Fitness

Feel free to discuss everything not related to Dolph. Have a good time and be friendly!

Moderator: Moderators

Fitness

Postby whiteandblank on 14 Feb 2012, 16:20

As we all know the Dolph is noted for his physique and fitness, so being a fan (and totally out of shape, and getting old) I thought I would give getting fit a go. So I started a run last night, downloaded an app on my iphone which measures distance, time etc.

Oh God, I am totally ******. Lonnnnnnnnnnnng way to go. I ran 2.73 miles. Well, use the term run very loosley!

WIll keep this thread updated if anyone is interested, and please feel free to help out by recommened articles, advice etc, or laughing
Is there an off switch to your mouth?
whiteandblank
Member
 
Posts: 270
Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 00:18
Location: UK

Re: Fitness

Postby Mosquito on 15 Feb 2012, 00:59

For now I can just say: Hang in there! I personally don't like running, I prefer strength and flexibility exercizes on the gymnastics mat. But the important thing is to do anything at all. Due to a new, very time consuming hobby I've stopped doing exercises. Shame on me. But at least I train my brain. A lot. ;)
User avatar
Mosquito
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2101
Joined: 08 Nov 2003, 18:23

Re: Fitness

Postby whiteandblank on 18 Feb 2012, 22:49

thanks for your kind words
although i haven't been since and I have had a shit time at work, very shit in fact
Is there an off switch to your mouth?
whiteandblank
Member
 
Posts: 270
Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 00:18
Location: UK

Re: Fitness

Postby Mosquito on 19 Feb 2012, 00:19

Well, that's a good reason to go for a run! The longest run I had was a couple of years ago when I was *so* angry that it was really unusual even for me. ;-) And what can I say? After running for an hour at a freezing temperature I felt much better. So if you had a shitty time at work grab your training shoes and run away from the trouble! Flood your body with endorphines!
User avatar
Mosquito
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2101
Joined: 08 Nov 2003, 18:23

Re: Fitness

Postby dolphage on 19 Feb 2012, 21:58

My suggestion is to create a homework routine that you can do, whenever, wherever you want to. I've done, only that, for years and after reading Dolphs fitness book I found out that he has one of those routines aswell, as a backup. It fits people who can't always/don't want to spare two hours to go to a gym and work out.

A mix of body weight exersises, self resistance, static holds, etc, done in a circiuit (for added cardiovascular effect) will do the trick.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodyweight_exercise

For the cardio; HIIT (High intensity intervall training) has proven more efficient than long running sessions. And less harmfull to the body, long term. I. personally don't do any cardio outside of my home workouts, but if you like it then go ahead.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-inten ... l_training

Just my 2 cents.
Spring, era jävlar!
User avatar
dolphage
Regular
 
Posts: 1201
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 16:05
Location: Spain

Re: Fitness

Postby whiteandblank on 19 Feb 2012, 22:08

Thanks for that, I will check it out. Eventually, I do want to join a gym, but at this moment money is tight and Im pretty stressed at work.
Is there an off switch to your mouth?
whiteandblank
Member
 
Posts: 270
Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 00:18
Location: UK

Re: Fitness

Postby dolphage on 19 Feb 2012, 22:31

Anecdotal information; I have only done one hour a week, split into two different days for about four years. I'm not in INSANE shape, but I do allright for the amount of time I put into it. IMO.

A little workout puts you in a better mode at work too. Well, "little"... SHORT but very INTENSE. Intense enought to release endorphins and give you that "runner's high" that The Mighty, Morphin' Mosque (Mosquito) was talking about.

I think that the gym is too big an undertaking to start off with for an adult with a time consuming job and maybe a family and whatever else. I'm telling you; if you start with a homworkout system and get that going you will never have an excuse not to work out. In fact in "Fit Forever" Dolph even calls it the "No Excuses" program.

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time at work. Sucks.
Spring, era jävlar!
User avatar
dolphage
Regular
 
Posts: 1201
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 16:05
Location: Spain

Re: Fitness

Postby Mosquito on 22 Feb 2012, 01:12

dolphage wrote:I think that the gym is too big an undertaking to start off with for an adult with a time consuming job and maybe a family and whatever else.


Indeed. I used to hit the gym frequently a couple of days per week and I loved it. But now it just doesn't fit into my schedule. Also, the good gyms aren't cheap. And if you're not on a high training level you can do most exercises at home without any machines or gadgets. Working against your own body weight is perfectly ok for a long time, IMHO. All I own is a mat, a pair of dumbbells and a gymnastics rubber band which is a nice means to increase the intensity of some exercises. You don't necessarily need a mat if you have a carpet, you can replace dumbbells with water bottles and you don't need that rubber band. So you can start right away.

Check this one out, I love it and also tried some other routines from that user:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkKCVCZe474

Does not require any money, gear or more than 10 minutes of your time. It shouldn't be the only routine though since it focuses just on the abs. I usually do hip extensions afterwards... to the sound of "Gonna Fly Now". ;-)

Ok. I'll do it tomorrow morning before breakfast again. Ask me tomorrow if I did it. I need some social pressure. :mrgreen:
User avatar
Mosquito
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2101
Joined: 08 Nov 2003, 18:23

Re: Fitness

Postby dolphage on 22 Feb 2012, 15:31

Mosquito wrote:Ok. I'll do it tomorrow morning before breakfast again. Ask me tomorrow if I did it. I need some social pressure. :mrgreen:

Did you do it?

I am not a fan of working out before breakfast. Having said that, I went jogging almost every morning this past summer before eating/going to work. But I hated every second of it...

That's a good program for the abs there. Personally, I avoid some of the more extreme exersises in there because of the strain it puts on the lower back.

All that equipment is helpful, but not necessary. I personally don't use ANY equipment, but it doesn't hurt to have it.
Spring, era jävlar!
User avatar
dolphage
Regular
 
Posts: 1201
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 16:05
Location: Spain

Re: Fitness

Postby Mosquito on 22 Feb 2012, 21:08

dolphage wrote:Did you do it?


Yes I did, although after breakfast (got up too late). And I got another mini workout later because I had a First Aid refresher training and had to perform CPR. ;)

I am not a fan of working out before breakfast. Having said that, I went jogging almost every morning this past summer before eating/going to work. But I hated every second of it...


I tried jogging and I don't like it. But a quick exercise before breakfast and after the first cup of tea is nice. Training with an empty stomach feels easier and it's not such a hard training that I get a critical level of low blood sugar. I'm not sure but as I recall Dolph even recommended it in Maximum Potential.

That's a good program for the abs there. Personally, I avoid some of the more extreme exersises in there because of the strain it puts on the lower back.

Well, you can choose the level of intensity by not lifting the shoulders as much as they do in the vid. Today my performance was pretty lame because it was the first attempt after a couple of months doing absolutely nothing. So practically restart from the beginning. And I never managed to get the last set right even when I was ready for the level 2 video. But the others are nice.
User avatar
Mosquito
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2101
Joined: 08 Nov 2003, 18:23

Re: Fitness

Postby dolphage on 23 Feb 2012, 20:52

Mosquito wrote:
Yes I did, although after breakfast (got up too late). And I got another mini workout later because I had a First Aid refresher training and had to perform CPR. ;)

Good going!
Mosquito wrote:But a quick exercise before breakfast and after the first cup of tea is nice....I'm not sure but as I recall Dolph even recommended it in Maximum Potential.

Absolutely, it's widely recommended for fat loss, boosts your metabolism all through the day, however you get the most out of any work out and especially strenght training in the afternoon. You can train harder then.
Mosquito wrote:Well, you can choose the level of intensity by not lifting the shoulders as much as they do in the vid.

Yeah, I have back problems from when I used to lift heavy so situps are tricky, in fact it is recommended to not do too many sit ups in general because it can be bad for anyone's back in the long run. As you say, limiting the range of motion is a good idea.
Spring, era jävlar!
User avatar
dolphage
Regular
 
Posts: 1201
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 16:05
Location: Spain

Re: Fitness

Postby whiteandblank on 09 Sep 2012, 17:34

I am about to start again, after 7 months off haha, no I think its time, I feel ready to put a shift in, I offically joined the gym Friday (had to do a crappy induction thing) but I start Monday! I think I will try early in the morning
Is there an off switch to your mouth?
whiteandblank
Member
 
Posts: 270
Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 00:18
Location: UK

Re: Fitness

Postby Mosquito on 10 Sep 2012, 00:08

Great to hear! Wish you much fun and of course success! I was really good with my daily morning routine for a while but am pausing due to an infection and then a few stressful days but I really have to pick that up again. It was good and I felt the success almost instantly.
User avatar
Mosquito
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2101
Joined: 08 Nov 2003, 18:23

Re: Fitness

Postby whiteandblank on 10 Sep 2012, 11:55

I was up at 5 am, into the gym at 6:45 and now im at work, and feeling quite sore. I got a long long way to go. I also changed gyms, the last one was pretty crap.


Keep going mos, you will do fine! Just put on the Rocky videos for motivation!
Is there an off switch to your mouth?
whiteandblank
Member
 
Posts: 270
Joined: 03 Oct 2011, 00:18
Location: UK

Re: Fitness

Postby dolphage on 10 Sep 2012, 12:11

whiteandblank wrote:I was up at 5 am, into the gym at 6:45 and now im at work, and feeling quite sore.

5 am?! I didn't know there was a 5 am, I assumed the day started at around 9am...

Sounds tough, hope you're able to stay with it.

Mosquito wrote:I was really good with my daily morning routine for a while but am pausing due to an infection and then a few stressful days but I really have to pick that up again.

Yeah, that happens to me to, but at least you're doing the home workouts, right? So you can get going a bit easier after a period of not working out.
Spring, era jävlar!
User avatar
dolphage
Regular
 
Posts: 1201
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 16:05
Location: Spain

Next

Return to Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest