MISSIONARY MAN (Dolph Lundgren, 2007)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: MISSIONARY MAN

Postby leigh1975 on 28 May 2009, 15:17

Never seen this promo before, hillarious! I love the bit when Dolph starts to corpse and laugh!

Apologies if it's been seen;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmlSr3l3Z9A
leigh1975

Postby Jox on 28 May 2009, 19:00

Oh yeah there's like four or five of these :lol:
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jack Caine on 28 May 2009, 22:58

That is quite possibly the strangest thing I've ever seen. :lol:
"I come in peace!"
"But you go in pieces, a**hole!"
Jack Caine

Postby algren on 30 Sep 2009, 10:00

Missionary Man

After seeing some of Dolph's other movies like Bride of Dragons and Sweepers, I wasn't the most enthusiastic person ever to sit down and watch Missionary Man, but I'M PLEASED I DID. First things first, Dolph can direct. He can direct very well. If this is Dolph's style then i want him to direct every movie he stars in. This is the best Dolph film since Silent Trigger (not seen Mechanik & Defender yet, which i hear are good), he hit all the right buttons.

The main thing with me is the style and appearance of a film, this film doesn't look like DTV fare at all and it plays out quite well. The whole movie has a really nice sheen over it, must be down to Dolph's directing style. Everybody acts well in the movie (even Dolph), which is different to the other Dolph's i've watched lately. His character is great, like some sort of urban legend character. I like the whole Bible and Tequila thing, its great.

I can forget the other movies i have seen lately because this has set a benchmark for the rest of his to reach. The grades i have given the others were for DTV movies, therefore are invalid as real grades for movies, but this is worthy of a grade for proper movies. It's company will be with the best movies i have ever seen.

Grade: 8/10
algren

Postby Jox on 30 Sep 2009, 10:22

Then I hope you get a kick out of THE DEFENDER and THE MECHANIK!

Because though MM is quite good and has a lot going for it, it's still the worse out of these three, mostly due the lack of support from producers, lack of budget, and a much less talented cinematographer (if only it had been shot by Ross Clarkson as planned but as he was on hold Florentine "stole" him to camera operate on THE SHEPHERD).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby algren on 30 Sep 2009, 10:37

You guys have pumped these two up rather big now, i hope they don't dissapoint. I have them on my shelves, when i get time i will watch them and post a review straight after. :)
algren

Postby algren on 30 Sep 2009, 10:49

Forgot to mention:

Dolph's physique is better than his previous, seems to have more muscle. When he steps out of the bathroom, i was suprised. His body in Direct Action and Bridge of Dragons isn't that impressive, but in Missionary Man his body seems to be more toned and looking much better. Maybe it gets better with age.
algren

Postby Jox on 30 Sep 2009, 11:28

Most of use was TD and TM before MM obviously (and they blew our minds at the time after rather dry years of generic low budget DTV) but it'll be interesting to hear the reaction of someone who started with MM and already got a blast with it (I love MM but since I had very high expectations for it especially after the first trailer I was a bit disappointed it didn't turn out even better not mentioning the HD transfer screw up that messed the image up)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 30 Sep 2009, 22:46

Dunno if I'm the only one on this board but I think that Missionary Man is better than The Defender. Yes, I know the colours are an accident rather than an intention. But I like the outcome! And I like the movie. Best line by far: "I will break your nose with this knee. And there is nothing you can do about it." - how he delivers it... epic! Dolph rulez.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby algren on 30 Sep 2009, 23:34

Mosquito wrote:Dunno if I'm the only one on this board but I think that Missionary Man is better than The Defender. Yes, I know the colours are an accident rather than an intention. But I like the outcome! And I like the movie. Best line by far: "I will break your nose with this knee. And there is nothing you can do about it." - how he delivers it... epic! Dolph rulez.

I agree. That line was awesome!

"I will break that nose....with this knee....and there's nothing you can do about it"

Makes me laugh just thinking about it.
algren

Postby dolphage on 01 Oct 2009, 00:17

algren wrote:
Mosquito wrote:Best line by far: "I will break your nose with this knee. And there is nothing you can do about it." - how he delivers it... epic! Dolph rulez.

"I will break that nose....with this knee....and there's nothing you can do about it"

It's almost a word for word quote from... some other movie. I forget which movie it was originally from... Luckily there are some major film buffs on this board. Anyone?
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby algren on 01 Oct 2009, 00:19

Oh don't say that, man. That will ruin it for me now.
algren

Postby dolphage on 01 Oct 2009, 00:31

Sorry, Algren. Don't watch Shane or Pale Rider in that case (one could argue that Missionary Man is a remake). The Mechanik is a better film IMO but MM is still good. I mean it's Dolph "fckng" Lundgren, after all.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jack Caine on 01 Oct 2009, 04:32

dolphage wrote:
algren wrote:
Mosquito wrote:Best line by far: "I will break your nose with this knee. And there is nothing you can do about it." - how he delivers it... epic! Dolph rulez.

It's almost a word for word quote from... some other movie. I forget which movie it was originally from... Luckily there are some major film buffs on this board. Anyone?

The original quote is from Billy Jack, where he looks at the governor guy and says "You know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna take this foot and kick that side of your face. And you know what else? There's not a damn thing you're gonna do about it." ...followed by the ultimate ass-kicking in Hapkido history.
"I come in peace!"
"But you go in pieces, a**hole!"
Jack Caine

Postby dolphage on 01 Oct 2009, 14:04

There you go! Thanks Mr Caine.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies