakest of the bunch in terms of being an interesting, compelling character in my very personal opinion).

Dolph has better things to do. EX4 would just be another distraction taking time and energy away from other work (which was part of him not taking on more personal projects because he couldn't take 6 months or 1 year off). Give him a break and some time to direct one or two films, shoot the TV pilot, and then next year he can have AQUAMAN 2 and possibly CREED III as "big movies" to be part of (as of mid-December the return of the Drago's was still a serious "consideration" I was told)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 31 Jan 2020, 16:00

Yeah Stath ain't that interesting in The Expendables movies aside from his banter with Sly. And he kinda disappears from EX2 and EX3 a lot of the time.

I wouldn't be too fussed about Dolph not returning for this but probably one of the best things they could do is have Gunnar go nuts again and finish off as a bad guy. They probably won't do that though as the character arcs or development are largely non-existent. Put it this way though, Dolph on screen would be more welcome than Crews or Couture if you had to pick.
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 05 Feb 2020, 02:56

Didn't see that coming: THE EXPENDABLES GO TO HELL graphic novel from a story by Stallone and Chuck Dixon now being crowdfunded for a May release...
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the- ... phic-novel

Presentation:

One of the variant covers in the works:

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 06 Feb 2020, 21:44

I'd rather see this film than A Christmas Story. Flip shit up a bit. A genre melding, mind melting Mandy of an Expendables.
Tom
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies