New DL OFFICIAL WEBSITE online

Have some suggestions on how to improve the site? Any feedback on the site? Post it in here!

Moderator: Moderators

New DL OFFICIAL WEBSITE online

Postby Jox on 16 Aug 2010, 11:11

DolphLundgren.com is back finally.

I have little to do with this version despite the intro idea, all the movie stills, and some of the information. An new official site had been in the work for a good year and half, if not two years really. I had a worked on a few versions but things didn't work out with them.

As Dolph says on the homepage: "please let us know your thoughts and suggestions on the CONNECT PAGE."

So please do so!
Jox
Site Admin

Re: New DL OFFICIAL WEBSITE online

Postby ashleyheart on 16 Aug 2010, 21:14

SWEET! :mrgreen:
ashleyheart

Postby Soomka on 16 Aug 2010, 23:07

Looks great!
Some interesting pics in the gallery that I hadn't seen before too.
Soomka

Postby Travis on 18 Aug 2010, 13:33

I hate the photos of him smoking.
Travis
Regular

Postby Jox on 18 Aug 2010, 13:41

I don't hate it but I don't see it fit here. I don't know why he was so keen on having this on his homepage. Last year when we were working on the site he brought it up and thought it was a cool shot, more rock 'n roll, to brake the nice guy image a little bit. It's weird since he doesn't smoke in real life and moreover since it's contradicting his fitness book and organic supplements he's gonna promote soon.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Travis on 18 Aug 2010, 13:49

It is a contradiction and he has better shots. Also, smoking offends a lot of people.
I think he should use some recent shots. I like the second one in his gallery.

I also think this website is not too well designed and I don't like the way the gallery was done. The old way looked a lot better. Not sure why there was a change.

I think this site represents him a lot better.
Travis
Regular

Postby Jox on 18 Aug 2010, 14:25

There's been a lot of back and forth and going in circles to make a new official site during then past two years, that's why it took so long and even though it's not as good it could have been but it's better than nothing for two years I guess. Now the most important is to keep it updated. This new one is based on one of the versions I had made with a graphic designer and put a lot of sweat and blood into that you can check out here. Another version had the homepage/menu filled with various props from Dolph's movies and stuff (He-man sword, SILT headband, Punisher dagger, karate belt, CP drumsticks, DVDs) but it felt a bit too fake.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Travis on 18 Aug 2010, 17:48

I like yours so much better. The one they have now looks cheap and makes him look bad. I think Dolph maybe doesn't understand how important it is to have a nice, professional website. He probably isn't into the internet much and probably doesn't understand internet culture. That is my guess.

In my opinion, his official website is ugly and a disappointment. He would be better off just letting this site take care of everything, even though it is just a fan site.

Why didn't they go with yours?
Travis
Regular

Postby Tom on 18 Aug 2010, 19:34

I'm mixed on it. Could have been worse, like the old offical site. But could, and should be a lot better as Travis says.

Given it seems to have been a long time coming, it's not as in depth as it should have been.
Tom
Regular

Postby Travis on 19 Aug 2010, 08:52

I would rather they take it off line altogether. If people want to search the net for info on Dolph, this is a much better site. The site does an awful job of representing him.
Travis
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 20 Aug 2010, 00:27

I wouldn't put it in such harsh words. The site is not bad though I noticed a few flaws (mainly the scrolling little areas everywhere and the font size... yeah, I'm old). I prefer sites that use simple technology and work nicely on many different browsers and screen resolutions.

Jox's site is the biggest Dolph encyclopedia you can find and it's the best source for people who are really interested in what Dolph did, does and will do. For an official star site it's too much maybe for it's not a showcase but the complete archive.

So I think the new official site is... well, ok. The most important thing is to stick with it and update it frequently. Why link to the Facebook page for example when that page is dead since January? Better use one thing and work with that, maybe improve it over time, than to start new things here and there and then abandon those.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 20 Aug 2010, 01:39

Mosquito wrote:So I think the new official site is... well, ok. The most important thing is to stick with it and update it frequently. Why link to the Facebook page for example when that page is dead since January?

Because it wasn't meant to be left dead, the company running it was not very serious (and using me to some extent) so they were dropped and, as you know Dolph was busy and he wasn't sure what to do with his sites. Now that the site is finally online there will soon be new decisions, strategy and updates regarding Facebook etc.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby ashleyheart on 20 Aug 2010, 08:17

I would be happy to see a better Facebook page soon. But right now I think his site is fine and especially since this site is so good I'm not worrying! This site gives me all the Dolph fix I need. :mrgreen:
ashleyheart

Postby Dawn on 20 Aug 2010, 16:06

I think a huge problem is any site now needs to have a strong Web 2.0/Social Media component as well. Links to a Facebook page are not good enough. This is a once and done website which is not what you want. You want fans to keep coming back for more, the way to do this is to engage them. He needs to figure out a way to keep it updated regularly with new information, maybe a contest here or there, and definitely some kind of 2-way interaction with fans. I don't care if its just someone working for him, there needs to be something there. Don't get me started on navigation. I'm scared to even try and access it from my phone. Has he thought also of a mobile site? This year is the year of mobile. Time to get on it now.
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 20 Aug 2010, 16:28

I know that's what I had planned and kept saying but there's been so much going back and forth none of what I had in mind and other things we started (two podcasts that are outdated to post now but I'll see if I can have you listen to them sometimes) has had the chance to be put to practice because the site couldn't be even be done. He doesn't have good grasp of the old school sites and web 2.0, this is obviously not a state of the art 2010 site so don't talk about a mobile version, let this be managed properly first rather than try to be fancy with no good strategy behind. Look I've done everything I could, I'm not too fond of this especially given all I brought on the table behind, but it is what it is now, and the other things are being discussed now and will be worked out soon.
Jox
Site Admin

Next

Return to Web Site Discussion