SWEEPERS (Keoni Waxman, 1998)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: SWEEPERS (Keoni Waxman, 1998)

Postby dolphage on 05 May 2013, 10:44

Just to balance this out I will re-state my opinion on Sweepers; it's a really bad movie. Super boring. Bruce Payne does some of the worst acting anyone has ever done in a Dolph movie and that's quite an accomplishment.

I don't think that the nobility of an anti-landmine theme, or that they have a tall man-beast of a woman as the female lead, makes up for that fact that it's a bad movie.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 05 May 2013, 11:29

That still doesn't make it "unlikable" (and not that boring as far as I'm concerned). I'd rate it superiorly to BRIDGE OF DRAGONS for instance, also fun in its own way but really BAD if that's what we're talking about... And you can't say SWEEPERS is not Oscar material compared to THE MINION that was made just before. You can make fun of it all you want I wanna there's some ridiculous things in it but there's also far more efforts into doing something different and better than usual. So I keep the best of it rather than trashing it when there are so many that deserves a beating badly.
Jox
Site Admin

SWEEPERS (Keoni Waxman, 1998)

Postby Mosquito on 05 May 2013, 12:00

dolphage wrote:I don't think that the nobility of an anti-landmine theme, or that they have a tall man-beast of a woman as the female lead, makes up for that fact that it's a bad movie.

The fact that she's tall and can fight makes her a "man-beast" in your eyes? That's unfortunate.

Can't remember the name of that female bodybuilder-turned-actress with braids. Compare her to Claire.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 07 May 2013, 14:35

Jox wrote:You can make fun of it all you want I wanna there's some ridiculous things in it but there's also far more efforts into doing something different and better than usual.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree. Sweepers is obviously not as bad as Last Patrol but I still think it's one of those Dolph movies that I want to forget about.
Mosquito wrote:The fact that she's tall and can fight makes her a "man-beast" in your eyes? That's unfortunate.

Pretty much, but also her giant man-face adds to the horror. It's just not my thing. I like feminine women.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby Jox on 07 May 2013, 16:01

dolphage wrote:I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Of course I agree to disagree :lol: !
Jox
Site Admin

Postby ShawnWatson on 06 Nov 2013, 18:34

dolphage wrote:I don't think that the nobility of an anti-landmine theme, or that they have a tall man-beast of a woman as the female lead, makes up for that fact that it's a bad movie.

I looooove tall girls. They are the best. And Claire Stansfield is the only good thing about this utterly unwatchable piece of crap. :?
ShawnWatson

Postby Jox on 06 Nov 2013, 19:14

"Unwatchable", really?!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby ShawnWatson on 07 Nov 2013, 16:54

I paid $19.99 for this junk on DVD in June 2000. I sold it in 2004 on eBay for 0.01p.

It's worthless.
ShawnWatson

Postby dolphage on 07 Nov 2013, 19:16

I love it whenever we start debating Sweepers! It's the same arguments every couple of years but I alway enjoy it, for some reason.

Just to once again remind the community; I am with Shawn on this one. I think the movie is complete garbage.

But luckily everyone's taste is different.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

Postby hansson55 on 08 Nov 2013, 11:27

One of Dolphs best! Awsome movie!
¤¤¤ It’s from Sweden like me ¤¤¤
hansson55
Regular

Postby TEMIRLAN on 08 Nov 2013, 20:19

Not bad Dolph movie!
TEMIRLAN

Postby bomaz on 09 Nov 2013, 20:44

Wow. I didn't think the movie could product such reactions. "ITNOTK 2" or "Agent Red" wouldn't surprise me, but Sweepers ?
bomaz

Postby Jox on 09 Nov 2013, 21:00

Yeah it sure is clumsy at times notably because of its many re-edits and cuts, its original script THE HALO TRUST ("BLOOD DIAMOND" type) completely re-written to a half-and-half Nu Image run of the mill fest vs a more ambitious than usual action/adventure drama, but it's certainly not "unbearable" (especially now).

It's got good production value compared to half of Dolph's filmography, a nice exotic South African setting, a bad-ass cigar-smoking-hat-sporting Dolph, more action and explosions than most his DTVs (even if not shot or edited the best way because Danny Lerner was directing 2nd unit, but again not that bad either compared to others). We've now seen many that turned out much worse.

Some of you dig BRIDGE OF DRAGONS, I choose SWEEPERS as a guilty pleasure over it. (I know mu

I know quite a few of my fellow French fans ("we", supposedly frogs with intellectual tastes haha) are with me on this one: SWEEPERS rules, 'dolphage'!!! :mrgreen: :wink:
(funny we actually do take on SWEEPERS case every couple of years or so hahaha)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dolphage on 09 Nov 2013, 23:45

Jox wrote:SWEEPERS rules, 'dolphage'!!! :mrgreen: :wink:
(funny we actually do take on SWEEPERS case every couple of years or so hahaha)

Hahaha. It's amazing how polarizing this film is among Dolphamaniacs, we keep arguing our opinions of it every couple of years and we never get ANY closer to eachother's points of view!

To me Sweepers is very boring and whenever Bruce Payne shows up on screen it's internationally embarrassing how bad he is. It's a movie that's impossible to get into. I've tried. I honestly have.
Spring, era jävlar!
dolphage
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies