Gay dudes in Hollywood

Feel free to discuss everything not related to Dolph. Have a good time and be friendly!

Moderator: Moderators

Gay dudes in Hollywood

Postby dolphage on 21 Jan 2010, 15:14

I'm straight as all hell, but I'm ABSOLUTELY NOT prejudiced against homosexuals. O.K, maybe I joke around sometimes, but that's just me acting stupid. In real life I am all for people being themselves and doing whatever they want to be doing.

That's that. Now...

According to all available sources a large portion of movie and TV actors are gay dudes. Closeted. I don't want to go into specific people but as a rule of thumb; "where there is smoke there is fire". There are guys who have been completely "out" and then, once they made it, decided to go back in the closet. The reason? Well, conventional wisdom is that audiences don't "buy" a gay dude playing a straight guy. Like, you will be limited to playing ONLY homosexual men once you're out, regardless of how well you used to play straight guy roles.

Isn't that weird? You can play a superhero or an alien or a robot or whatever and people buy into it, but as soon as a gay guy plays a straight guy we don't buy it.

The list of names that are the exceptions to this rule is very short and consist of old and VERY established men.

The same goes for chicks, BTW.

What are your thoughts?
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Re: Gay dudes in Hollywood

Postby Mosquito on 23 Jan 2010, 02:12

Yes, said but true. Ask Rupert Everett. He's been out for a long time and he also said in interviews that it has seriously hurt his career. I think he would have been a great James Bond, but no way would they cast him. You would think that nowadays it wouldn't matter, but especially in the biggest market, the U.S., it's still a big thing. They are not as liberal as Europeans when it comes to sex and sexual orientation. And even over here I would imagine that actors and actresses are less successful if they are out. As if it wouldn' be acting after all. Straight actors who play gay people talk a lot about it and how it was and how it felt and people are interested and "buy" the role, but it doesn't seem to work the other way around. Sad.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 23 Jan 2010, 02:19

That's why some of the most famous ladies men of yore were kept in the closet. Anyway even though we supposedly live in an open society, I still think how it's handled in Hollywood reflects the way it is in general. Thing is you can be anything today... until it makes people uncomfortable.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 23 Jan 2010, 18:03

Mosquito wrote:Ask Rupert Everett. He's been out for a long time and he also said in interviews that it has seriously hurt his career.

I read that too, and several other actors that have been able to secure one or two leading man roles after coming out and then things have started to go downhill.
Jox wrote:That's why some of the most famous ladies men of yore were kept in the closet.

There's a theory that precisely what you bring up is the problem. The opposite sex have to be able to have "romantic" (and/or "sexual") fantasies about the leading man/lady. Meaning, if women aren't able to sustain crushes on the romantic lead they're not into it (and the other way around for guys). That could be part of it.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 24 Jan 2010, 00:50

dolphage wrote:There's a theory that precisely what you bring up is the problem. The opposite sex have to be able to have "romantic" (and/or "sexual") fantasies about the leading man/lady. Meaning, if women aren't able to sustain crushes on the romantic lead they're not into it (and the other way around for guys). That could be part of it.

Yes, that sounds reasonable for romantic comedy or other movies targeted at women. But I can also imagine that gay action heroes keep quiet because the male audience wouldn't take them serious anymore or would even be appalled because there seem to be very many homophobic males out there. I often see the reaction when the conversation turns to gay people or a gay topic that heterosexual men (especially younger ones) react like "Eeek" or "Yuck!". But maybe they are just afraid that people might think they are gay, too.

Well, one thing is for sure: It works the other way around. Dolph is straight but seems to have a huge gay fan base.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 24 Jan 2010, 01:50

Mosquito wrote:I often see the reaction when the conversation turns to gay people or a gay topic that heterosexual men (especially younger ones) react like "Eeek" or "Yuck!". But maybe they are just afraid that people might think they are gay, too.

That's is definitely ONE reason.

Also, young people are not very educated and IGNORANCE is a big reason for homophobia.

Plus, if the thought of two members of your own sex "getting it on" grosses you out, that's absolutely fine. You're a heterosexual. You don't have to be turned on by gay sex (if you ARE you might not be a heterosexual). However, the important thing is to understand that it is not for you to like or even understand. Just to accept. It is what it is. That's what a lot of my fellow straight men don't seem to understand.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Return to Off-Topic