THE PUNISHER II (1990-1991) (unproduced)

Got some new info on the man? Curious to find out what's new? Check in here!

Moderator: Moderators

THE PUNISHER II (1990-1991) (unproduced)

Postby udar55 on 06 May 2011, 19:34

Thought folks might want to see this too. These are from Variety circa 1990 and feature New World promoting THE PUNISHER II. The article mentions they were negotiating with Dolph to come back with a May 1991 start date (this was before they went belly up). Also interesting is they were planning on doing an animated X-MEN feature at the time.

udar55

Re: THE PUNISHER - Mark Goldblatt (1989)

Postby Jox on 07 May 2011, 09:51

Oh cool thanks!

Here's a bigger version of the teaser (that was reprinted in French mag "L'Ecran Fantastique" in late 1990/early 1991)
http://www.dolph-ultimate.com/dolph-in/punisher2.html

Jox
Site Admin

Re: THE PUNISHER II (1990-1991) (unproduced)

Postby Jox on 21 Oct 2015, 20:43

During the production, Dolph and producer/writer Robert Kamen both declared in interviews to be very interested in doing a sequel.

"If The Punisher had a sequel, would you do it?
-Oh yes, I would, it's a very square guy in the comics, but in the film he's unpredictable, that's what I like, he talks to someone and suddenly he becomes crazy, he explodes."
- Ciné-News, #19, January 1989 (translated from French)
"But that doesn't mean I wouldn't do a second Punisher film," "I like Mr. P. He's a cool cat."
- Comics Scene, #9, Summer 1989

Since then Kamen realized he doesn't like producing and came back to writing, and Dolph who hadn't not seen the final cut back then, came back on his point of view being disappointed by the end result:

"Dolph Lundgren will have to decide in between for a potential Punisher II. New World is waiting for his signature, when the first, big success all around the world, still isn't released in the United States."
- Impact, # 27, June 1990 (translated from French)

"Masters of the Universe, Red Scorpion 2, The Punisher 2 and even the sequel to Cover Up... The list of sequel projects on Dolph's agent desk is long."..."He mentions The Punisher with some kind of sourness/bitterness, avoids Dark Angel, avoids Masters of The Universe all the way..."
- from Impact, # 30, December 1990 (translated from French)

"It's hard for me to criticize a product, because I don't like to mention names. It just deserved a better fate. Actually, when I watch The Punisher now, I think I was pretty good in that role, and I looked really good. I think it was all there; it was just the production values and everything that didn't add up to what it should have been," ...

"They didn't put enough time into everything --the story, the development, the picture's look. There was many things that could have been done better,"..."if I did it over again, I would make sure it was a better picture before I signed onto it. Back in '88, I wasn't as experienced and I couldn't really judge some of the things that I can judge now, and I think that's the difference."
- Starlog, n°181, August 1992

" "The Punisher." -"Um", thinks Dolph, "what can I say about The Punisher? Um." "Nothing?" -"I don't know what to say. I had a special Harley built for me?" "
- Movieline, volume VI n°10, July 1995

It's strange though that New World, which had been sold to a company that wasn't interested in theatrical, came back a year later with a new division and announced THE PUNISHER II (which Dolph sure wasn't gonna do at that point, even though the Variety article claims they were "in talks" (meaning they probably only made an offer). And almost none of their new line-up projects (like SHE-HULK !) came to life aside from those that were already produced and acquired. Maybe it was just to attract attention or test the potential market. I found out in interviews that it happens companies announce project they really have the intention to actually make from the get go, even when they already spend some money on it...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 21 Oct 2015, 21:36

Jox wrote:
"Masters of the Universe, Red Scorpion 2, The Punisher 2 and even the sequel to Cover Up... The list of sequel projects on Dolph's agent desk is long."..."He mentions The Punisher with some kind of sourness/bitterness, avoids Dark Angel, avoids Masters of The Universe all the way..."
- from Impact, # 30, December 1990 (translated from French)

Feel like this is somewhat new information... I always knew he avoided MOTU discussion as he felt it was an embarrassing misstep. PUNISHER I can understand having bitterness about... But DARK ANGEL? Why? I always thought that was one he was proud of... Especially in 1990 when the film was relatively new.
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 21 Oct 2015, 22:24

I have another interview from 1994 that says the same thing. Unlike Van Damme who adored his own films, Dolph used to never be satisfied on the movies he did back then (until UNIVERSAL SOLDIER). I know back then he did the movie but wasn't thinking much of it thinking it was kind of silly (also, the "fun and cheesy" factor in movies wasn't regarded as well as today I think).

And because they were flops and ripped apart by the reviews, not only he thought it was because they were bad films (he still told me that about 7 years ago), but he didn't yet realize how much they were either loved or would grow to become cult classics some 25 years later (and most fans didn't see them when they first came out but sometimes years later on video or when they aired on TV).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 06 Apr 2017, 23:59

A LADY PUNISHER movie was apparently suggested/announced around 1994 or earlier, Sofia Crawford and Sybil Danning were mentioned for the part, don't know if the studio New World (which still existed until 1997 by the way) was involved...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 21 Jun 2021, 13:42

Thanks to a French journalist / collector, I got confirmation from the back of the PUNISHER II market flyer that there was not even a plot or storyline for the announced sequel...

Only a short logline of the 1989 film and this one tagline:
"Now, comes the sequel to the New World International's smash hit: [b&w PUNISHER II logo]"
Jox
Site Admin

The Punisher II (1990-1991) (Unproduced) - Teaser Poster

Postby Dolph_Fan on 08 Sep 2021, 20:14

Jox wrote:Oh cool thanks!

Here's a bigger version of the teaser (that was reprinted in French mag "L'Ecran Fantastique" in late 1990/early 1991)
http://www.dolph-ultimate.com/dolph-in/punisher2.html

Higher Quality version (restored):

The Punisher II - Poster - Teaser.jpg
The Punisher II - Poster - Teaser
The Punisher II - Poster - Teaser.jpg (222.83 KiB) Viewed 9382 times
Dolph_Fan
Regular

Return to News / Rumors