Winner of the Eliason Merit Award 2012

This is a free-for-all discussion area, with no set topic, just anything & everything DOLPH!

Moderator: Moderators

Winner of the Eliason Merit Award 2012

Postby Jox on 05 Nov 2012, 01:34

We are proud to announce that this year’s Eliason Merit Award goes to the world famous Swedish movie star and action hero Dolph Lundgren, star of “The Expendables 2,” “Rocky IV” and the James Bond feature “A View to a Kill” to mention a few. Don´t miss Eliason Merit Award 2012!
@Dolph_fans, #EliasonMeritAward

https://www.facebook.com/sacc.gla

The Eliason Merit Award is an exclusive red carpet event honoring Swedes that have contributed significantly towards strengthening the Swedish-Amerian relations.

http://www.sacc-la.org/?page_id=4363
Jox
Site Admin

Re: Eliason Merit Award 2012 winner

Postby Jox on 20 Nov 2012, 11:45

http://www.screendaily.com/awards/other ... 74.article
Dolph Lundgren to receive Swedish-American honour
19 November, 2012 | By Jeremy Kay

The veteran action star will collect the 2012 Eliason Merit Award at a ceremony on Nov 30 in Los Angeles.

The annual award honors Swedes who have “contributed towards strengthening Swedish-American relations in the areas of commerce, culture, science and art.”

“The 2012 award winner came out of a unanimous decision,” said producer and president of the Swedish-American Chamber of Commerce Of Los Angeles Gudrun Giddings.

“Dolph Lundgren has not only shown the Swedish talent expertise in Hollywood, but has also inspired younger generations to work hard to fulfill their dreams. It’s an honour to present this award to such a well deserved and skilled actor and director as Dolph.”

“Many talented Swedish actors and filmmakers have created success stories in Hollywood, from Great Garbo to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo,” said Lundgren.

“It’s truly an honour to be acknowledged as an ambassador for Sweden to Hollywood. I look forward to strengthening the connections between the film industry in our two beautiful countries.”

Lundgren burst on to the scene in the 1985 James Bond film A View To A Kill and went on to star in such hits as Rocky IV and The Expendables and Universal Soldier franchises.
Jox
Site Admin

Re: Winner of the Eliason Merit Award 2012

Postby dolphage on 20 Nov 2012, 14:09

"Great Garbo"?! Haha. Sounds like a professional wrestler name. I think it's supposed to be Greta Garbo.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 23 Nov 2012, 21:04

http://www.cineuropa.org/nw.aspx?t=news ... did=229575

This is a public event for those in LA who want to attend by the way (but it's a $150 three courses dinner)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 25 Nov 2012, 22:57

Can't wait for the pics. Dolph as The Great Gatsby or something? ;) I love the Twenties styling!
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 29 Nov 2012, 13:51

Sylvester Stallone, Alexander Skarsgard, Malin Akerman, Peter Stormare and Izabella Scorupco will attend. I assume Sly will be the one giving the award to Dolph, which is pretty cool and how it should be...

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 01 Dec 2012, 14:09

Since I got the opportunity to write a tribute for the print program of the evening, I'd like to share it with you:
I have no words, or I have too many, that would do justice to speak about the multifaceted and unique Dolph Lundgren. It's a great pleasure and honor for me to pay a tribute and celebrate an underrated man who's inspiration has been influential and instrumental for me and my professional career. It's daunting because I've had the utter respect for the action icon in the past 25 years, following his career closely since I was a preadolescent, and have come be acquainted with the man on a personal and professional level for nearly 5 years.

Dolph Lundgren has been a role model, not just because of his “action man” persona, but because I perceived reserved, humble, sensitive personality behind his body armor, that I could both identify with. A man of few -but counting- words, his modesty and simple personality contrasts with his bigger-than-life looks and the macho attributes he's mostly regarded for. I also had a glimpse of what more he had to offer, and wanted to support him to break through typecasting.

In nearly three decades of hard work in the film industry as an actor and a director, Dolph has been admirable in building a strong career despite the highs and lows, without buying into the dark side of show-business, its success obsession or its glamour and glitter. He kept playing his own game and took the time to understand who he is, even at the risk of not always taking the best decisions business-wise.

Like a 16th century Japanese samurai, Dolph Lundgren's way of life goes beyond body and health, cultivating the mind and spirit with an uncanny interest for the world at large. The combination of his academic scientific background, his musical skills, martial arts expertise, and an uncanny interest for history and politics make him a complex personality that goes beyond the realm of film and show-business. Dolph is man of curiosity who's constantly willing to learn, valuing knowledge, skills and human connections, treating everybody with respect no matter who they are, and leaving a trail of friends around the globe behind every project. A simple grounded humble man who enjoys the simple pleasures of life, in the company of close friends and family.

Having spent about half of his life in Sweden and half of it in the United States, Dolph has shown gratitude to his country of adoption while remaining attached to his Swedish roots and values, true and faithful to who he his as a person, not as a just Hollywood star. May this be the first of many Awards to a man who embodies the Swedish/American cultures and whose best is yet to come!

CONGRATULATIONS, DOLPH! GRATTIS! SKOL!

- Jeremie Damoiseau, Paris, November 2012

I see the evening was sold out, great!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Mosquito on 02 Dec 2012, 01:02

Wow. It's wonderful, honestly. Love it.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 02 Dec 2012, 02:58

Awesome! Great work, buddy!
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 02 Dec 2012, 12:33

THANK YOU BOTH, REALLY!

I can tell you the organizers genuinely wanted to throw Dolph a great evening and make this Award more serious than a mere cheesy Hollywood honorific thing and beyond just his film career.
By the way he's got a couple of small Awards in Europe in the past 5 years but, apart for the Guiness record one he got with Sly for ROCKY IV at the 2010 SDCC, I guess this is his first real Award from America and in Los Angeles.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 02 Dec 2012, 19:43

I see none of the big names from the guest list in those photos, so are we to assume that Stallone and the other stars didn't show up?
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby bomaz on 02 Dec 2012, 21:21

Wow, the "DJing" was made by Lykke Li. Funny enough, I'll take care of her concert in my town next year :)
bomaz

Postby Jox on 03 Dec 2012, 00:24

I hear the evening was a great success and Dolph very happy and touched! Must feel nice to be really acknowledged and recognized by your peers once in a while...
Jox
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion