UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: REGENERATION (John Hyams, 2009)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: A NEW BEGINNING / REGENERATION (2009)

Postby Jox on 06 Aug 2010, 11:55

You should try to contact Hot Toys in HK since they seem to make a lot of action figures in 1/6 scale like RAMBO, ROCKY, TERMINATOR, and soon THE EXPENDABLES... :wink:
Jox
Site Admin

Postby algren on 11 Aug 2010, 10:52

Universal Soldier: A New Generation

I bought this in China in a cheap DVD store (maybe illegal), and the copy was great, although at times it would go black & white and have "Material is copyright of production company. If found please return to yadda yadda yadda..." run along the bottom, but what the hell; it was only $2.

I have to say I really enjoyed this. Ok, ok, we know it's not going to rival the quality and perfection that is the first Universal Soldier, but this was quite good in the writing department. Dolph is in it for about 4 minutes total screen time and Van Damme for about 17 minutes, but it's really nice to see them back in a UniSol movie together. Dolph has lost what screen presence he ever had in the first one, but at least he still has the same attitude, which is nice to see. Van Damme looks exactly like what he is in real-life; a forgotten action star that makes bad career decisions.

Andrei "the pitbull" Arlovski is pretty wooden, although he looks like he can handle himself, which paved the way for this role to be a success for him. But god, please don't let him be in another movie. I just can't stand to look at that nose any longer.

B-

Just to give you some perspective:

Universal Soldier A
algren

Postby Nathan on 11 Aug 2010, 14:25

algren wrote:Universal Soldier: A New Generation

I bought this in China in a cheap DVD store (maybe illegal), and the copy was great, although at times it would go black & white and have "Material is copyright of production company. If found please return to yadda yadda yadda..." run along the bottom, but what the hell; it was only $2.

I have to say I really enjoyed this. Ok, ok, we know it's not going to rival the quality and perfection that is the first Universal Soldier, but this was quite good in the writing department. Dolph is in it for about 4 minutes total screen time and Van Damme for about 17 minutes, but it's really nice to see them back in a UniSol movie together. Dolph has lost what screen presence he ever had in the first one, but at least he still has the same attitude, which is nice to see. Van Damme looks exactly like what he is in real-life; a forgotten action star that makes bad career decisions.

Andrei "the pitbull" Arlovski is pretty wooden, although he looks like he can handle himself, which paved the way for this role to be a success for him. But god, please don't let him be in another movie. I just can't stand to look at that nose any longer.

B-

Just to give you some perspective:

Universal Soldier A

It's a screener copy dude, like the one I saw online, it goes black and white every 15 minutes and has a copyright warning.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 27 Aug 2010, 00:18

The two really look like a romantic couple. Bummer that JCVD doesn't have long, curly hair that could wave in the wind... and a white horse in the background is missing, two. But otherwise... they are *so* cute togeterh! :wink:
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 27 Aug 2010, 11:39

This picture is from behind the scenes, they're watching the stunt guys do the move while having a grip on each other, that's why their attitude looks kinda funny I guess.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 27 Aug 2010, 13:17

Cover of the Japanese Blu-ray (out October 27)
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BRL-80092

The Japanese also have the good idea to sell you both the DVD and Blu-ray in the same package.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Dida on 27 Aug 2010, 21:10

This cover is so cool!
If he dies....he dies....
Dida

Postby Krom on 29 Aug 2010, 14:10

A must buy!
TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular

Postby Nathan on 29 Aug 2010, 18:18

That's one of the best US-3 covers I've seen, no dodgy photoshop, it's clear that JC and Dolph have the most epic parts and it doesn't leave out Arlovski. Very cool and 90's.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 31 Aug 2010, 09:54

From Sly's Twitter:
Enjoy seeing j claude battle dolph for real. helpful hint- bring VERY TALL LADDER,LARGE SLEDGEHAMMER, AND CUSTOM BODYBAG.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 05 Sep 2010, 14:27

John Hyams on US3 (thanks to Lionheart351976 at Vandammefans.net):
the fate of the PM's children was not the real story, it was simply a vehicle. the real story focused on the moral implications of humans playing God, of trying to create a slave race, and that this technology had now reached the open market. we chose to focus on the plight of the unisols -- from Luc to Scott to the NGU, to the other nameless soldiers. their relationships with their creators, the Dr. Frankenstein aspect, as well as those who paid for their services (commander Toppov) deserved the bulk of the screen time. the concept of the PM's kidnapped kids served merely as a conduit to the more important story, one that dealt with the mythology of the franchise in a meaningful way. we didn't take for granted that the government had created zombie soldiers to do their dirty work. that was worthy of further exploraion.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 06 Sep 2010, 22:44

Official page for the Japanese DVD/Blu-Ray (retail and rental editions)
http://unisol-is-back.jp/dvd/

AND apparently our own 'Dragonrage' 's custom one sheet designs caught up the attention of the Pakistani distributor who made it the theatrical one sheet over there, congrats!! 8)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby preacher on 06 Sep 2010, 23:08

AND apparently our own 'Dragonrage' 's custom one sheet designs caught up the attention of the Pakistani distributor who made it the theatrical one sheet over there, congrats!! 8)

Haha. How great is that! Good luck in your pending lawsuit Dragon ;)
You must feel kinda flattered right?
Do they just google images and pick one they like?
preacher
Regular

Postby Moltisanti on 06 Sep 2010, 23:10

Very cool. Nice going, Dragonrage.
Moltisanti
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies