UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: REGENERATION (John Hyams, 2009)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: A NEW BEGINNING / REGENERATION (2009)

Postby Jox on 09 Jun 2010, 20:08

UNISOL 3 opened last week-end in Italy at #18 to gross €14,250. We don't know on how many screens but I think it was very limited.
http://www.cinematografo.it/cinemedia/o ... _City.html

Ticket for the Japanese preview/premiere on June 16

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 10 Jun 2010, 10:37

Not sure these pics from the Fantastic Fest screening were posted:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fantasticf ... 386709681/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Dragonrage on 10 Jun 2010, 11:48

I really like this one!! Don't know...maybe is because of the background...
Dragonrage

Postby Jox on 19 Jun 2010, 23:17

Sweden / Norway September 1st, 2010
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Scorpio on 20 Jun 2010, 02:26

It is incredible but here in Spain nothing is even known about the premiere of the movie.. :(
Scorpio

Postby Jox on 20 Jun 2010, 19:31

Scorpio wrote:It is incredible but here in Spain nothing is even known about the premiere of the movie.. :(
I'm sure it'll come...

Apparently Dolph sent a video message for a screening of UNISOL 3 at the Dreamhack festival in Sweden

Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 21 Jun 2010, 11:16

Yeah, he announces a screening of the movie in one of the rooms at DreamHack, but more importantly he say he costars with "that Belgian ballet dancer, Jean Claude Van Damme" and " I get a chance to beat him up again, which is very nice". That's awesome! Even though he is just kidding.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 21 Jun 2010, 12:18

http://www.dreamhack.se/dhs10/news/1567 ... -nya-rulle
Premiärvisning av Dolphs nya rulle!

DreamHack i samarbete med Svensk Filmindustri arrangerar premiärvisning av Universial Soldier III: Regeneration med Dolph Lundgren som Andrew Scott i en av huvudrollerna, tillsammans med actionhjälten Jean-Claude Van Damme.

Den svenska premiärvisningen sker på DreamArena Orange söndag 20/6 kl. 18.00 och det finns 300 platser i lokalen så se till att vara där på plats. Actionladdad TV-underhållning när den är som bäst!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 22 Jun 2010, 23:44

Here's a review I like:
http://movies.insidepulse.com/2010/06/2 ... ters-pt-1/
It’s funny, because when I started reviewing films for this site a few years ago, it was another Jean-Claude Van Damme DTV, Second in Command that clued me in on exactly what was wrong with the format at the time. Full of exposition and not nearly enough action to keep me interested, the movie was a failure on so many levels. Looking at Universal Soldier: Regeneration I can see just how far things have come; because not only is this the best Van Damme action movie in over a decade, this is probably the best DTV of all time.

My colleague Rob Saucedo recently went into more depth with this thing, and right now I can’t get into great specifics because I got a lot to cover in this column, but here’s the skinny. The movie is about a rebel faction in Russia that has taken over Chernobyl, and threatens to blow it up unless their demands are met by the country’s government. Also, to make sure that there’s no interference, the terrorists have brought along the newest version of Universal Soldier (Andrei Arlovski), who ends up wiping out a contingent of older models when the United Nations tries to retake the nuclear facility. As a last resort, former “Unisol” Luc Deveraux, who is going through psychological treatments in order to recover from his former life in the program, is sent in to try and contain the situation and take the reactor back from the terrorists.

Now, if you’ve got visions of Universal Soldier: The Return in your head, then throw them right out. Awesome with a capital “A”, this film does for the Universal Soldier franchise what the last Rambo did for Stallone’s PTSD troubled vet by taking itself completely seriously and throwing out all the crap that came in between the first Universal Soldier film and this one. What we’re talking about here is a hardcore, violent action picture, with incredible atmosphere by director John Hyams, who absolutely gives us the best fight scenes of the series and maybe the best of Van Damme’s career.

Photographed by the director’s father Peter Hyams, the director of Van Damme vehicles Timecop and Sudden Death, the movie has a gritty, realistic look about it that helps to set the mood of the entire picture. I can’t say enough about the way that director John Hyams also puts together his action scenes, favoring long takes to choppy editing and basically giving us a clinic on how to orchestrate a rush of adrenaline. Also, the movie’s emphasis on physical stunts to CGI or visual effects is very, very welcome.

Finally there’s the cast. MMA veterans Andrei Arlovski and Mike Pyle make a terrific impression on the audience. This goes especially for Arlovski, who plays this role quiet and menacing, showing us a lot of screen presence here. Van Damme gives us a post-JCVD performance that is more than admirable, with a scary 1000-yard stare and an amazing physicality we haven’t seen in some time from him. Stealing the whole show though, is Dolph Lundgren. He’s onscreen the least out of all the principle cast, but makes the absolute biggest impression possible. There’s a feeling of desperation to this character, full of sadness at not being able to fully grasp why he’s been brought back and every moment he’s onscreen is nothing less than fascinating. Let me tell you, I can’t wait for The Expendables, and Lundgren is definitely one of the biggest reasons why (more on him in a moment).

Still one of the best action films to come out at all this year, Universal Soldier: Regeneration is one of the biggest DTV surprises ever and a masterpiece of the format.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Scorpio on 26 Jun 2010, 12:25

Front of the Blu-Ray of Belgium:

Scorpio

Postby bomaz on 30 Jun 2010, 16:39

bomaz

UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: Action Figures/Model Kits

Postby UNISOL W7 on 06 Aug 2010, 11:06

Hi, guys!
Please join this group on Facebook! I need you to help me in contacting many action figure and model kits manufacturing companies; perhaps one day we can get any for Universal Soldier! Thank you.
URL: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=272608435131
UNISOL W7

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies