Off-Topic. Superman has died

Feel free to discuss everything not related to Dolph. Have a good time and be friendly!

Moderator: Moderators

Off-Topic. Superman has died

Postby Dawn on 11 Oct 2004, 08:28

:( I am sad to report that several news sources are reporting that Christopher Reeve has died. He was one of my first heroes as a child and his determination to walk again made him a real life hero. May he rest in peace.
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 11 Oct 2004, 13:29

Yes, it is very sad indeed. As a kid I missed the Superman movies and later I was too old to enjoy them. So he wasn't an on-screen hero for me. But his courage and determination after his accident were so admirable. I always thought that if something like that happened to me I would have given hope immediately but he fought until the end. Not only for himself but for all the others who shared his fate, too. The world has lost a brave man.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 11 Oct 2004, 23:43

This is a sad loss :cry:
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Blackjack on 12 Oct 2004, 16:57

that is very sad
Blackjack

Postby Dolph_the_Arcane on 12 Oct 2004, 20:26

It is tragic, isn't it? He was so hopeful. His attitude was, is, really a fine example for anyone to follow, especially the infirm. I just hope that there was no foul-play connected to his death. My friends know me to be a very paranoid person, but I can't help but think that he might have gotten too close to something big in his stem cell research. I know he was VERY involved in the field hoping to find some sort of cure for his injuries. Perhaps some pharmacudical company or even a branch of the government was distrubed by his work and decided to cause a premature retirement. I certainly pray that such was not hte case. Either way, while he was always hopeful and optimistic, at least his trials are now over. I was never a big fan of the movies he did but I always felt that after his accident, he deserved respect and admiration. We'll miss you Superman. :cry:
Today is never yesterday until tomorrow...food for thought.
Dolph_the_Arcane

Postby Tom on 18 Oct 2004, 12:09

It was really sad news. He was a legend. On a conected subject who thinks they should dump this stpuid idea to do anohter Superman film? I don't wnat another. Christopher Reeve was Superman, the first film was classic and the second was great as well, they should leave them as they are. Superman directed by McG or Brett Ratner with Josh Hartnett in the lead and all those other god awful rumours, it would be an insult to all those involved in a great movie 25 years ago, and an insult to Reeve's legacy. No one should take Superman from him. Will the studios think that way? Nope. They'll make some sack of crap and palm it off as a tribute to Reeve and then a whole generation of young fans will have the image of some Hollywood puppet to look up to as the man of steel. Leave it alone I say, they should re-release the original because they won't better it. Re-release and share the profits between Reeve's charity, I can't see that happening though.
Tom
Regular

Postby Dawn on 18 Oct 2004, 16:24

The new Superman movie has been in the works on and off again since 1996. It was originally supposed to be a movie about Superman vs. Doomsday and his death, then his return. They were naming Nick Cage as the lead back then. Now I hear they want to remake the 1978 Superman instead, which is just bogus.

I am fine with a continuation, but not a re-hashing of what Christopher did. I would rather they do the death and Return of Superman like in the comic, but honestly I think it would be better not as live action, but either totally in animation or computer graphics. You would have to use at least some CGI in that kind of story and I honestly would rather it be all CGI or none.

I don't know if any of you read the death of Superman comics, but it was actually a very good story line, and the return was very triumphant. If they want to do a tribute to Reeve, they should do that instead.
Oh and btw, Josh Hartnett has not been auditioned for the role, so nothing is official, its merely a name that was tossed around. If memory serves, he even said he would not take the role anyway. Good thing, he is no Superman in my opinion. But many actors are scared of the supposed curse, so this movie may never get off the ground.
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 19 Oct 2004, 20:49

The only idea I like so far is a continuation. Somehing that embraces the first 2 Superman movies, which is the idea that Bryan Singer has had. Singer oucld make a good Supe movie and he wants an unknown to play the hero, which again is right. I don't won't them to go for a big star who is wrong for the part.
Tom
Regular

Postby Dawn on 22 Oct 2004, 07:33

No, they were looking for an unknown to play Superman and they officially have a new actor cast for the part now. Go here for the news and a picture of the next Superman: http://www.supermanhomepage.com/
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

Return to Off-Topic