AMBUSHED (Giorgio Serafini, 2013)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: RUSH / AMBUSHED (Giorgio Serafini, 2013)

Postby dude hallenbeck on 15 Jan 2014, 13:00

Well, surprisingly this was actually ok, worth a passing grade at the very least (Assuming you'd consider 5/10 a pass). It's actually very well shot (With the exception of the awkwardly framed and shot fight scenes), the story's pretty simple but in a good way. Randy Couture was really good, Vinnie Jones looked like he was enjoying himself more than he was in BoR.

That said, it's not a particularly strong movie. For a 90-something minute runtime, the film really feels like it meanders a lot. The main character "Frank" isn't really a well written role, the film flips between him wanting to get out of crime and him turning into Scarface very inconsistently. Gianni Capaldi was beyond obnoxious with a weirdly overly ADRed Scottish accent. Unfortunately we follow those two for most of the film, leaving Vinnie Jones and Dolph with out much screen time. The movie sets up Vinnie Jones as the big bad, but forgets about him during the second act. Dolph's character is supposed to be the moral compass for the whole movie, which even in limited screen time they could get across, but the script really lets him down here, it's a very drab and boring role and I could tell he wasn't feeling it.

The chasm in quality between this and Blood of Redemtion is huge though. That movie was bland, terribly scripted and badly acted, and lacked the one thing Ambushed had plenty of; ambition.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Jox on 15 Jan 2014, 13:29

I think BLOOD OF REDEMPTION (which I didn't think was that bad, weak and soul-less for sure) was actually planned before this (Germans pre-licensed it back in Cannes 2012) and this was a last minute thing. I'm pretty sure Dolph's character (and possibly Randy's and Vinnie's) was not like that all in the originally because he was not attached to it (and it would have been a totally different film). Somehow producers and agents managed to get a deal done and attached him (because he could use a couple weeks worth of work) so the character was either added or punched out to fit Dolph. Hence the feel that you are watching two distinct movies most of the time...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 15 Jan 2014, 13:44

Yeah! I mean it's half rise and fall Scarface movie with "Frank" and "Eddie" and then follows D's Agent Maxwell trying to put Couture's character behind bars. That's probably the reason I felt this movie dragged though.

I was shocked to see Randy and Dolph get EP credits.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Jox on 15 Jan 2014, 13:55

dude hallenbeck wrote:I was shocked to see Randy and Dolph get EP credits.

Executive producer credit can often be given for nothing without actually acting as producer. It must be part of the deal the agent (same one for both) made. In a lot of cases like here I assume, a star gets the credit because their signing on the project unlocked funds/made the movie green-lit. It might grant them a few more $$$ too or some profit shares if the initial fee is low. Dolph had quite a few of those credits recently (STASH HOUSE, BATTLE OF THE DAMNED, this and CERTAIN JUSTICE).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 16 Jan 2014, 01:36

I learn something new everytime you post! I knew that sometimes actors get EP credits because they make significant changes to the script.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Jox on 26 Jan 2014, 11:16

WOW, this got a soundtrack release (CD-R and digital) of the score by Milan Records. While the electronic score doesn't sound too bad, it's not well represented in the film (unlike the cliché hip-hop songs), and other Dolph scores deserve to be released so much more.
http://milanrecords.com/releases/releas ... e=AMBUSHED

Preview on Itunes

On Amazon

"This was my first collaboration with the composers. Our main goal was to capture the urban essence of Los Angeles. We also wanted to give a retro feel to the soundtrack. Almost like an homage to the ‘80s. That’s why the use of sequencers. The music has been quintessential in delivering a fun, shoot-them-all, action-filled, witty and sexy movie."
- Giorgio Serafini, director

Giorgio Serafini is back with a new fast-paced thriller, this time set in the underworld of Los Angeles and starring Dolph Lundgren from "The Expendables". Ruthless killers, drug traffickers and corrupt cops make life hard for Agent Maxwell and his associates.

Justin Raines, Brian Jackson Harris and Michael Wickstrom wrote an innovative and very engaging electronic score.

The film is released courtesy of Anchor Bay.

01 - "Longevity"
02 - "Deadly Deal"
03 - "Ambient Electronic" by Balint Sapszon
04 - "The Cutting Edge
05 - "Brutal Punishment" by Jay Woodcock
06 - "Crossways" by Balint Tihamer
07 - "Thievery" by Jeffrey Hayat
08 - "Uncertain Future"
09 - "Down and Dirty" by Electroillusion
10 - "When Frank Meets Vinny”
11 - "Sweetness Down the Drain"
12 - "Dirty South City Gangs" by Julian Angel
13 - "Extortion"
14 - "Home Invasion"
15 - "Final Showdown"
16 - "Time To Live, Time To Die" by Steel Vengeance

Duration: 55 minutes

Comes with liner notes by composer Michael Wickstrom and Giorgio Serafini himself.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ambushed-Brian- ... s=ambushed
http://www.amazon.fr/Ambushed-Brian-Jac ... B00G6IOXRQ
http://www.amazon.de/Ambushed-Original- ... s=ambushed

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/M09147/ambushed/

Was released in South Korea theater(s) on January 9th
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 03 Feb 2014, 14:09

Jox wrote:French covers
Image Image

No English track on the French edition, back to stone age...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 09 Feb 2014, 00:24

Possible Dutch cover
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 17 Mar 2014, 14:49

http://influxmagazine.com/an-interview- ... i-capaldi/
Gianni Capaldi: I was initially approached by the writer who wanted to put a film titled Rush together. Augustin and I, then began to brainstorm as to who would be ideal targets. There were many hurdles we encountered on the road to getting it green-lit, including even changing the name Rush to Hard Rush, then Ambushed, due to Ron Howard’s Rush coming out.

NQ: Can you explain to our readers what a producer actually does, and what the difference is between a producer and an executive producer? You produce on Ambushed, and I know from experience, your average cinema-goer generally doesn’t know.

GC: A producer is basically the person who puts it all together. He or she gets the script, packages the actors, directors and budget of the film. An EP basically finances the producer and deals with selling the film and all complicated matters associated. Some cross over and do both, for example, my friend and mentor Phil Goldfine. It was actually he who inspired me, through his dynamism, and is another who wears both hats.

NQ: So, this was basically a way of keeping yourself busy?

GC: Yes, I could never sit on a couch and wait for an audition or a call-back or someone else’s film to go. Something people have loads of in LA is time, and I want to use mine to the fullest. God has given us all the ability to make things happen and no better place than LA to make them reality.

NQ: What sort of style were you looking for in Ambushed, was there one you had in mind, or were you leaving that up to the director?

GC: Well, I’d been looking to do a Snatch type movie. I wanted to try something with a bit less explosions; things being blown up, and try more of a character-driven piece. I want to enjoy characters and let them dictate and create story-lines. Look at Snatch; an absolute masterpiece in this field. If I could have picked one film, (apart from Braveheart) to have been in, it would have been Snatch. It allowed every actor to bring-it, and that created twists and turns as well as humorous plot obstacles. Sheer Brilliance.

NQ: Why Snatch in particular?
GC: (Smiles) Tarantino and Ritchie, I’m their number one fan. What they touch, it turns to gold. They are not afraid to over-develop the character and let their extremities drive the story. Look at ‘Boris the Blade’ or ‘Bullet Tooth Tony,’ as they were overly elaborate, turning every color of a character into a comical aspect. Another great example of this is Robert Carlyle, who was amazing as ‘Begbie’ in Trainspotting.

NQ: Speaking of ‘Bullet Tooth Tony,’ how did Vinnie Jones come on board? I believe you two happen to be friends?

GC: Yes, Vinnie and I wanted to work together, and being on set with friends for a change, and the thrill of filming in LA, allowing us to sleep in our own beds at night was too much to turn down. Then our utterly amazing executive producer Phil Goldfine, went to work by securing Lundgren and Couture.

NQ: What I enjoyed about Ambushed, was that each actor played to their strengths, and suited their characters well. Was that a conscious decision?

