JOHNNY MNEMONIC (Robert Longo, 1995)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Jox on 30 Oct 2008, 16:58

Japanese version coming out on Blu-Ray in December with making of, behind the scenes, interviews, music video, trailer etc

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BRS-22314
http://www.amazon.co.jp/JM-JOHNNY-MNEMONIC-ロバート・ロンゴ/dp/B001HUN1PS

With also a priced-down re-issue of the DVD.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby BrunnenMatt on 01 Jan 2009, 00:28

Hey,

Here's some news about the Japanese Blu-ray release posted on Blu-ray.com.

Originally Posted by ghidorah
For anyone that's interested JM is indeed Region Free.
Disc looks pretty good though all the menu options are in Japanese. The Japanese cut of the film (ie longer version) is included as an extra.Shame its not the High Definition version which is the generally accepted theatrical version. All in all, for fans of the film (and I know there are some other than me out there ) its a good purchase but obviously not cheap!

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
Im not quite clear on this - the standard theatrical is in HD but the extended japanese version is an added extra in SD? Is that right?

Originally Posted by ghidorah
Yes thats right

Do remember this movie has Japanese dialogue in the film, and the first DVD release did not have English subtitles. On-line stores do list English subtitles, if this is right you will need to manually turn them on and off yourself when Japanese dialogue in spoken.

I would assume this would be a new transfer for the longer version of the film or a higher bit rate from the first release, might purchase this further down the road, if the longer version has English subtitles. I would assume the theatrical version would have optional English subtitles only?

Did anybody order this to give us a comparison of the film on Blu-ray?

....BMatt
BrunnenMatt
Regular

Postby Jox on 02 Jan 2009, 11:36

I'm interested in buying this one but with the certitude that the Japanese cut transfer is better than the initial Japanese DVD release (the extras seem to be the same as those on the Scandinavian version)
Jox
Site Admin

Re: JOHNNY MNEMONIC

Postby Jox on 15 Aug 2009, 22:04

Street Preacher scenes compilation
(international cut, without the extra footage that is on the Japanese version)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby evegotbet on 18 Aug 2009, 01:38

my gosh, i can't believe that is Dolph with long hair and playing a preacher :?: - (i'm not sure i haven't seen the movie) - that's so funny (everything is funny to me :x ). i'm not too crazy about the bloody gore. however, i like the way he tries to take out the demon out of people - "it's JESUS time" that's funny- (forgive me JESUS, i hope that's not sacreligious).
evegotbet

Postby MikeR on 18 Aug 2009, 22:28

Every time I see that movie I always think Dolph Lundgren should perform in pantomime.

'He's behind you!'

'Oh no he's not!'

There's over-acting, then there's that - but at least he looked like he was having fun with some pretty dreadful dialogue.

M.
MikeR

Postby evegotbet on 18 Aug 2009, 23:26

should perform in pantomime.
. i haven't seen the movie yet. is pantomime like those drama dance plays where guys wear 'skin tight body suits?' :| . i wouldn't mind seeing Dolph in something like that :D . i'm sorry, i know i'm misapplying what u really mean by 'pantomime'. i'm not very familiar with pantomimes however- plays, dances, dramas, costumes or stuff like that. forgive me, silly me always takes things in a mischievous direction when it comes to Dolph :D .
evegotbet

Postby MikeR on 19 Aug 2009, 01:47

;)

Sorry to disappoint you - pantomime is a very old type of play performed in British theatres around Christmas usually based on fairy tales or childrens' stories like Snow White, Aladdin or Jack and the Beanstalk. It's an excuse for huge amounts of over-acting, cross dressing and terrible jokes. In recent years, cities have been competing to get the biggest stars from Hollywood to perform in panto - including people like Kylie Minogue and Sir Ian McKellan. They're usually aimed at families with young children - so probably your wish for Dolph Lundgren in a skin tight body suit wouldn't be suitable... popular - possibly ;)

M.
MikeR

Postby dolphage on 19 Aug 2009, 12:19

MikeR wrote:Sorry to disappoint you - pantomime is a very old type of play performed in British theatres around Christmas

Well, pantomime is quite a bit older than the British re-hashing of it, and the "mime" plays that evegotbet seems to be thinking about are also called pantomime.

" 1 : pantomimist
2 a : an ancient Roman dramatic performance featuring a solo dancer and a narrative chorus b : any of various dramatic or dancing performances in which a story is told by expressive bodily or facial movements of the performers c : a British theatrical entertainment of the Christmas season based on a nursery tale and featuring topical songs, tableaux, and dances
3 a : conveyance of a story by bodily or facial movements especially in drama or dance b : the art or genre of conveying a story by bodily movements only"

-Merriam-Webster Dictionary

I don't think DL overacts in Johnny Mneumonic. he plays an over-the-top, psychotic, villain in a very over-the-top, "futuristic" world. He does that perfectly.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby evegotbet on 21 Aug 2009, 06:39

"MikeR:

pantomime is a very old type of play performed in British theatres around Christmas usually based on fairy tales or childrens' stories like Snow White, Aladdin or Jack and the Beanstalk. It's an excuse for huge amounts of over-acting, cross dressing and terrible jokes. In recent years, cities have been competing to get the biggest stars from Hollywood to perform in panto - including people like Kylie Minogue and Sir Ian McKellan. They're usually aimed at families with young children - so probably your wish for Dolph Lundgren in a skin tight body suit wouldn't be suitable... popular - possibly ;)

wow, that's really cool. i'm not very television savvy, or drama savvy. but this sounds like alot of fun. and yes, if it's aimed at families with young children i would be highly disappointed if i caught Dolph wearing a skin tight body suit :lol: , Dolph wouldn't do that anyway - Thank GOD :)
P.S. r u British? i'm just curious. i never really talked to a British guy ever, b/c i was always too shy. now that i'm older, if ur British, i would just like to compliment u Brits on how well u have the English language mastered. it's interesting to watch British people talk to one another, and how British people address audiences - no tripping over words, no ums, or ahs - interesting.
evegotbet

Postby Jox on 21 Aug 2009, 10:05

evegotbet please try to stay on topic, I believe dolphage already told you he was Swedish, and even if he didn't going off on a tangent about British people was so random :?
Jox
Site Admin

Postby evegotbet on 24 Aug 2009, 00:22

Jox wrote:
please try to stay on topic

okay, but Dolph 'the man' should talk to us already
I believe dolphage already told you he was Swedish

i was talking to Mike R
evegotbet

Postby dolphage on 24 Aug 2009, 16:39

evegotbet wrote: i would just like to compliment u Brits on how well u have the English language mastered.

Right... :|
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 16 Sep 2009, 23:13

Hah, thanks to the other photo thread, I stumbled upon this hilarious JM page:

http://www.bestweekever.tv/2008-7-25/the-50-most-ridiculous-moments-in-cinematic-history/
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 17 Sep 2009, 21:07

Hahahahahahahahahaha!! :lol: "And of course, Dolph Lundgren as Jesus"... I love the way it's said like, yeah naturally he's jesus haha, like you would expect Dolph to play Jesus.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies