THE PACKAGE (Jesse V. Johnson, 2012)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE PACKAGE (Jesse V. Johnson, 2012)

Postby dolphage on 21 Feb 2013, 12:47

That, to me, is the best review yet. It is almost exactly how I felt about the movie. It even picks up on the ridiculous part where two welders produce a backdrop of sparks and, for some reason. a strobe light effect throughout one of the fights. Wildly stupid.

But my conclusion is a little bit different; I forgive a lot of the low rent cheapness because it's a low budget action movie. I think it's an OK movie with a great performance by Dolph.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Tom on 21 Feb 2013, 13:34

I didn't enjoy this one as much as I thought on first viewing to be honest. It wasn't as action packed as initially I'd have thought (having seen the script) and I just couldn't buy Stone Cold in the lead. For me he's more henchman material. He should be an antagonist. Dolph is brilliant as normal. But in terms of brilliant Dolph villains of late, I think that One In The Chamber was just a bit more polished. There was a bit more time and money (it seemed) given to it.
That said, I dug the old school violence in this film, which on the big screen is so rare now. Also in retrospect I think that Johnson does a fantastic job on a film shot in 16 days. It does feel rushed somewhat, but that's because it is.
And it's still better than Die Hard 5. It's got a kind of 80's action film goofiness too that works well.
I do think I'll enjoy this one more second time around though having said that. Just think from the script and also the early reviews my expectations were probably a little high. I'm also looking forward to seeing it on BR, instead of my screener DVD because it'll just give more clarity to it. I don't really like films shot in HD because it mostly looks cheap but if you're gonna watch one, it's best to in HD as well. Maybe if they'd shot it 2.35 it would have looked a bit more polished too, as opposed to 1.78.

As for The Wolf vs The German...tough call, but the Wolf for me by a whisker. I think it was the hat that wins it! :D
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 21 Feb 2013, 17:01

I don't know they're two very different beasts with two very different roles actually.

I'm rooting for THE PACKAGE for now, both in terms of the film (more likable and less boring though not much more ambitious) and the character (OITC's "Wolf" was fun but the German is a role that D has never done before, it has something more interesting and tragic that gives you a glimpse of what an awesome actor Dolph could become in his old days). Will see how these two stand with time.

That said I'm not saying it's without flaws which surely has to do with its short 3 weeks schedule...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 21 Feb 2013, 18:32

Jox wrote:I don't know they're two very different beasts with two very different roles actually.

I'm rooting for THE PACKAGE for now, both in terms of the film (more likable and less boring though not much more ambitious) and the character (OITC's "Wolf" was fun but the German is a role that D has never done before, it has something more interesting and tragic that gives you a glimpse of what an awesome actor Dolph could become in his old days). Will see how these two stand with time.

That said I'm not saying it's without flaws which surely has to do with its short 3 weeks schedule...

Yeah. I do think in the long run I'll probably end up watching The Package more times than OITC. For all that Austin seems a little mis-cast He's still a tough guy and has the necessary presence in that sort of role that Cuba doesn't.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 21 Feb 2013, 21:34

Jesse Johnson and Steve Austin at Friday screening with Q&A
(photo courtesy of Jesse Johnson)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 25 Feb 2013, 12:13

This one is definitely fun. It’s a shame Dolph Lundgren isn’t a bigger star today instead of being relegated to the purgatory that is the DTV shelf in whatever Blockbuster is going to be closed soon.
Dolph is still awesome though.

http://veryaware.com/2013/02/blu-ray-re ... e-package/

Dolph, much like ONE IN THE CHAMBER, has a smaller role but some great character quirks and neat little speeches about antioxidants and the proper martini. He's aged beautifully as well with the weathered granite features and deep commanding voice of the European badass in imposing middle age. Ivan Drago at 50.

Director Jesse V. Johnson deserves credit for crafting a strong old school style action flick that blends intense gunplay, fisticuffs and extreme fighting style hand-to-hand combat expertly without getting bogged down in a lot of hyper-stylized John Woo worship. There's also enough variety here to avoid boredom and the film has nice pacing. This one is a lot of fun, especially for the action crowd.

Video/Audio/Extras:

Anchor Bay delivers an AVC encoded 1.78.1 1080p transfer with impressive texture and background imagery, nice inky black levels and no obvious digital tinkering. This is a strong transfer visually - facial detail in particular is excellent. The color pallet is a bit muted but that is really a byproduct of where the location shooting was mostly done (British Columbia).

Audio wise the Dolby True HD 5.1 track (with optional English and Spanish SDH subs for those that need them) is perfectly suited to the film: it's a brash and aggressive mix with some cool surround action for the gunshots and racing cars. LFE is both robust and properly balanced - as is the overall sound mix. Dialog is strong and clear and never drowned out. Extras? Zilch - not even a trailer. You do get a DVD of the film though in addition to the Blu Ray.

The Final Word:

How about two? Hell and yeah. This one is action comfort food in the best possible way. It won't win any originality awards and it won't make you think much but it will entertain you quite handily. Dolph continues to be one of the best in the action business and Austin is both likable and skilled at this sort of material. Well-shot and directed with thrilling action sequences THE PACKAGE is recommended.

http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/cont ... HE-PACKAGE
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 26 Feb 2013, 01:26

Not a bad film. Even though they are supporting roles, at least Dolph is able to bring something unique to each role.

Nice little twist at the end, even if it felt a little tacked on. One of my complaints with many of these dtv action flicks. Five or so weeks of shooting time really doesn't lend to the most solid story. As long as there's plenty of fist fights, shootouts, and explosions though...

I was curious as to why Dolph looked so old in some of the production stills that were released earlier, but after watching the film, it's clear that it was a clever makeup job done to help explain his character's "sickness"... Not the greatest film, but another memorable supporting role from D.
savagesketch

Postby dolphage on 26 Feb 2013, 13:01

From that review:
Conclusion:
The Package stars Stone Cold Steve Austin and Dolph Lundgren. Whatever reaction you have to that statement is whether or not you should see it.

That's brilliant!
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 27 Feb 2013, 15:37

A tad off topic but after THE PACKAGE Jesse Johnson shot a WONDER WOMAN concept trailer (to pursue "studio" work): http://latino-review.com/2013/02/26/exc ... rt-film-ww
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 02 Mar 2013, 00:30

THE PACKAGE is ranked #20 in DVD sales for its first 5 days.
(Doesn't show up for top rentals or Blu-ray sales.)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 02 Mar 2013, 01:37

Jox wrote:THE PACKAGE is ranked #20 in DVD sales for its first 5 days.
(Doesn't show up for top rentals or Blu-ray sales.)

I expect it to chart quite well in the UK too.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 02 Mar 2013, 15:47

I hear US: DOR is doing good in the UK...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 04 Mar 2013, 16:13

http://upcomingdiscs.com/2013/02/28/the ... more-22878

Tom's review
http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/03/d ... -2012.html

You'll have to explain to me the Flickering Myth differentiation between "film" and "movie":
Flickering Myth Rating - Film: ★ ★ / Movie: ★ ★ ★
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies