Top Ten movies 2003?

Feel free to discuss everything not related to Dolph. Have a good time and be friendly!

Moderator: Moderators

Top Ten movies 2003?

Postby Tom on 05 Jan 2004, 22:51

What are everyones top tens, if they can pick em? Here are mine, bear in mind some were released in 2002 in the USA but filtered over to me in England later on.

Top Ten movies 2003:

1:Lord Of The Rings: Return of The King: The best film ever, followed by the two other LOTR movies. It’s emotional, epic, and exciting. Far and away the most perfect movie of the year. Wonderful cast as well, with Viggo Mortenson and Sean Astin particularly superb.
2: Finding Nemo: Great film from Pixar. As usual it’s funny, exctiting and the story is engrossing, with a great human element.
3: Kill Bill Vol-1: Quentin comes back with a bang. This martial arts fest is excellent. It’s violent funny and super cool, Uma Thurman is superb.
4: Pirates Of The Caribbean: Johnny Depp is amazing as he swashes and buckles his way through the enemies. This is thrilling and superbly entertaining.
5: Catch Me If You Can: Spielberg at his best, this isn’t as testing as some of his more high concept sci-fi or action films but he relishes the opportunity to put complex effects on the back burner and concentrate fully on this engaging and charming story.
6: About Schmidt: Dark and tragically funny comedy drama. Jack Nicholson is absolutely amazing, this guy is one of the best actors around. Kathy Bates also proves once again what a great character actress she is, but for the love of god woman keep your kit on!
7: Confessions of a Dangerous Mind: Oscar winning script writer Charlie Kaufman teams with debutant director Mr George Clooney for this entertaining yarn. It lives or dies on how much importance it is for the audience to believe Barris’s story. Far fetched it may be but like the story of Catch Me if You Can it is always the true stories that are the most bizarre. I believed it but that is mainly down to this excellent film. Sam Rockwell deserves an Oscar nod for this, but it isn't Academy fodder unfortunately.
8: X Men 2: Excellent blockbuster. Far and away the sequel of the year bar LOTR obviously. Hugh Jackman is the dude and Ian Mackellan is also excellent.
9: Gangs Of New York: This is by no means Scorsese’s best but even on an off day the guy is genius. The film looks fantastic, is epic, has great action and a brilliant cast and Daniel Day Lewis is outstanding.
10: 8 Mile: This is a good drama, compared to Rocky for obvious reasons. It ends leaving you wanting to see Rabbits next steps and this is down to a good script, likeable characters and the direction of Curtis Hanson (LA Confidential). Eminem is very good and also Kim Basinger as his mum, who despite being nearly 50 at the time still manages to find time to get her kecks off .

Best actors:

Jack Nicholson-About Schmidt
Daniel Day-Lewis- Gangs of New York
Johnny Depp- Pirates of the Caribbean
Viggo Mortenson- ROTK
Sam Rockwell- Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

Best supporting actors:

Sean Astin- ROTK
Ed Harris- The Hours
Ian Mackellen- RTOK and X2
Billy Boyd- RTOK
Rutger Hauer- Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.

Best Actresses:

Uma Thurman- Kill Bill
Julianne Moore- The Hours
Meryl Streep- The Hours
Nicole Kidman- The Hours
Jennifer Connelly- The Hulk

Best supporting actresses:

Kathy Bates- About Schmidt
Drew Barrymore- CODM
Julia Roberts- CODM
Miranda Otto- RTOK
Kim Basinger- 8 Mile

Best Direction:

Peter Jackson- RTOK
Quentin Tarantino- Kill Bill
Martin Scorcese- Gangs Of New York
Steven Spielberg- Catch Me If You Can
George Clooney- CODM

Best Screenplay:

Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens- RTOK

Best score:

Howard Shore- RTOK

Best cinematography:

Andrew Lesnie- RTOK

Best Editing:

Annie Collins and Jamie Selkirk- RTOK

Production Design:

Grant Major- RTOK

Best Set design:

Return of The King.

Best Visual effects:

Return Of The King.

Best Sound:

Kill Bill and Return of The King.

Best Soundtrack:

8 Mile and Kill Bill.

Best Hero:

Viggo Mortenson- RTOK

Best Villain:

Daniel Day-Lewis- Gangs Of New York

Best action sequence:

Kill Bill Dojo sequence and RTOK battle for Gondor.
Tom
Regular

Postby shooby on 28 Mar 2004, 20:02

No dolph inside :shock:
shooby

Postby bomaz on 28 Mar 2004, 20:29

except "detention" , no film in 2003 , so it's difficult !
bomaz

Postby shooby on 29 Mar 2004, 10:43

It was a joke.

But on the other side lots of actors which were won a trophy each years are doing one movie, that's all
shooby

Postby Mosquito on 06 Apr 2004, 23:43

Wow, Tom, good list. I can never tell my favourite movies of a particular year because I hopelessly loose track of what I've seen when. I agree on your top movies and would sort them like this:

1. Pirates Of The Caribbean
2 Lord Of The Rings: Return of The King:
3 Finding Nemo
4 Catch Me If You Can
5 Kill Bill Vol-1

I'm sure that there are others I'd list before X Men 2 (though it is a very nice and entertaining movie) but can't remember which ones. ;)

I haven't seen the others from your list but want to see About Schmidt ASAP. Something's Gotta Give is very good, too. ;) Can't see the hype about Keanu Reeves (never found him extraordinarily sexy or so) but I have to admit that he is a good actor - despite many people saying he isn't.

Damn, I wish I could add more movies but trying a list of 2003 movies on imdb would leave me with a choice of thousands I guess. ;) Maybe I can find another source where I can look up what was on cinema / DVD over here last year.

Uhm... and I hope that my grammar wasn't too weird. ;)
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 07 Apr 2004, 00:31

Ok, I've found a list that was "short" (about 2000) enough to be handled. ;)

Here's a list of movies made in 2003 that I have seen, ordered by my rating:

Intolerable Cruelty
Lord of the Rings: ROTK
The Italian Job
Identity
Something's Gotta Give
Foolproof
Bad Boys 2
Lost In Translation
Goodbye, Lenin
Once Upon A Time In Mexico
Terminator 3
Love, Actually
X-Men 2
The Core
Matrix: Reloaded
Tomb Raider: The Cradle Of Life
Anger Management
Bruce Allmighty
Johnny English
Bulletproof Monk
Hulk
Looney Tunes: Back In Action
S.W.A.T.
Shanghai Knights
Charlie's Angels 2
A Man Apart

So I know that there are some movies I've seen last year that are not on the list because their production date is 2002 (e.g. Pirates...). But as I said, my memory is just too bad for compiling a list by heart. ;)
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 11 Apr 2004, 15:24

maybe I'll surprise some of you on this board but my favorites movies in 2003 were THE HOURS and DOLLS (Takeshi Kitano) then maybe comes THE RETURN OF THE KING, KILL BILL and T3. For 2004, LOST IN TRANSLATION is my best film so far (released in France only last January)
Jox
Site Admin

Return to Off-Topic