THE EXPENDABLES 3 (Patrick Hughes, 2014)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE EXPENDABLES 3 (Patrick Hughes, 2014)

Postby Jox on 06 Mar 2015, 12:29

Yeah I posted the link from trade site Deadline in the EX4 News & Rumors section. to me it just sounds like when they did ROBOCOP or STARGATE series, mught be good for TV ratings but you have to forget what you liked about the films, and guven the direction taken by the sequels this is very scary and could be really silly. I hope Dolph doesn't get dragged into this or THE EXPENDABELLES, even for a cameo. The late 2008 ecstasy from the EX1 announcement has turned into a nightmare...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 07 Mar 2015, 05:13

'24: Live Another Day' is a pretty well regarded mini series from Fox. If they can treat it this seriously and with that level of production, I'd actually much rather Dolph be in this, than actual future film sequels.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Moltisanti on 07 Mar 2015, 05:48

As disgusted as I was with how his character was sidelined in EX3, I also wouldn't mind seeing Lundgren be a part of this. For better or worse this franchise has kept his name out there and as scary as some of the TV/film projects he's done the last few years I think things would be even worse if the EX series wasn't around to give him a boost.

This is still in a very early stage of development but the idea of a limited TV series actually sounds more interesting than trying to crib together another film full of actors who only show up for 4 days of work.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Jox on 07 Mar 2015, 16:32

Do you really see this going with quality writing/production value of 24? Given the direction of the movie sequels I don't see that being treated seriously but I hope to be told wrong.

actually sounds more interesting than trying to crib together another film full of actors who only show up for 4 days of work.
The worst is that apart from Arnold, Jet, Kelsey and Robert Davi, most actors were on location for at least a month or two (Dolph around six weeks, and working most days)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 07 Mar 2015, 20:47

Network television is not what it was 10-15 years ago (despite what the horrid SAF3 may lead some to believe). I am surprised a little at what is allowed past the censors these days. And Fox is one network that loves to push those boundaries. 24, PRISON BREAK, and now THE FOLLOWING have decent production values and name stars to carry the projects beyond typical TV-fare. THE FOLLOWING especially is quite violent and disturbing for primetime TV.

While I'm not a huge fan of the jokey, silly nature of the last two films, this might be an okay move considering that we'll most likely not be seeing any more films in the EX series (despite their reports that claim an EX4 and EX5 are in development). Also, considering that Dolph, Randy Couture, and Terry Crews did much of the leg work promoting the EX films (stuck on the lower end of the totem star-wise, I guess), I wouldn't be surprised if they're cast as the stars, or at least show up in cameos. Granted, it's not a starring role on a gritty show like THE SHIELD or Cinemax's STRIKE BACK or BANSHEE, but it would be something to continue getting Dolph's name back in the mainstream light. And it's loads better than SAF3. Hell, I'd take D in a sitcom over SAF3... :lol:
savagesketch

Postby dude hallenbeck on 08 Mar 2015, 10:44

Jox wrote:Do you really see this going with quality writing/production value of 24? Given the direction of the movie sequels I don't see that being treated seriously but I hope to be told wrong.

It's the same people paying for it, so it's possible.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Jox on 08 Mar 2015, 14:55

But it had a totally different background, history and a proven track record in terms of something rather smart and witty, without Sly and Nu Image behind it, whereas I'm not sure they'll dare the same thing with something like THE EXPENDABLES... By the way, I don't think Dolph is very interested in playing the Expendable forever (or even in a fourth movie, especially given how his character has been handled and changed), but of course he can change his mind depending on the circumstances and the offer (or pressure to do it).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby MacGyver on 08 Mar 2015, 18:13

Fox doesn't really produce cheap/crappy looking productions. Most all of their action shows are done quite well. I feel this could potentially be pretty good and think it would be great for Dolph to be involved.

As for EX4, until he starts getting offers to appear in other films with guaranteed theatrical releases, he can't afford to decline future EX films.
MacGyver

Postby Jox on 09 Mar 2015, 11:47

Maybe, but I'm just saying that I know from him that deep inside he's not thrilled about it at all (and already declined EX2 the first time Sly came to him for it). And he's never been career-crazy about box-office figures above everything else. And even if it's at the cost of bad choices he always preferred to play his own game and do his own mistakes.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 09 Mar 2015, 12:59

That's a shame. Becoming a background character after stealing the show in the first film would be incredibly frustrating. Especially with how gruelling the filing conditions can get.
dude hallenbeck

Postby savagesketch on 09 Mar 2015, 17:26

Jox wrote:Maybe, but I'm just saying that I know from him that deep inside he's not thrilled about it at all (and already declined EX2 the first time Sly came to him for it).

That's the VERY first time I've heard that. He seriously declined EX2 the first time around? Why?
savagesketch

Postby dude hallenbeck on 10 Mar 2015, 07:32

It's a pretty nothing role he's had in the sequels. Good for him business wise, but not creatively.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Jox on 10 Mar 2015, 14:06

savagesketch wrote:He seriously declined EX2 the first time around? Why?

Yeah, he mentioned it a couple of times, he told me the first draft was not good at all, not for anybody and especially not for his character. I think they came back to him a couple of times before he and Sly met at his house to discuss it, Sly agreed with him on it being weak, and he punched up the script, characters and dialogues.

dude hallenbeck wrote:It's a pretty nothing role he's had in the sequels. Good for him business wise, but not creatively.

EX2 was interesting and kind of a challenge for him to show (especially for wide audiences) a lighter side and leave the action/badass heavy lifting to the others. But it's a shame a lot of his stuff got cut out (I guess his drunk singing while fighting seemed odd to fit in the movie) though.

EX3 is another story (and again lots of deleted scenes and footage)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 13 Mar 2015, 11:38

The Japanese Premium edition packshot:

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 16 Mar 2015, 12:03

German VOD wallpaper
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies