DRAGO (2018-2023) (in development)

Got some new info on the man? Curious to find out what's new? Check in here!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: DRAGO spin-off (2018-2022) (rumored)

Postby Jox on 07 Nov 2022, 20:07

Stallone to Hollywood Reporter (contradicting what D said in the previous Swedish itv that Sly knew about it all along):
There was also a Drago spin-off referenced in your post, and you called out [Drago actor] Dolph Lundgren for not telling you about it. Have you two patched things up since then?
Yeah, we did. I’m actually calling him today because he underwent some ankle situation. The Dolph thing, again. This is a classic case of them going around and trying to continually cherry pick aspects of Rocky without even asking me if I want to join in. I’m not an executive producer on the Creed movies. [Director] Ryan Coogler is. [Star] Michael B. Jordan is. [Winkler and Chartoff’s] children are. Not mine. I’m the only one left out.

Is it going to be weird for you to see Creed III without being in the film?
That’s a regretful situation because I know what it could have been. It was taken in a direction that is quite different than I would’ve taken it. It’s a different philosophy – Irwin Winkler’s and Michael B. Jordan’s. I wish them well, but I’m much more of a sentimentalist. I like my heroes getting beat up, but I just don’t want them going into that dark space. I just feel people have enough darkness.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 235254384/

(This is a quite in-depth interview (and not very PR-like) so don't hesitate to read the entire thing)
Jox
Site Admin

Re: DRAGO spin-off (2018-2022) (rumored)

Postby bomaz on 08 Nov 2022, 08:48

Indeed it's a great interview.
bomaz

Re: DRAGO spin-off (2018-2023) (rumored)

Postby TEMIRLAN on 11 Mar 2023, 06:42

If it happenes they should call the former UFC camp now goaling to the boxing ring Francis Ngannou as the main final boxer against Viktor.
TEMIRLAN

Postby Jox on 22 Apr 2023, 00:40

The actor still hopes to make a spinoff of his Rocky character, but has rejected one unsatisfactory script for Drago.

"There was a script that nobody really liked," Lundgren said. "I didn't like it."

Creed II showed Ivan Drago (Lundgren) and his son, Viktor (Florian Munteanu), returning to the Ukraine after an unsuccessful attempt to rehabilitate their boxing careers. Viktor appeared in Creed III, helping Adonis (Michael B. Jordan) train.

Lundgren said he is interested in a story that explores the Dragos fleeing the Ukraine because of the current war with Russia. He said the producers are trying to hire a new writer, and Lundgren hopes he might be able to film Drago next year.

"That's where the movie should open," Lundgren said. "These characters are now coming to America for obvious reasons, trying to escape a war."

Lundgren also got to see a different side of Ivan Drago when Sylvester Stallone released a director's cut of Rocky IV, the character's debut, in 2021.

Rocky IV: Rocky vs. Drago used alternate takes from the 1985 sequel and made Drago more of a human political pawn of Russia than a cold boxing machine.

Lundgren said he enjoyed both cuts of Rocky IV, the film that led to him headlining movies like Red Scorpion, I Come in Peace, Masters of the Universe and Showdown in Little Tokyo.

"It was more of an indie version of the original movie," Lundgren said of the Rocky IV director's cut. "[Stallone] just did something a little more personal, a little more along the lines of the first Rocky, where the characters are slightly more dimensional."

https://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/ ... 682107161/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 22 Apr 2023, 21:07

Kind of the same:
Yeah, MGM has a project on the books. There's been a script that nobody really liked. Now, they're, as far as I know, looking for new writer, and to try to tap back into that world.

There was a movie I did called Creed II, where it kind of opens, actually, in Ukraine. So, it's interesting. Now, it's more interesting than it was 2018. The idea was to sort of go back and start back in Ukraine again, in Kyiv, but now, of course, there is war going on. There's a reason for a father and son to come to America. So it's a little bit of an immigration slash fighter story. I thought it was a great idea, but you've got to find the right person to write it, and that's what's going on right now.

https://screenrant.com/rocky-creed-spin ... n-details/
Video:
https://twitter.com/screenrant/status/1 ... 5287202816
Jox
Site Admin

Re: DRAGO (2018-2023) (in development)

Postby Jox on 26 Apr 2023, 22:23

Dolph Lundgren confirms a 'Drago' spin-off still in the works after Sylvester Stallone criticism
an update on the "Drago" spin-off and how his "Rocky" co-star Sylvester Stallone might be involved.
https://www.foxnews.com/video/6326256128112
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 12 Jan 2024, 15:59

Dolph Lundgren: 'Drago' spinoff on hold for 'Creed IV'
https://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/ ... 705015790/
LOS ANGELES, Jan. 12 (UPI) -- Dolph Lundgren said plans for a spinoff of his Rocky and Creed character are in flux as the studio focuses on Creed IV.

Lundgren told UPI last year he was waiting for a script for Drago. Now, he says, Amazon MGM Studios is focusing on their Creed franchise. Creed III opened in March.

"What happened was Creed III did very well," Lundgren told UPI in a Zoom interview Thursday for his new movie, Wanted Man. "So Creed IV became a priority."
"Part of what they were trying to figure out was where do you put Drago?" Lundgren said. "Where do you put that movie in the franchise? Between III and IV or after IV?"

Munteanu returned in Creed III, as Adonis managed Viktor's fights. Then Viktor helped Adonis train for his return to the ring. Lundgren is hopeful a Drago film will still happen.

"Obviously, it would be a great role for Florian and for me, too," Lundgren said. "It could go either way. It could just never get made or get made in a couple years or sooner than that maybe."
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 16 Jan 2024, 12:38

Dolph Lundgren drops update on the Ivan Drago spinoff movie
https://www.joblo.com/ivan-drago-spinof ... -lundgren/
Our own Tyler Nichols recently spoke with Dolph Lundgren about his upcoming movie, Wanted Man, and couldn’t resist asking if there was any movement on the Drago spinoff movie.

“You know it was really tracking well for a while and there was a script,” Lundgren said. “And then there were comments on the script and then it kind of had to deal with Ukraine and and things like that. But right now, because of the Creed Universe with Michael B. Jordan, you know, they were working on Creed 4, and now they kind of put a stop to that because of his co-star, I guess, being somebody that got convicted. So I don’t know what’s going to happen. I haven’t heard anything, but I hope it happens in the future.“
When asked where he’d like to see Drago’s story go in the spinoff, Lundgren said, “I think that ‘coming to America’ story is interesting where we decide because of the war over there, we decide to come this way. I think the father/son relationship is interesting. We’d rather explore that. And you know, Dragos an older man, you know, [who’s] bitter about his past and, you know, trying to help use his son to prove himself. I thought that was an interesting thing that was brought up in [Creed 2]. In the last picture, which maybe we can go further.“
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 16 Jan 2024, 21:28

MGM was developing the script called Drago about my character and my son. I think what happened was the studio changed leadership, and then Creed III did very well, so they started preparing for Creed IV. This is last year, and then now there is a problem with a co-star in Creed IV. That storyline they had on the Drago script was interesting, it was kind of a coming to America, kind of immigration angle, with me and the son, and it was pretty cool.

It just so happened that, in Creed II, we're in the Ukraine, in the beginning, we're in Kyiv. That's where the movie opens, even though it's not really mentioned too much. But in the version of the script that I read, it starts with a Russian invasion, and in that, we go through some hard, difficult experiences that makes us want to come to America. It was kind of interesting.

https://screenrant.com/rocky-drago-spin ... en-update/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Krom on 29 Feb 2024, 08:59

Well hopefully Creed 4 wont happen after that co-star arrest! Drago really sounds very interesting !!!
TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular

Postby Jox on 29 Feb 2024, 11:14

I doubt they'll stop CREED IV because of that, since III is the most successful at the BO with $275 million worldwide, so a new sequel is most likely the priority for the studio and they'll either re-cast or re-write the project in order to make it.
Jox
Site Admin

Previous

Return to News / Rumors