THE EXPENDABLES 3 (Patrick Hughes, 2014)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE EXPENDABLES 3 (????)

Postby bomaz on 16 Aug 2012, 15:28

Olivier Gruner and Wesley Snipes will make me happy (if a Donnie Yen or a Jackie Chan pops his head, I'll be okay ;) )
bomaz

Postby Tom on 16 Aug 2012, 15:39

I'd love to see Statham vs Snipes in the next one. I think they could have a really epic fight. I'd also like to see Jet Li back again to hang with Dolph. It's pretty brief as Jet is only in the first action scene, but they have quite a good chemistry.

Seagal
Clint
Michael Biehn
Rutger Hauer

I'd love to see a few B movie stars but actually I don't see that happening, and in any case, Don The Dragon Wilson is working on his own STV version of The Expendables, The B Team.
http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2012/08/w ... s-its.html
He wants as many b-z action movie stars as possible to be involved as possible including Rothrock, Dudikoff, Dacascos, Jai White, Norton, Avedon, Speakman and more. I can't wait for that one either. Should be epic.
Tom
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 17 Aug 2012, 00:02

Tom wrote: Don The Dragon Wilson is working on his own STV version of The Expendables, The B Team.
http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2012/08/w ... s-its.html
He wants as many b-z action movie stars as possible to be involved as possible including Rothrock, Dudikoff, Dacascos, Jai White, Norton, Avedon, Speakman and more. I can't wait for that one either. Should be epic.

Rothrock, Dacasos? Nice!

Also good to see that you mention Rutger Hauer. As a major protagonist in my all time favorite, The Blade Runner, and a really scary psycho in The Hitcher he was one of my favorite actors of the time. Ladyhawke... also great, totally different. Too bad that his success has faded as it did for so many others.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 17 Aug 2012, 12:14

Yeah Rutgers always been one my favourite actors. Blade Runners also my all-time favourite film and he's my favourite in it. Love Hitcher and he was also really good in Nighthawks. I guess Hauer was hard to cast and he didn't want to be type cast as a bad guy all the time either. Blind Fury was also awesome. Love that film.
Tom
Regular

Postby Nathan on 17 Aug 2012, 15:29

Feels like it's so early to be talking about this. I think this movie basically needs three elements to succeed; Stallone needs to reprise the lead role, no matter what people say, he knows how to carry a movie. They need to get Arnie and Bruce PLUS a couple more impressive names as Chuck and Van Damme are not likely to return. And lastly, the third in the franchise is often plagued with issues of misjudgement - look at Terminator 3, Rambo III that ended up being too over the top and trying to better the last. I'm not being sarcastic here, TE is not all about the action so it's important they don't go overboard. More character development wouldn't go a miss at all and I'm gonna put this out there; TE3 is likely to be the last installment unless daft producers make The Rock or something take the reigns for a reboot, so I feel that Dolph has to go bad AGAIN and fight Stallone. That for me would be my sort of "paths to go" for the sequel. TE2 is a lot to live up to because it's just sort of "the ultimate" if you get what I mean, it's difficult to go one better again. TE felt like a warm-up, TE2 is what TE should have been, but that's not a bad thing because I still hold TE dear and think they did a great job, but TE3 needs to excel everywhere. TE2 improved, TE3 needs to perfect.
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Tom on 17 Aug 2012, 15:39

For me they'll struggle to do the same tone of film as 2 in 3. I think it'll need more than homaging because they've been there and done that now. A good script will be essential otherwise the film won't make enough and the franchise will grind to a holt.
I'd love it if they got Shane Black to write it. He's one of the best action film writers there's been. It'd be great. They can have West direct again, or Black himself. They need to make the Expendables more fallable too and start killing a few off. More threat. I loved JC in Exp 2 but he needed more screentime IMO. So they need to invest enough time for the villain and craft him better. Wesley would be brilliant.
Tom
Regular

Postby Nathan on 17 Aug 2012, 15:59

Tom wrote:For me they'll struggle to do the same tone of film as 2 in 3. I think it'll need more than homaging because they've been there and done that now. A good script will be essential otherwise the film won't make enough and the franchise will grind to a holt.
I'd love it if they got Shane Black to write it. He's one of the best action film writers there's been. It'd be great. They can have West direct again, or Black himself. They need to make the Expendables more fallable too and start killing a few off. More threat. I loved JC in Exp 2 but he needed more screentime IMO. So they need to invest enough time for the villain and craft him better. Wesley would be brilliant.

Yeah it was sorta like an action stars day out in TE2, if TE3 is the concluding part, they need to start being reckless. Lots of twists, a really formidable villain - Travolta would be a good heavy but maybe not a fighting one, Stallone needs a good opponent and that's why I vote Dolph. No kidding, I would kill Randy, Li, (if he returns), Dolph and Stallone at the end.
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 17 Aug 2012, 17:24

That would be wicked to get Dolph and Sly got at it again but I wouldn't count it, that said making Gunnar go really nuts again has good chances.

Dolph even expressed the wish of some stronger issues for Gunnar, would he return...
I'd kinda like for him maybe to have some emotional experience with something a little more dramatic to happen to him, a little bit like in the first one. That could be kind of fun.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 17 Aug 2012, 22:33

I'd love Dolph vs Sly again. I don't see Sly taking Gunnar down that road again though. I think he'll stay good, but perhaps with a dash of some darker drama again maybe.
Plus with all the names bandied around for the next, including rumours of Van Damme returning, I think by the time casting is finished, the villain roles will all be taken.
Maybe if Jai White is cast as the villains number 2, I think he and Dolph could have a great fight.
Tom
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 18 Aug 2012, 00:58

By the way, I think all of the cast is really great but if Sly keeps adding new old action icons (which would be fantastic) he needs to kill off more than one Expendable. Otherwise it would turn into a string of cameos. Ensemble is great but not with 30 people.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 21 Aug 2012, 12:36

Chuck Norris says he won't be in EX3 (he was already the toughest to convince to do EX2 according to Avi Lerner).
http://watch.accesshollywood.com/video/ ... 5505187001
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 24 Aug 2012, 22:51

khurram112 wrote:Yes they should kill Couture. Jet Li probably wont return and chuck Norris is not joining either. They should also leave Willis and have new (I mean old) action heroes join. Mark Dacascos could be a great team member and Rutger Hauer can also work as a good guy. Clint Eastwood could have a small appearance. I would also love to see Dolph have a fight with Kevin Nash or Nathan Jones. Staham can have a cool fight with either Tony Jaa or Mark Dacascos. Sly can also fight Thomas Ian Griffith.

I like Couture and knowing that he can really fight. I haven't seen Ex2 yet but from the last one I'd say lose Willis, Li and... hm... then it's difficult.

I agree, Dacascos would be great and Clint should be some kind of Bad Guy Overlord. Chuck Norris might have all the jokes about him but Clint is tougher because he can do silent menace like no other.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 21 Sep 2012, 15:12

Clint Eastwood talks EX3 (at 4:55mins), he hasn't been approached yet nor has he received any material to read
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 22 Sep 2012, 00:05

Love Clint, such a legend and always really great to watch in interviews, enjoyed this one. That said, you know it's a bad day when they construct an article based on an actor who hasn't seen previous movies, hasn't been approached, hasn't read any material and can't actually answer the question with a yes or no. Does that define news nowadays? No wonder so many online rumours get out of control.
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 22 Sep 2012, 00:13

Unfortunately yes, and THE EXPENDABLES has been victim of this since the first one. I would hate to be a genuine journalist nowadays because internet is ruining the craft and reputation of real journalism...
Jox
Site Admin

Next

Return to Dolph's Movies