MEN OF WAR (Perry Lang, 1994)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: MEN OF WAR (Perry Lang, 1994)

Postby Jox on 03 Feb 2015, 10:08

20th Anniversary Edition DVD
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Men-War-20th-An ... h+lundgren
Hoping this isn't just a gimmick barebones edition that will be accompanied by a proper Blu-ray...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 27 Mar 2015, 12:30

Jox wrote:20th Anniversary Edition DVD
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Men-War-20th-An ... h+lundgren
Hoping this isn't just a gimmick barebones edition that will be accompanied by a proper Blu-ray...

I've contact them to help and participate to special features, they replied and then never got back to me again, which sounds like they didn't genuinely want to bother or pay for anything so don't expect much... These companies pay their labs and other technical services, but they expect special features people to work for free...

And in my case, give them all their research and materials as a due, much like exploitation, racket and extortion. (Another infamous company I will not name just "offered" me to "just grab a camera and film myself" while giving them all my hardly and expensively acquired collection and letting them do the booklet - while I had hours of interviews I did on the film -so exclusives I'd be given of my own project-, and all the necessary contacts to make more)...

So from now own I'll prefer to focus on my own project (rather than kissing ass to be "allowed" to enhanced these)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 30 Mar 2015, 09:11

That's incredibly disheartening to hear. The funny thing is, it might be worth getting that DVD for me since it appears to be all region and I've never been able to track if it even got an Australian release on home video.

Honestly these days, your forum is probably far more in depth than any major studio blu ray release, barring those who get guys like Charles de Lauzirika to extensively put the special features together.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Jox on 30 Mar 2015, 19:36

dude hallenbeck wrote:Honestly these days, your forum is probably far more in depth than any major studio blu ray release

Thanks a lot I appreciate you saying it, I'm working hard at that, and bringing you even more at some point, to make up for the lack of in-depth behind the scenes, especially for titles like MEN OF WAR which came at a time when you didn't get much Dolph movie content in magazines (unlike say THE PUNISHER, which was covered quite extensively back in '89).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 30 Mar 2015, 22:45

That sad, but realistic truth is that the DVD / home media market is not what it used to be. While films are still getting pressed to DVD and Blu-Ray regularly, it's done so at a much cheaper rate. That's why the booklet that came with the RED SCORPION Special Edition Blu-Ray was such a treat... Those are just non-existent today. Ten years ago DVD's came with informational books, interactive menus, and chapter selections with titles. Nowadays, everything is done on the cheap. DVD's are put out in recycled cases, no inserts, and the chapter selections are simply numbered. No way is a distribution company going to pay a hardcore fan for their notes and including it on the release (even if that is what the fans would truly appreciate).

Yes, like what was said above, the forums here provide all the in-depth info one would need!!! Plus, it's all the more appreciated here anyway!
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 29 Apr 2015, 11:57

savagesketch wrote:That sad, but realistic truth is that the DVD / home media market is not what it used to be. While films are still getting pressed to DVD and Blu-Ray regularly, it's done so at a much cheaper rate. That's why the booklet that came with the RED SCORPION Special Edition Blu-Ray was such a treat... Those are just non-existent today. Ten years ago DVD's came with informational books, interactive menus, and chapter selections with titles. Nowadays, everything is done on the cheap. DVD's are put out in recycled cases, no inserts, and the chapter selections are simply numbered.

The Germans (and some French companies to a lessser extent) are making non-stop deluxe digibook/steelbok editions with booklet and more, which within a small niche and limited at 500, 2000 or 3000 units must be working for them (even though it's hard to believe given how much it costs to produce and manufacture). The US companies just don't seem to take editorial content and interest from genre fans in high regards (at the exception of Shout Factory, Synapse Films, Blue Underground or Kino Lorber).

savagesketch wrote: No way is a distribution company going to pay a hardcore fan for their notes and including it on the release (even if that is what the fans would truly appreciate).

Some companies do pay (rightfully so) and what I'm offering is not merely "notes" but :
1/ access to my long and hardly/expensively acquired collection of vintage stills and other materials they can't even get from the new licensing studios/right holders (when they only get 5 or 6 shots plus one or two key arts)
2/ access to contacts to the star, cast and crew (some of which are very hard to find and took me years to get in touch with) to possibly record new interviews and extra materials
3/ my own insights from years of research and more than a hundred interviews I conducted over the past 8 years
4/ the work from not only "a hard core fan", but someone with scholar and hand-on education in film and 15 years of working in the industry, behind the scenes in distribution/production with the French MIramax/Lionsgate, training and on-set production in Los Angeles, training in writing and directing, self-education and scholar research in film for 25 years
5/ on-set experience, work and friendship with the Man himself

The problem is not that some companies don't care about their barebones product, the issue is when a company claims to me they want to make a "special edition" but don't even acknowledge what I'm bringing to the table on a golden platter, that I doubt they can come up with themselves, and don't even take the time to simply discuss what can be done (but they do basically racket me into saying "gives us all you got", and insult anyone who does things professionally by suggesting to merely "take a camera and film yourself tot alk about the film and maybe we'll include it", all without mentioning any exchange of services and I'm not even talking pay)... Maybe I need an agent who would "sell" me better than I do it myself haha!

Anway I'm over it now, moving on...

Here' is rare publicity still / lobby card:
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Krom on 29 Apr 2015, 13:22

Jox wrote:I've contact them to help and participate to special features, they replied and then never got back to me again, which sounds like they didn't genuinely want to bother or pay for anything so don't expect much... These companies pay their labs and other technical services, but they expect special features people to work for free...

And in my case, give them all their research and materials as a due, much like exploitation, racket and extortion. (Another infamous company I will not name just "offered" me to "just grab a camera and film myself" while giving them all my hardly and expensively acquired collection and letting them do the booklet - while I had hours of interviews I did on the film -so exclusives I'd be given of my own project-, and all the necessary contacts to make more)...

So from now own I'll prefer to focus on my own project (rather than kissing ass to be "allowed" to enhanced these)...

Thats a good thinking. Great to hear about your project!
TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular

Postby Jox on 09 May 2015, 12:27

And the most beautiful was for a movie called MAN OF WAR, which we shot in Thailand - every morning, we'd get up and travel on 10 big boats at sunrise, and on breaks we would go swim in the ocean. It was like a paid vacation.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3 ... ?context=3
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 24 May 2015, 21:14

Early screenshots of the upcoming blu-ray from Platinum Cult... before tweaking...

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 16 Jun 2015, 13:17

MOW is getting re-released (uncut) in Japan from new HD master but only on DVD, no Blu-ray apparently :(
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/ORS-7163
(the blu-ray market is not big in Japan, at least not for these movies)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 04 Jul 2015, 21:34

Jox wrote:MOW is getting re-released (uncut) in Japan from new HD master but only on DVD, no Blu-ray apparently :(
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/ORS-7163
(the blu-ray market is not big in Japan, at least not for these movies)

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 12 Jul 2015, 11:59

20 years ago today, the French theatrical release of MEN OF WAR (on about 80 screens including 30 screens in the Greater Paris region). I saw it in a newly opened multiplex (great screen) at the first showing of 9-10 AM...

It was one of Dolph's last starring vehicles to be released theatrically there before THE SHOOTER one year later.

The film flopped but received excellent reviews in the press, some of the best I've ever read for a Dolph movie.

French theatrical trailer

Dolph interview

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 14 Jul 2015, 20:10

'84 Entertainment "unrated" mediabook out September 14th (limited 2,000 copies)
(Which tells me Oliver Krekel's Platinum Cult Edition might be cut)
https://www.facebook.com/11935440809876 ... 11/?type=1

EDIT
I don't know if reliable but they say it's from an HD master made off an original uncut negative. 8) Original negative I doubt but as long as it's a good scan from decent 35mm material...
http://www.dvd-forum.at/news-details/51 ... mediabooks
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies