THE EXPENDABLES 2 (Simon West, 2012)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

THE EXPENDABLES 2 (Simon West, 2012)

Postby Jox on 28 Aug 2010, 18:17

I open this thread, since the chances are very strong we shall meet Gunnar Jensen again in the EXPENDABLES II now in talks and development...

Sly is tweeting that he already had dinner with Bruce Willis about it.
Had dinner with Bruce Willis last night. I want him in EXPENDABLES II as a super villain. What do you think?
Jox
Site Admin

Re: THE EXPENDABLES II (rumored)

Postby Krom on 30 Aug 2010, 10:56

Vernon Wells !
TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular

Postby Jox on 10 Sep 2010, 15:16

Dunno if we should take this seriously but here's the second hint that Sly wants Dolph to go at it with Van Damme, maybe he'll change his mind and find another twist because that could be over-redundant...
@TheSlyStallone So what's next for Gunner? I see Dolph becoming a good-guy version of his Street Preacher, strangling baddies with a rosary

@solomediag well all he really wants to do is rumble with JCVD.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 19 Sep 2010, 04:55

So once the trip to Japan is done and over with is DL switching focus back onto Skin Trade and other projects back home or is he going to dive right into TE2?

I read somewhere the head of Lionsgate has already greenlighted Stallone for TE2. I imagine it would be tough for DL to start his own movie while hype for the sequel has already picked up. I can't fathom it taking Stallone very long to write the sequel... these action flicks sometimes write themselves... even after several re-writes.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby Jox on 19 Sep 2010, 10:10

Actually I think he'll be taking a detour bu Australia where he'll do some stuff for SKIN TRADE with his aussie DP.

Lionsgate is only the domestic and UK distributor, they're not responsible for producing or geenlighting it (though this time they might act as investors/co-executive producers).

TE2 is not greenlit yet and the greenlight process has heavy requirements, it's not just about "yeah Sly let's make a sequel here's a $100 million for ya, go play with it"...

Every blockbuster in the past few years had sequel hype upon their release but they didn't shoot them right away...

Moreover if he gets such a crazy cast, this is gonna be a headache to schedule and organize.

So Dolph's gonna plenty of time to make SKIN TRADE, he's been working on it for a good while so he's well advanced.

The question is more like what's gonna happen with UNIVERSAL SOLDIER IV.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 19 Sep 2010, 21:51

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=69713

Towards the end of the article is this quote...

When questioned as to what Sylvester Stallone may have planned for the sequel to the surprise summer hit The Expendables (which will probably be Lionsgate's second highest-grossing movie of all time very soon), we got a minor update. "I saw Avi Lerner this morning, who deserves all the credit for it," Iwanyk responded. "He really went on the line for the movie. He told me, 'We're doing a sequel, we're doing it right away.' I haven't talked to Sly at all about what's going to happen in the sequel. It's going to rock and you can just imagine in your head who will be in that cast in addition to the people who are there now. But I'm not sure. There's a lot of excitement and I know that Avi and Sly want to go at it as soon as possible."
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby Jox on 19 Sep 2010, 22:00

Remember that both Sly and Lerner are both known for saying things to get people excited but you shouldn't always take their words for it (as in this business in general).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 19 Sep 2010, 23:18

I'd agree with that on principle Jox, but with the current state of the movie industry whenever you have a good thing going you ride it. My uncle has been in the biz his whole life and he's told me that the industry is more afraid then ever to back original productions and Lerner went out on a huge limb for Sly to get TE a major theatrical release.

I won't argue that it will take time to greenlight the sequel considering all the variables like getting the old cast signed on again and new action stars and a reasonable budget in place (probably 10-20 mill more than the original). But, make no mistake Lionsgate will want to ride this wave as soon and as long as possible... this could end up being a major franchise for them... and you have to figure that a sequel will be marketed with a lot more savy and hype.

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but if they line up Bruce and Arnie to actually play major roles in this next film and grab a new lineup of guys with JCVD maybe Seagal or another 2-3 big named guys the sequel could easily be a huge blockbuster... maybe opening in the 50-60 mill range (obviously thats speculation on my part). Dolph could end up with a bigger role in the sequel and come out looking like a genius for signing onto the initial project so quickly... could end up being the best career move he's ever made in the long term.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby Jox on 19 Sep 2010, 23:33

Oh for sure!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 19 Sep 2010, 23:49

Jox wrote:The question is more like what's gonna happen with UNIVERSAL SOLDIER IV.

Agreed. Seems like we were hearing October as a start date of filming on this but that's obviously not gonna happen now. Wonder if they're still negotiating with Dolph/Van Damme or what but it's likely now that it won't film until next year.

As for EXPENDABLES 2, I'm sure it will happen but the earliest I could see it filming would be next summer. And that's the earliest. Plenty of time for Lundgren to not have to rush his way through SKIN TRADE.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 20 Sep 2010, 01:16

Why do you think next summer Molti? Just curious. My guess is they'd want someone around a summer '12 release wouldn't you think?
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby Kasper F. Nielsen on 20 Sep 2010, 02:53

If they shot late spring/early summer, there would be time for a summer '12 release.

However I doubt the movie will be ready for a summer '12 release, or for that matter shoot during next summer (ok that might happen, but it would really need to be fast-tracked for that). Because while the theatrical run has been good, especially for an R-rated movie, it hasn't been Transformers-great or Pirate of the Caribbean-great, which probably means that the movie also needs to do strong or at least decent on the rental and dvd market to get a sequel. A good theatrical run isn't everything these days.
Kasper F. Nielsen

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 20 Sep 2010, 03:11

For Lionsgate the theatrical run has been huge because they aren't considered a heavyweight such as Warner or 20th Century. I would think they'd want to start moving on this asap due to the goodwill the movie has garnered. Most people who went and saw TE accepted it and liked it for what it was... there wasn't much backlash from audiences on the cheese factor... I think we all knew it was going to be there.

The DVD/Rental income will be a factor, but this was a homerun for Lionsgate and my gut feeling is we'll be seeing a TE2 sooner than we all think. For Sly this is almost as big as Rocky in terms of unexpected results... you can tell he's almost overwhelmed by how well the movie was received. Unlike his return to the big screen with Rocky/Rambo this was a completely original and unique concept.

I don't think the industry was expecting the movie to do as well. Stallone has already stated several times he has his idea for the sequel pretty much thought out. All of this is pretty much conjecture on my part, but I have a pretty good feeling on this franchise and it's future.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby Moltisanti on 20 Sep 2010, 03:55

GeneralMcFaiL wrote:Why do you think next summer Molti? Just curious. My guess is they'd want someone around a summer '12 release wouldn't you think?

Like you I'm thinking Lionsgate would want a sequel for summer 2012. Typically for theatrical films they start shooting about a year before their release. That can get even longer when you're talking about movies that need a lot of post-production effects, but an EXPENDABLES sequel isn't the sort of flick that would use a lot of CGI (hopefully it will use even less than the original).

So based on that I'm guessing it would film in summer 2011.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Tom on 20 Sep 2010, 11:29

I think Lerner and co, will be safely assuming that the DVD numbers will be huge. Given the DVD track records of the main cast, it's highly likely to make a hell of a lot.
Tom
Regular

Next

Return to Dolph's Movies