Cring Freeman: Big recommendation.

Feel free to discuss everything not related to Dolph. Have a good time and be friendly!

Moderator: Moderators

Cring Freeman: Big recommendation.

Postby Tom on 04 Apr 2004, 18:31

For fans of good action films in general or fans of Mark Dacascos from the US. It seems that it will finally get a release in America, theatrically as well. According to his official site Universal Focus are releasing it in August. I definitely recommend it, it's a really good film. It weas made nearly 10 years ago so it's about time it came out in the States. It will make a change from made for teen crap like Fast And Furious and Swat, or anyhting with Rappers in.
Tom
Regular

Postby Dawn on 05 Apr 2004, 04:41

Ah come on now, all rappers are not necessarily bad actors, just like smart men with a kyokushin karate background are not necessarily bad actors. ;) LL Cool J and Ice Cube are very good actors, as well as Will Smith. Will Smith in particular has proven his acting ability, besides just comedy, and in my opinion makes a better actor than rapper anyway. Most rappers don't have any talent whatsoever anyway, they are just in it to get rich quick! Ever see Boyz in the Hood? Excellent movie and Ice Cube is in it, he did very well. By the way, what rapper was in Fast and the Furious? I don't think its fair to hate the movie because a rapper is in it, that movie or any other movie. A lot of Dolph's movies have very bad actors as well and more than just 1! I do not like Fast and the Furious, but it is because the movie has a stupid plot really and them using riced out Hondas is just so playing into the Rice-boy mentality of street racing in the United States. Most Civics are slower than my car! They also did not pay good attention to detail in modifications to the cars and anyone that does these things with their cars ended up laughing at this movie. The second one I heard was better since they got their technical details straight but it still sucked.
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 06 Apr 2004, 00:05

I don't really mind rappers too much. Eminemineminem was good in 8 Mile. Ice Cube has done some good stuff too. Waht I really don't like is rappers in action movies. They stand arond and scowl through the whole movie. Cube has proved he can be quite a good actor in Boyz N the Hood and Three Kings but when he does films like Torque and Ghosts Of Mars it's a bit off putting. I think there are too many action films now trying to cater for teen trends rather than being decent. They try and emulate the Matrix too much. I really hate seeing rappers doing Wire Fu. Fast And Furious got up my nose because it ripped off Point Break and because it felt really heavily marketed for teenagers with hard-ons for fast cars. I cna't see that the film-makers ever considered that they were trying to make a good movie. I actaully wouldn't mind seeing LL Cool J become an action star. He's in great shape, has had some good roles in some movies, I'd just be worried his films would be to pre-occupied with marketing rather than being entertaining. The Rock did well with Rundown because it was just like a simplisitc 80's action film, not laying on a constant hip hop or Nu Metal soundtrack to subsitute for quality.
Tom
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 06 Apr 2004, 23:22

The only nice car in F&F was that Dodge. Coooool. ;-) But the movie sucked big time. My bf still blames me for dragging him into that movie (I still blame myself). I heard that Diesel is thinking about joining again for F&F 3. If he really does that I'll write him off my "must see actors" list. His last few movies were all turkeys for quick money.

As for Will Smith: I think quite early in his career the music was only the minor part of his work and he focused on acting. I think that I read that somewhere.

Did you know that wrestlers can be very good actors, too? ;-) I recently saw The Rundown with S.W. Scott and The Rock and despite the mediocre critics I found it hilarious and very entertaining.

I'm very surprised that Crying Freeman didn't get a release in the US so far. Not even on DVD? I think it is Dacascos's best movie, better than Le pact des loupes (I hope I spelled that correctly, my French sucks).
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Dawn on 08 Apr 2004, 21:42

Mosquito wrote:The only nice car in F&F was that Dodge. Coooool. ;-) But the movie sucked big time. My bf still blames me for dragging him into that movie (I still blame myself). I heard that Diesel is thinking about joining again for F&F 3. If he really does that I'll write him off my "must see actors" list. His last few movies were all turkeys for quick money.

As for Will Smith: I think quite early in his career the music was only the minor part of his work and he focused on acting. I think that I read that somewhere.

Did you know that wrestlers can be very good actors, too? ;-) I recently saw The Rundown with S.W. Scott and The Rock and despite the mediocre critics I found it hilarious and very entertaining.

I'm very surprised that Crying Freeman didn't get a release in the US so far. Not even on DVD? I think it is Dacascos's best movie, better than Le pact des loupes (I hope I spelled that correctly, my French sucks).

Agreed, that Dodge was sweeeeeeeeeeet! They don't make cars like that anymore :( I also agree that Vin's last few movies have been crap, he had much better films starting out. There is no excuse for it either, he can act very well and he can even produce films for crying out loud, why stoop to this level over money???! And yes, I heard he signed on for F&F3, yuck! I am looking forward to the Pitch Black prequel, its been a long time coming, so that better be good!

Yeah, I saw the rundown in the theatre! Excellent movie, I find the Rock to have a very charismatic on-screen prescence for his size. :) It does not surprise me that Wrestlers are good actors at all, since all the wrestling "fights" are faked and not real wrestling, they have to be able to act to put on a good show for people. :) Hulk Hogan has been in some pretty good movies, cheesy, but still very good family type films for the most part. :)

As for Crying Freeman, I have not seen this anywhere!! There a ton of places to shop here too, so I know its not just this town! Brotherhood of the Wolf was a big renter and seller here. I found it to be a really excellent film and its now quite hard to find since most places sold out of copies!
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 08 Apr 2004, 22:43

"Crying Freeman" is one of my favorites action movies, if it gets released in the US just go for it!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 09 Apr 2004, 12:56

I thought Brotherhood was too undecided whether it wanted to be fantasy, horror or action or whatever. The mixture was too weird, the fights (especially that one in the circle of the gipsies didn't make any sense, only as a platform to show Mark's fighting skills and of course I didn't like how the story went with him (don't want to write spoilers here).

Dawn, if you have a multi-region DVD player (which I recommend very much) you can can buy Crying Freeman for 5.99 British Pounds (free shipping) at www.play.com. I just checked, it is available right now! dvdboxoffice.com or cdwow.com don't seem to have it in stock right now.

Usually play.com is the first source I check for DVDs. They are often the cheapest, have free shipping and many titles in stock. They are located on the island of Jersey, UK.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Dawn on 09 Apr 2004, 14:55

Its not multi-region, but I can make it play any region I want by using a code on the remote. The only thing I absolutely can not do is play any video cd created with regular CD-Rs. I will look into that, but honestly I can wait til they release it here too. I probably won't be buying anything for a while since my husband wrecked his car this week. But thank-you for the tip! :)
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

Return to Off-Topic