MEN OF WAR (Perry Lang, 1994)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: MEN OF WAR

Postby The Robin on 17 Feb 2009, 11:36

Question?

Why in the hell does Men of War have a One and a half star rating on my TV lineup??? :shock:

I thought it was awesome. Well now that I noticed what Canadian wrote, it gives some insight to it, but that final battle is amazing IMO!

BTW, Jox, what's that competition?
RIP Charles "Mask" Lewis! TapouT will never be the same.
^^ My Avatar ^^
Always an active American Gladiator!
The Robin

Postby Jox on 17 Feb 2009, 11:45

The Robin wrote:Question?

Why in the hell does Men of War have a One and a half star rating on my TV lineup??? :shock:
Who knows the ways of critics especially in TV programs but anyhow the movie got some of the best reviews/praise for a Dolph film when it came out in French theaters (didn't help much though as it did very poorly at the box office)

BTW, Jox, what's that competition?

I guess it's from Anchor Bay to help publicize the DVD, just click on the link to check it out, there's just one simple question to answer (I would assume it's only open to UK residents though).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby leigh1975 on 23 Feb 2009, 15:48

I just got my Men Of War DVD in the post today, and... WOW!! Bearing in mind that being in the UK and we've only had it on VHS fullscreen, the letterbox image (2.35:1 Anamorphic) looks stunning! Also, ignore the fact it says 2.0 surround on the box, the 5.1 sound kicks ass in the action scenes, although it drifts around the surrounds a little bit. Most importantly, it's the uncut version (I have the fullscreen Holland version for comparison), but oddly it's been downgraded from an 18 to a 15. No trailer, unfortunately, but makes up for it with an absolutely gorgeous inside cover (the main pic is the rather iconic shot of the mercs posing outside the temple, plus other shots. I anybody's a fan of this film, it's a must!!

Think I'll have to review this one, keep an eye out for it. :D
leigh1975

Postby Jox on 23 Feb 2009, 17:19

NICE!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 23 Feb 2009, 19:42

Might have to buy this one then...
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

New MEN OF WAR DVD Competition!

Postby Jox on 26 Feb 2009, 20:33

NEW MEN OF WAR DVD (uncut, widescreen, 5.1 DD sound) COMPETITION!

To win one of the 3 copies from Anchor Bay, answer ONE of the following questions and send your replies with your complete postal address to dolph.ultimate@gmail.com

- Name one famous director previously attached to the project.
- Give one alternate title that the film was given.
- Who wrote the script?
- What was Dolph Lundgren's previous movie?

Subsidiary question:
Guess how many people will enter this contest.

---PRESS RELEASE---

DOLPH LUNDGREN AT HIS HARD-HITTING BEST
Co-written by John Sayles (The Spiderwick Chronicles; Lone Star) and starring Dolph Lundgren (Storm Catcher; Universal Soldier; Rocky IV), Charlotte Lewis (Embrace Of The Vampire; The Golden Child) and B.D. Wong (Law & Order: Special Victims Unit; Oz), the explosive action adventure movie MEN OF WAR comes to DVD for the first time in the UK in February, courtesy of Anchor Bay Entertainment.
Dolph Lundgren stars as Nick Gunar, a down-and-out former commando and mercenary struggling to readjust to civilian life in Chicago. An opportunity to get his life back to how it used to be presents itself when two businessmen offer him the job of leading a team of guerrillas to a remote Pacific island in order to convince the local natives to sign over the island's lucrative mineral rights. To assist him on the mission, Nick recruits a small group of his former mercenary buddies, all crack commandos with dubious moral values and whose only concern is getting the job done quickly and claiming their pay, no matter what the cost.

Having arrived on the idyllic paradise island and met the peaceful locals, who bluntly refuse to give up their land, Nick learns the truth behind the venture and decides to change sides to help defend the island against the industrialists. But his about-face causes a rift amongst his band of soldiers of fortune and he soon finds himself caught in the middle of a violent conflict as the battle for control of the island spirals out of control.

Beautifully shot on location in Thailand and considered by many action movie fans to be among the best of Dolph Lundgren's career to date, MEN OF WAR is a hard-hitting, testosterone-fuelled adventure with an unusually effective emotional core.

MEN OF WAR (cert. 15) will be released on DVD (£15.99) by Anchor Bay Entertainment on 23rd February 2009.
Jox
Site Admin

Re: New MEN OF WAR DVD Competition!

Postby Warchild on 14 Mar 2009, 01:02

Wish this was for a DVD i actually don't have, i already have Men of War good movie.
Warchild
Regular

Postby Jox on 14 Mar 2009, 01:23

Well yeah but this is for the only totally uncut widescreen version (and an approximate 5.1).

By the way it's still open for entries for those who haven't entered it.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby The Robin on 15 Mar 2009, 01:55

Any restrictions for U.S.?
RIP Charles "Mask" Lewis! TapouT will never be the same.
^^ My Avatar ^^
Always an active American Gladiator!
The Robin

Postby Jox on 15 Mar 2009, 19:09

Not at all (or I would have said so)!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 19 Mar 2009, 21:36

Still one week to go!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Craigie-Boy on 26 Mar 2009, 04:55

Jox wrote:Well yeah but this is for the only totally uncut widescreen version (and an approximate 5.1).

So is the standard R1 disc cut in any way?
Craigie-Boy
Regular

Postby Jox on 26 Mar 2009, 11:40

Yes it is, only some quick cuts here and there but so subtle it took me a long time to realize it myself!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 27 Mar 2009, 17:58

The WINNERS of the competition will be notified and be sent their DVD.

Regarding the subsidiary question only 9 people entered the contest!

*not "How would the life of a dolph-fan be without jox and dolph-ultimate? Answer: An eternal walk in the desert", although that was a pretty cool answer!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 30 Mar 2009, 16:29

Brilliant review Leigh and awesome screenshots to go with it. Keep them coming mate.

http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/men-of-war.html

By the way Jox, thought you might be interested to know that Men of War entered the top 50 UK dvds in some stores across the UK.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies