HAIL, CAESAR! (Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, 2015)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

HAIL, CAESAR! (Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, 2015)

Postby Jox on 10 Feb 2015, 19:06

Dolph in the new Coen brothers movie! 8)

The film is set in the 1950s Hollwyood and got an impressive from George Clooney to Christophe Lambert, from Scarlett Johansson to Tilda Swinton, Channing Tatum, Clancy Brown, Ralph Fiennes and more...

It's a small role but no complaigning here, it's from some of the most respected American directors around, and in a prestige production that could go likely be selected in the official competition of festivals like Cannes or Berlin.

Dolph shot his part in December but I think the production just wrapped principal photography.

After recently playing a French captain of the Foreign Legion in the upcoming World War II picture WAR PIGS, and doing a cameo in the new Coen brothers project HAIL, CAESAR,

http://www.dolphlundgren.com/news/index.html
Jox
Site Admin

Re: HAIL, CAESAR! (Joel & Ethan Coen, 2015) (in post-product

Postby bomaz on 10 Feb 2015, 20:14

Well, excellent news :D
bomaz

Postby savagesketch on 10 Feb 2015, 21:44

Wonder why this was kept so under wraps and isn't being released till now...
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 10 Feb 2015, 22:19

There had already been many announcements about the film (and humangous cast, which tops an EXPENDABLES film) prior to it, the casting was still going on as they were filming and this one happened kind of at the last minute and not long before filming it so...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 11 Feb 2015, 04:55

Fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. What a great opportunity to show his range.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Moltisanti on 11 Feb 2015, 05:24

Ha! Was looking to see if there was any other news about this and stumbled across this facebook post from last October:

https://www.facebook.com/rod.stone.35/posts/969625733054588

US/WORLDWIDE CASTING CALL FOR A 'DOLPH LUNDGREN' LOOK A LIKE FOR NEXT 'COHEN BROTHERS' MOVIE 'HAIL CEASAR!' STARRING, GEORGE CLOONEY, JOSH BROLIN, SCARLETT JOHANSSON, TILDA SWINTON, RALPH FIENNES, AND CHANUM TATUM!

My good friends in Los Angeles are casting the new Cohen Brothers movie HAIL CEASAR and need some help! smile emoticon

DO YOU KNOW SOMEONE WHO LOOKS LIKE DOLPH LUNDGREN WHO WOULD LIKE TO BE IN THE NEXT COHEN BROTHERS MOVIE? YOU OR THEY MUST LOOK LIKE DOLPH DOES TODAY AND MUST HAVE A SOVIET AURA AND NOT AN AMERICAN AURA!

My Los Angeles friends are casting the new Cohen Brothers movie HAIL CEASAR!! This is a super, duper featured spot!!

If you have a submission, please email me with Square jawed (reference photos attached) at rod@stoneageproductions.com, and I will forward it to them! This is no joke and a great opportunity!

Guess they cut to the chase and just got Dolph.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Jox on 11 Feb 2015, 11:52

I guess they sent out a call for safety before it was signed. Also that was around the time he was on WAR PIGS and might have not responded right away.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby TEMIRLAN on 11 Feb 2015, 15:22

This is very interesting! Wonder what is his role about.
TEMIRLAN

Postby bomaz on 11 Feb 2015, 22:14

and it's a good point if he makes the good connections (Channing Tatum could give him a part in 23 jump street ;) ).
bomaz

Postby Tom on 13 Feb 2015, 01:10

bomaz wrote:and it's a good point if he makes the good connections (Channing Tatum could give him a part in 23 jump street ;) ).

He'd would honestly be really brilliant in a film like that. Dolph's got better comedic skills than people give him credit for. I could see him being very funny in a Judd Apatow film, or something like Anchorman. Possibly even playing an exaggerated version of himself, kind of like Sam Jones (Flash Gordon) did in Ted.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 13 Feb 2015, 01:24

Gotta be careful because he tends to do too much and already kind of parody himself sometimes, even for comedy. Sam Jones in TED was cool and fit the movie but he was definitely portrayed as a washed-up/washed-out has-been who's done too much of everything (surgery, partying, blow).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 13 Feb 2015, 02:20

I'd like to see him given a good length cameo in a few big screen films. I guess comedy is the most realistic avenue as it might be hard for someone to cast Dolph in a drama for example. I'd sacrifice one or two of the cheap sort of films he's done in recent years for more roles like this though. If he gets a role at least as big as Small Apartments I'd be delighted. The cast is amazing for this.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 13 Feb 2015, 12:04

I don't see what's the problem with drama (sure it's not gonna be the lead male role in REVOLUTIONARY ROAD), if it's the good part and depending what you call "drama". Actually I see him more (of is it my wishful thinking) in a dramatic part (maybe quite tormented) than comedy where he tends to be a bit more uncomfortable on screen (more than in real-life) and may not have the ease and timing to, make it flow and be natural. Ensermble cast projects like SMALL APARTMENTS are great, too bad this one didn't have the same route that some of these indies have. It was well received by those who have seen it ultimately but no many people are aware of the film despite its cast.

At least HAIL, CAESAR! not only is an ensemble cast film with acclaimed directors, it's also sure to get a mainstream theatrical distribution from Universal (who apparently already set the release date to February 5, 2016 -and a Berlin fest premiere?).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 13 Feb 2015, 14:22

Dolph would be great in Drama no doubt, but I don't think anyone would cast him in one (which is a shame). He may attract comical parts, and as we've seen in a few US sitcoms, there have been a few references to D.
I suppose one can hope someone like Tarantino decided to give him a role in something. Again though, Tarantino tends to lean toward quirky, offbeat and slightly comical anyway.

Who knows though, the Coens have often used the same actors in several pictures. This might not be the last time we see D in a Coen film, particularly if he impresses.
Tom
Regular

Next

Return to Dolph's Movies