GC: When the writer gave me this script, we discussed who would be great in which role. Vinnie and I were a given, the rest eventually came into the fray. When it was down who the director would be, there was nobody better for the job than Giorgio Serafini. I was an utter fan of his work. After I had dinner with him and discussed Ambushed he agreed to step into the role and since that moment we have never looked back. We have developed a great relationship and a bond of trust between us in our jobs. It’s great, he is great and I love working with him. When I was asked to produce Blood of Redemption for the EPs, I insisted I would only produce the film if Giorgio Serafini was at the helm. Not many directors have the skill to get a great job done in 18 days of filming. Giorgio is a rare commodity. For the record, the other co-director listed, with no fault of his own, was asked respectfully to step aside and let Giorgio fill the shoes of director and thus relieving him of all his duties before we even started. I felt a little sorry for him but we all get replaced by bigger and better, it’s happened to me as well and he won’t be the last.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 13 May 2014, 12:37

Japanese cover

Premieres June 29 on WOWOW channel. DVD July 2.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 12 Jul 2014, 12:22

Pretty good Japanese trailer, makes it look really good, gritty and thrilling
Jox
Site Admin

Re: AMBUSHED (Giorgio Serafini, 2013)

Postby Jox on 11 Jan 2016, 11:19

Dolph vs Randy fight rehearsal:
https://vimeo.com/150390419

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Scifibuff5 on 01 Jun 2017, 19:12

I dug director/writer GC's work with Dolph and Vinnie on their other films BLOOD OF REDEMPTION and PUNCTURE WOUNDS, while not 100% perfect or organized, at least managed to be reasonable revenge films. Some of their editing does need serious work and their gaffing could be less apparent but they have a solid cinematographer and complete dedication from the cast.

However with this film (which should've used the Raging Cops or Hard Rush titles in the States), they definitely were rather unfocused and didn't flesh it out enough. Like many people, I couldn't stand the bait-and-switch where it focused instead on the one guy (who also played the supporting authority figure in BLOOD OF REDEMPTION) because his acting wasn't up to enough measure here, didn't have the most interesting storyline and couldn't carry the movie even.

I am surprised that they rehearsed the fight like the Vimeo link here shows as the Randy Couture and Dolph fight was easily the worse part of the film. If you can't get the action in your Action movie down, then your film is truly in jeopardy. This was beyond underwhelming and I'll always rank as one of Dolph's worse films of late.
"No, I haven't seen any of [the new 'Punisher' movies]," - Dolph in 2009 MTV News Interview
Scifibuff5

Postby Jox on 01 Jun 2017, 19:53

Scifibuff5 wrote:I am surprised that they rehearsed the fight like the Vimeo link here shows as the Randy Couture and Dolph fight was easily the worse part of the film. If you can't get the action in your Action movie down, then your film is truly in jeopardy.

I don't know about this one but no matter what they rehearse, too often you're told on the morning of the shoot you only have two or four hours to shoot the fight and have to dismiss the original choreography...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Scifibuff5 on 06 Jun 2017, 00:43

Jox wrote:
Scifibuff5 wrote:I am surprised that they rehearsed the fight like the Vimeo link here shows as the Randy Couture and Dolph fight was easily the worse part of the film. If you can't get the action in your Action movie down, then your film is truly in jeopardy.

I don't know about this one but no matter what they rehearse, too often you're told on the morning of the shoot you only have two or four hours to shoot the fight and have to dismiss the original choreography...

Oh and don't get me wrong, sometimes even when you've prepped months in advance, something still might be rather off or funky with the filming. Director might not be doing his best that day, editors might goof it up in filming, camerawork might be rushed, etc.

You just never know no matter what a talented fighter you might be. Someone might just not bring their all that particular day or it might look great that day but they find out later in post that they could've done it way better. To me, it looked like they did it once or maybe twice, which is so, is a true shame.

However, I can't blame Randy, Dolph and company for hoping the story was fleshed out as while people who don't care for B-movies can ridicule them all day, they fail to understand that professionals like them do actually care about their films being involving. I didn't feel like the story was 100% here but I'm sure there's a good movie in there somewhere. Maybe they can come out with a director's cut or special edition one of these days.
"No, I haven't seen any of [the new 'Punisher' movies]," - Dolph in 2009 MTV News Interview
Scifibuff5

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies