Dolph at conventions?

Feel free to discuss everything not related to Dolph. Have a good time and be friendly!

Moderator: Moderators

Dolph at conventions?

Postby Mosquito on 12 Sep 2008, 01:15

Just wondering: this weekend I'll go to an action movie convention where there are people like Lorenzo Lamas, Danny Trejo and Matthias Hues (the alien from Dark Angel AKA I Come In Peace).

I have never heard about Dolph appearing on such events. Does he avoid conventions or did I just not notice the news about his participation somewhere?
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 12 Sep 2008, 01:34

I don't think he purposely avoids them (we know he's no snub), just doesn't have the opportunity (not sure if he's asked a lot for those type of events) or time. We should find him one or two good ones to appear in...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby The_Canadian on 12 Sep 2008, 03:00

Jox wrote:We should find him one or two good ones to appear in...

LOL... nice going Mosquito, now Jox has yet ANOTHER idea for Dolph's next big move.

Seriously Jox, you should just be Dolph's agent already! You're clearly doing more for his career than his current one has for quite some time!
"Loosly translated... out of the frying pan and boned up the ass with a red hot poker."
-Showdown In Little Tokyo
The_Canadian
Regular

Postby Jox on 12 Sep 2008, 12:10

LOL I'd be eaten straight away by the sharks out there, trying to negotiate the contracts and salaries, which I think must be his priority (most people in the industry will tell you agents won't help you get your career go further, as they have many clients and take 10% fee)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 13 Sep 2008, 23:15

Tell you what: I went to the convention and neither Hues, nor Lamas showed up. :-( Apparently Lamas had urgent family matters and it sounded like Hues just cancelled. So we went to the local mall and had a nice shopping day instead.

Returned for the Q&A sessions with Andrew Divoff (Mikhail from Lost) and Danny Trejo. Andrew is a very, very nice guy who even speaks a bit of German and Danny has such a dry humour.. it was *so* funny!

Well. So I didn't get my Dark Angel DVD signed. :-(
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 14 Sep 2008, 12:16

How big was supposed to be the event/convention??
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 14 Sep 2008, 13:03

The list of guests was pretty interesting besides the ones I've already mentioned: a former Bond girl (Connery), the guy who played the Predator and others. So you would think that thousands show up to see those guys but no, it was just... well I would guess less than 250 people, at least when we came back at 3:30pm. The Q&A with Andrew had maybe 50 people and with Danny not much more. There were much more people sitting there just before when they had the "best look-alike contest" and were giving away T-Shirts. Can you imagine that?!? I thought it was a bad organization for the Q&A: The "moderator" introduced the star "Welcome Danny Trejo", left the stage and waited in front of it so that he could go to fans with his microphone. The star was alone on stage, between 3 empty chairs and in front of an empty table (Trejo brought his coffee with him). So both Andrew and Danny started the Q&A session with sitting down, looking at the fans, the fans looking back and something like "Ok, so now what, am I supposed to ask questions, do you have any?" followed by and awkward silence because nobody wanted to be the first in the audience. So I ended up asking Andrew the first question, about the weather at the set of Lost and if it was unconfortable (hot and humid). Not the most eagerly anticipated question I guess but at least it broke the ice and his answers and anecdotes were very interesting. Regarding Danny Trejo: My friend said that if is acting career would fade, he could always have a second career as a stand-up comedian. ;-)

The location is kinda crappy, a rather small convention hall in Bottrop that has seen its best days probably at the early seventies. But it is easy to reach for people from Germany and the Netherlands. When we complained about the missing guests and that the web site didn't say anything about it, the organizer told us that people had come from Italy because of Lorenzo Lamas. Imagine how pissed they must have been. We two had just a half hour ride.

They also annonced that there were tickets available again for the "Dinner with the stars". Probably all the guests who gave back their tickets when they heard that Lamas wasn't there. Turned out that the dinner was inside the same building in a cantina next to the Q&A panel. I don't know about the budget of the nerds in black T-shirts who crowded the place but I would prefer a higher price and a much nicer location, not a cantina with plastic chairs. Well, I had to get back to the family anyway. But I kept on thinking about the whole set-up and me and my friend discussed on our way back that actors sometimes have a very hard job, dignity-wise, if you know what I mean. At least when they are not A-list actors.

So on one hand I would like to meet some others and I think it is nice to have a smaller Q&A because it is less anonymous. On the other hand it makes me sad and upsets me that there are so few fans paying respect to the actors who fly across the big pond just to appear at such an un-glamorous event. I think you know what I'm talking about. At least I will write to the organizers and tell them that they should not let the stars sit there without company and proper moderation.

Here's the website: http://www.hollywoodevent.de/

We also went to the Weekend of Horrors last year (same location, same organizer) and we are thinking about going to the upcoming WoH. Wonder if Michael Biehn shows up this time. Last time he cancelled but I had this great photo with Jeffrey Combs I had posted back then.

*sigh*

PS: People asked Trejo about "Machete" and he said that Rodriguez was still pondering and if we would want to see that movie done we should send emails to troublemaker studios, Mr. Rodriguez, and tell him that he should do that movie. So hereby I encourage you all to send your mails to the guy! I haven't researched the adress yet but it shouldn't be too hard to find out.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 15 Sep 2008, 15:20

Interesting.

If Dolph would make appearances in such events it'd be good to make sure they're good ones. I thought even doing a signing at the Mattel (or Marvel for that matter) booth in San Diego Comic-Con could be a cool promo event. I know they have quite a lot of conventions in California, I'm not sure which ones are the best in Europe, maybe London (they don't seem to do a lot in France)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 17 Sep 2008, 21:56

Absolutely, someone trustworthy should have been there and tell if it is a good convention or not. I have no experience because these two (last year's WoH and this recent Movie & Comic) were my only ones so far. From what I've heard, the annual "Fedcon" Star Trek convention in Bonn/Germany is very famous and I guess it is a very good event. But then we would have to find a new ST franchise and a role for Dolph so an appearance would make sense. ;-)

Fellow posters, do you go to conventions and can you name a good, high-profile action or general movie convention in Europe?
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 01 Oct 2008, 10:42

Funny there's actually a regular sci-fi/comic book convention who just sent an invitation to Dolph who won't be able to attend this time but maybe the next one...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Craigie-Boy on 14 Oct 2008, 04:43

Mosquito wrote:The list of guests was pretty interesting ... the guy who played the Predator and others.

Kevin Peter Hall? He died from AIDS in the 90s, didn't he?
Craigie-Boy
Regular

Postby Geoff on 14 Oct 2008, 09:51

Kevin Peter Hall? He died from AIDS in the 90s, didn't he?

Yup he did - Could have been Van Damme! :lol:
- Lets be honest. This is just a case to you, to me its more. Much more! and if you try and take this disk I'm going to hit you very, very hard!
Geoff
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 17 Oct 2008, 00:37

No, Ian Whyte, the Predator in "Alien vs. Predator".

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1613839/
Mosquito
Site Admin

Return to Off-Topic