THE PACKAGE (Jesse V. Johnson, 2012)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE PACKAGE (Jesse V. Johnson, 2012)

Postby Tom on 04 Mar 2013, 23:37

Jox wrote:http://upcomingdiscs.com/2013/02/28/the-package-blu-ray/#more-22878

Tom's review
http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/03/d ... -2012.html

You'll have to explain to me the Flickering Myth differentiation between "film" and "movie":
Flickering Myth Rating - Film: ★ ★ / Movie: ★ ★ ★

I'm not a fan of the rating system myself, but it was decided to implement it to do something a little more unique.
But basically, film is how it works on a technical standpoint, writing, acting, directing etc, and movie is more about how it works in terms of entertainment value.
Tom
Regular

Postby dolphage on 05 Mar 2013, 14:25

Really good review, Tom!

But, I'm with you on the "film" and "movie" debacle. Not a big fan. It's difficult to arbitrarily change the meanings of well known words. I'm not sure it's gonna catch on.

If there was an explanation next to the "film" and "movie" categories, on the page, then that might help.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 05 Mar 2013, 16:18

dolphage wrote:If there was an explanation next to the "film" and "movie" categories, on the page, then that might help.
Yeah otherwise it's just lame wanna be nerdiness which is what most movie sites aim at now...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 05 Mar 2013, 20:32

Jox wrote:
dolphage wrote:If there was an explanation next to the "film" and "movie" categories, on the page, then that might help.
Yeah otherwise it's just lame wanna be nerdiness which is what most movie sites aim at now...

A bit. It's very much a film student kind of distinction too. Movies should be rated in entirety as a whole. I think there is a reason why such a two pronged type of system hasn't been used before. Still, it was voted in so the majority of contributors (mostly ex or current, film students) wanted it.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 05 Mar 2013, 22:49

I understand the two assessments, technical and movie as a whole or for entertainment value, but what I don't agree with is "film" vs. "movie" distinction since both words designate essentially the same thing even though "movie" sounds less formal...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 06 Mar 2013, 00:45

Yeah, I mean it's a bit pretentious, and in that sense very "film school" to differentiate movie and film and have them as separate entities.
But hey, as long as they keep sending me Dolph screeners I don't mind!! :wink:
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 06 Mar 2013, 10:23

Tom wrote:But hey, as long as they keep sending me Dolph screeners I don't mind!! :wink:

:mrgreen:

http://boxofficebuz.com/news_full.php?id=6525
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Nathan on 06 Mar 2013, 16:11

I had fun with this one, it was pretty much exactly as I expected. Edited and directed well, very well considering the probably remarkably low budget. Give Jesse even 15 million and he could probably do something wild with it. One of the best parts was the shootout in the store that is depicted in the trailer and Lundgren's first action scene, where although he is quite noticeably doubled, gets to do more action in this than I anticipated. Since this is a D forum I will focus on his performance but first I'd like to say that Steve did a good job here, I like the guy, he has enough charisma to make him watchable and certainly from the perspective of a DTV actor he is always competent in his portrayal of the roles. I agree with Tom that his best was in The Expendables but I also think that with films like Hunt to Kill and The Package, he isn't given a massive amount to work with. Dolph on the other hand was just down right odd in this movie. I actually didn't want him to die, even although his character was probably the baddest he has portrayed. That said, none of his characters leave you feeling totally void of any sympathy, he's great at the tortured soul/monster type character. Here his performance was quite consistent but also somewhat engrossing in the sense of, what sort of guy is this character, it was definately some of his weirdest moments on screen. But yeah, I'd like to see him play even more unhinged in a bigger movie, maybe a Statham flick, (yeah, like that'll happen.) And as for the fight between D and Austin, hmm it was probably not as good as some of the others in the movie, but it was certainly violent and I am aware of the time restrictions. Looking forward to his upcoming fights with Randy Couture and...Vinnie Jones(?) But yeah great fun, no plot really haha, but certainly well paced and a neatly "packaged" movie all round...see what I did there...
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 13 Mar 2013, 15:47

http://www.mikefury.net/blog/2013/03/a- ... ction.html
Director Jesse V. Johnson has been a favourite on the DTV action scene for some time. With a background in stunts on some of the biggest Hollywood blockbusters, the man knows action inside out. But it wasn’t until he grabbed attention as a filmmaker - fashioning quality, lower-budget action-packed productions like Pit Fighter, The Last Sentinel, Alien Agent and the hugely impressive gangster story, Charlie Valentine, that audiences and festivals really took notice.

In his latest film, The Package (which also earned a limited Theatrical release in the US), he proves yet again that he’s a director with a great aptitude for action combined with the skill, vision and finesse to manage a solid, impressive movie at the same time. Plus, he has a great skill for featuring a top ensemble cast and offering a slightly different (and unexpected) platform for old-school stars and well-loved faces of the genre - bringing them back in fighting force (see Eric Roberts in The Butcher or Raymond J. Barry in Charlie Valentine). That’s not to mention regular supporting players like Steven Bauer, Jerry Trimble, Keith David, Dominiquie Vandenberg and others. It’s a very Tarantino-esque style and never disappoints.

The Package brings together an exciting cast of action veterans and rising stars including Dolph Lundgren, Steve Austin, Darren Shahlavi, Jerry Trimble and Monique Ganderton. It delivers a satisfyingly back-to-basics, stripped-down action fare which still manages to add something fresh to the mix (complete with sharp dialogue and colourful characters). Seeing a film like this delivered in strong form puts into perspective the importance of a great team and shows how well it really can be done. Action fans who haven’t yet seen the film should seek it out on Blu-ray or DVD as it’s highly recommended.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 25 Mar 2013, 13:40

Australian back cover
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 27 Mar 2013, 02:50

Great interview with Jesse Johnson (not as promo and generic as others)!
http://moviemorlocks.com/2013/03/26/dtv ... v-johnson/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby leigh1975 on 27 Mar 2013, 04:10

i thought he was pretty damn honest here...
leigh1975

Postby Tom on 27 Mar 2013, 14:50

Jox wrote:Great interview with Jesse Johnson (not as promo and generic as others)!
http://moviemorlocks.com/2013/03/26/dtv ... v-johnson/

Fantastic interview. Really interesting. I'd love to see JJ get a bigger film. He's one of a few directors, like Hyams and Reine (and Dolph for that matter) who really deserve it.
He knows his stuff. Most DTV directors are there simply to shoot something with as little fuss as possible and have little of their own vision.
Tom
Regular

Postby leigh1975 on 27 Mar 2013, 16:01

Ernie Barbarash is another one... I thought stuff like Hardwired and Cube Zero had a visual eye well above it's pay grade. Six Bullets is no slouch either. Roel Reine... He's okay. The Death Race sequels show how good he could be with a bigger film... his Seagal output, the other end of the spectrum.
leigh1975

Postby Tom on 27 Mar 2013, 18:10

I thought Pistol Whipped was Seagal's best in recent years to be honest. I enjoyed the Death Race sequels more than the original too.

Ernies pretty good. I actually thought Assassination Games was pretty decent. I didn't rate it first time round, but on second viewing I thought it was well made.
Cube Zero was very well made too, even if the film wasn't brilliant.
Tom
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies