Comparision to Steven Seagal

Feel free to discuss everything not related to Dolph. Have a good time and be friendly!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Jox on 07 Jun 2008, 19:29

You keep talking about this discussion "getting on your nerves" and not having the time and energy to keep it up "and gain nothing at it".

it's also that I know the more I say something the worse it gets because the less I'm rational and I already wasn't much

Has it ever struck you that you need someone to stand up to you every once in while?

Yes.
not exactly in that way though, as I actually feel like being someone who has never stood up for himself and runs away at the first glimpse of disagreement or conflict... maybe I appear differently here, but this would be the only area in my life I have any grasp or control on... I'm very weak.
The reason I reacted strongly here was this is an area dear to my heart.

You are always bullying people on this forum, well this is what it feels like!

this is something else here.

and either the term "bullying" is very strong, or I hope this is not as I appear to be, otherwise say so and I'd better disappear...

a bully? really? you mean like those arrogant kids looking for trouble usually arrassing smaller/weaker kids?

this is certainly not my agenda nor my ideology, on the contrary...

I sometimes have strong opinions about certain things and this is a place I can do it and moreover can't help doing it in certain cases...

now sure if we come back to the Dolph area, and since I also have various experiences and knowledge in the movie field, I grew as some kind of "authority" (not sure if the term is correct in English but in French we would use it in this context) on the subject...

but I don't wanna scare people away, no!
so please speak up, it's sometimes frustrating for me too when I see sometimes I'm the only one posting stuff or I post info nobody react to...

are we good now?

now thank you Seagal for bringing all this fuss here!
(and btw reviving a 3 year old topic maybe wasn't the brightest idea either?)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 07 Jun 2008, 21:04

You see fellas, this is what happens when the discussion turns to Steven Seagal.

To throw my 2 cents in, I've never once felt Jox has bullied anyone in the forum and he's done very well to head what is 99.9% of the time a very agreeable forum. As for Aikido it's not my cup of tea, and it's probably not something anyone can fully understand without having studied it with some degree of determination and passion. I think a debate on how well it can be used for kicking ass is a little pointless.

I think we need to get back to discussing Dolph, or at the very least shift this puppy to Off Topic and out the way a bit more.

Shake and make up guys, get to your DVD players, Dolph the fuck out a bit then come back refreshed and ready to worship the main man himself. I'm sure if he flicked across the page he'd prefer not to see arguments about Steven Seagal. I'm also sure he wouldn't like to dismiss the benefits of other martial arts. I'd certainly rather know Aikido than not know it, which sadly I don't.
Tom
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 07 Jun 2008, 21:42

Well said, Tom.

dolphage: If a moderator doesn't react sometimes and see that people stay nice and on the subject, then you have a forum like the old one. It ended up being a troll playground and the regulars went away. You can't always keep 100% of the people happy, but you should try to keep the majority happy.

And I agree: Whatever style or martial art... Akido, Judo, Karate... better to know one of them, no matter which one, than none. And like Tom I have to say, unfortunately I don't know any. But I will try to get my kids interested. After swimming and soccer of course. ;-)
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 08 Jun 2008, 11:13

Thanks.

No hard feelings!

I agree with and was actually thinking about moving this to Off-Topic, or just delete the last few posts.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 11 Jun 2008, 21:08

No hard feelings at all!
Jox,
I´m just saying that "with great power comes great responsability" (Spiderman is deep stuff). You are a moderator. When you barge into a thread and go: "Guys, it´s pointless to speculate about... Dolph working with De Niro in his next picture... or whatever.." That means "Stop this discussion, now (in effect)" and that´s what happens. When I do the same thing people go "fck you, dolphage" and keep talking. I have no power. And rightfully so.
I realise that you are an authority on Dolph Lundgren and I have come to understand that you dislike "fantasy speculation" about future DL projects, but you have to understand that you are a bigshot on this forum. People are scared of you. if you voice an opinion of dislike, that, in reality, means "shut up everyboby". And they all do (Except that one time when, preacher or was it Herr. Nilsson, got a little upset and bit back. It probably wasn´t preacher... But I don´t remember).

Tom, I have repeatedly stated that Jox is doing an amazing job, that has never been an issue, but even the Great Jox needs to be warned when he starts to get arrogant. Deep down he appreciates it. I think. Even if it angers him.

Mosquito, who has said anything about people "staying nice" or not? I haven´t. Jox hasn´t.
And if the subject of a thread is a "future DL project" and peolple are fantasizing about how that project could come to look, how is forbidding people to speculate on the subject keeping people on the subject? It is a FUTURE project, the only way to discuss it is to speculate.
I haven´t said anything about the moderators "keeping people nice" and "on subject". Even though...Now that you mention it... You are approaching dangerous territory. Keeping it "nice" is a highly subjective practice. You could easily start forbidding other opinions or points of view than your own when you start with that stuff. And I don´t think that´s what you want to do. Am I not "being nice", for example?

And, lastly, I am not crazy about conflict either, but this is a serious and (in my opinion) important discussion to have so you cannot liken it to the trolling/flaming that went on in the old forum at all. For that reason i HOPE that you do not delete this discussion. But again, that is not my call. I am just this forum´s "big mouth". Not a mod.
dolphage
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 11 Jun 2008, 21:29

dolphage wrote:And, lastly, I am not crazy about conflict either, but this is a serious and (in my opinion) important discussion to have so you cannot liken it to the trolling/flaming that went on in the old forum at all. For that reason i HOPE that you do not delete this discussion. But again, that is not my call. I am just this forum´s "big mouth". Not a mod.

No, sorry, misunderstanding. I wasn't referring to *this* thread as being in danger of becoming a troll thread. I just meant if a moderator does not moderate *in general* and does not stop certain people or discussions (not necessarily this one), the forum will turn into troll territory sooner or later.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 11 Jun 2008, 23:03

Very interesting post dolphage, thanks.

And my portrayal was both funny and scary ("you are a bigshot on this forum. People are scared of you. if you voice an opinion of dislike, that, in reality, means "shut up everybody". And they all do"). Do I have that much power (if power there is) or influence?

Anyway I hope I don't scare anyone or keep anybody from saying what they think and what they want.

I didn't know my thing about speculating on projects made such an impression. I don't think I meant to shut everybody up but maybe it felt like it? I admit sometimes it can annoy me in a way, and seeing it on other sites I can find it pointless or childish. But who am I to say? I guess what I mean when I say something about it is more to "speak the voice of reason" (if I may say so although it sounds pretty presumptuous), or to say "well don't be disappointed later", or just to express my not being too excited before I see something happen because I've been disappointed too many times. But because I say something doesn't mean "shush" or that the discussion has to stop...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby UniChris on 13 Sep 2008, 01:20

I can stand to watch Seagal, I think he peaked at Under Seige. As for Dolph, all I have seen is Red Scorpian, but I am looking to buy more of his films, like I have done with Van Damme (9 films and counting).
UniChris

Postby manudenis2005 on 16 Sep 2008, 01:22

I like them both.I still preffer more Dolph ...because it's Dolph!!!!!!!!Seagal "died" for me after Exit Wounds.The last movie I liked with him.The movies that came after this didn't make me happy at all.
Dolph career seemed to aproach the end after Blackjack, but he came back ,for me,with Hidden Agenda.Hidden Agenda,Direct Action,The Mechanik,The Defender and Missionary Man are better than any of Seagal's DTV movies.
manudenis2005
manudenis2005
Regular

Postby Geoff on 16 Sep 2008, 10:03

Both have their own merits and after Seagal's Urban Justice and Pistol Whipped he too is getting back to form. His new one however Kill Switch is god awful and what’s worse he actually wrote the screen play. Dolph has a lot more flare and has injected his own style into the films and is taking more control over the finished product where Seagal does not anymore. However I cant ever totally right Seagal off as having met him I generally am very fond of the guy. If I ever get to meet Dolph I will be able to compare - maybe Jox and I should get together and work on pros and cons over a few beers. :D
- Lets be honest. This is just a case to you, to me its more. Much more! and if you try and take this disk I'm going to hit you very, very hard!
Geoff
Regular

Re:

Postby dlph on 14 Jun 2010, 17:20

dolphage wrote:Aikido is a total sham.
It only works for exhibitions and movies (were the opponent is in on it and knows what he is excpected to do). It looks cool on film but it´s a useless fighting system.

But Dolph borrowed some of the bonebreaking and untouchability of Seagal in Direct Action.

Agreed to some extent.
Not sure what martial art or school Dolph learned his throwing techniques in his past recent dvd films, but yes its very similar to Seagal's aikido tosses.
I must admit, when I saw a brief trailer of Lundgren tossing bad guys...I was impressed :D :shock: Way to go Dolph.
There's way too much punching and kicking in films nowadays, and that went out with Bronson, Eastwood, and Schwarzenegger.
Seagal's martial arts put entertainment into today's movie markets and it seems to be attracting alot of movie goers with his open hand slapping and knife hand chopping and add a few kung fu and bagua zhang and tai chi and hsing i chuan fighting techniques , thus making Steven Seagal's movies 'wide-varietied' with lots of believability :mrgreen:
dlph

Re: Comparision to Steven Seagal

Postby Jox on 22 Jun 2010, 17:01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScZSCIW27x0
maybe if he wasn't always giving people advice and train he wouldn't have such big fat belly?!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby ben on 12 Jul 2010, 09:17

I hold both of them in high respect, they both have different qualities that make them what they are for different reasons. Unfortunately neither of them have had the right project of late to properly showcase their abilities, and to the right audience, but hopefully that will change for Dolph with "The Expendables", and for Steven with "Machete".
ben

Postby dlph on 12 Jul 2010, 17:12

ben wrote:I hold both of them in high respect, they both have different qualities that make them what they are for different reasons. Unfortunately neither of them have had the right project of late to properly showcase their abilities, and to the right audience, but hopefully that will change for Dolph with "The Expendables", and for Steven with "Machete".

Agreed with u ben
Thay both are top dogs in what they do in cinema!
If I had two actors to pick for the best/most popular/heroic of all actors, it'd be Dolph Lundgren or Steven Seagal!
I think Steven Seagal has adopted Clint Eastwood's old role model of toughest and most convincing actor in movies during the 1970' and 1980'
Especially, as how Seagal cranks out movies on a punctual basis-every year, just as Eastwood has done. Very similar are Clint and Steven with prolific cinematic profiles
dlph

Postby Mosquito on 12 Jul 2010, 20:22

dlph wrote:Especially, as how Seagal cranks out movies on a punctual basis-every year, just as Eastwood has done. Very similar are Clint and Steven with prolific cinematic profiles

Bold comparison.
Mosquito
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic