THE DEFENDER (Dolph Lundgren, 2004)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Travis on 15 Oct 2005, 02:39

he should pump up again...i think he would regain some of his popularity if he did.
Travis
Regular

Postby carrie on 15 Oct 2005, 20:59

pumped, not pumped im easily pleased,either way does it for me :wink:
carrie
Regular

Postby Dawn on 20 Oct 2005, 22:26

Guys, I have The Defender in my queue on netflix.com. Now I rent movies there all the time and I almost never have to wait for any movie. But lo and behold, I am still on a long wait for The Defender! :shock: Wow, its great to see this kind of response to Dolph's movie! I'll probably just go buy it instead tonight, but I thought you guys might find that interesting! :)
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 20 Oct 2005, 23:20

I have my copy on order from Amazon so it better come in by the weekend. But I was near a Blockbuster the other day and I thought I'd check to see how many copies they had, it turns out they didn't have any! I'm glad I don't normally rent movies from them.

I also notice that Amazon has the THE DEFENDER listed as only having "4 copies left" so it could be that the demand is close to overtaking the supply which is a good sign for the film's popularity.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby Jox on 21 Oct 2005, 00:41

I have an interesting story about that: I saw on an a trade ad for the DVD and BestBuy had its logo on it so I assumed they're sponsoring the film... When I went to the closest BestBuy in my area, they of course didn't have any, which pissed me off once again. I went to ask a seller who looked on his computer and reolied he would receive a few copies next week.

He also said "um I haven't Dolph Lundgren in a movie in a long time", and when I said "it's the first film he directed", he was like "um I have a friend of mine who directed Dolph in his first film after Rocky 4" Me: "you mean you're friend with Gary Goddard?!" Him: "you know gary goddard?" Me"of course I'm a Dolph fan, of course I know gary goddard!".

So even if I almost walked out without asking him his phone number, I finally gave the guy my phone number to see if he could arrange a meeting with Gary Goddard! Hope this works!!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 21 Oct 2005, 08:42

I think we have done a good job of spreading the word. I know Moltisani has talked it up on CHUD. I posted review there too which has got over 300 views.
Also there is an absolute legend called Chaintro who has been posting on just about every forum imaginable, telling people to watch it. I really hope this does well. Plus people are just plain curious to see a film with Dolph Lundgren and Jerry Springer.

Good news will be that people will see Dolph's talent as director and then be curious to see the Mechanik, which will really blow their socks off. Plus Dolph's co-star in that, Olivia Lee is up for the part of not only DR Who's sidekick but also to be the next Bond Girl. If she becomes famous in the next year, by the time the Mechanik gets its US release it could be really bg on DVD.

If Defender and Mechanik do really well then at the very least DL will get some more substantial budgets to work with.

Good luck with Gary Goddard Jox. I;d love to hear his thoughts on being just a little bit shafted on his first (and last I believe) big directing gig. He did a good job consdering the penny pinching production he had to work on (having to film the climactic battle in a day if I remember!).
Tom
Regular

Postby Moltisanti on 22 Oct 2005, 03:52

Well UPS did not deliver THE DEFENDER to me today (not to mention BATMAN BEGINS which is in the same shipment). I ended up going to Fry's which is a huge electronics store and has a big DVD section. They had about 5 copies for sale and they were only $14.99 which is about $10 off the list price.

So when I get the one I ordered from Amazon I'll either take that one back to the store since it will be unopened, or I'll list it on Ebay like I did with the old Thai DEFENDER DVD I had.

Incidentally I have noticed a ton of 5-Star reviews for THE DEFENDER on Amazon. I did a little digging and I'm pretty confident that they are all bogus and are working for the company distributing THE DEFENDER. Almsot all the people praising THE DEFENDER there are also praising another film called MAIL ORDER WIFE which is also a Visual Entertainment film.

On the one hand I don't like this because it seems underhanded, but since I like THE DEFENDER it doesn't bother me as much because people should check it out. I just hope the same stuff doesn't go on if they ever decide to release RETROGRADE in the states.
Moltisanti
Regular

Postby TombRaider on 26 Oct 2005, 23:46

Jox, on your site, on defender page you have screenshots from making of defender, from what dvd is it?
TombRaider
Regular

Postby Jox on 27 Oct 2005, 01:33

it's from the Greek DVD, it's only 5-6 minutes and has too many clips from the actual movie... the "Direct Action" Greek DVD has also more extras than any other one
Jox
Site Admin

R1 Non Anamorphic OR Anamorphic?

Postby BrunnenMatt on 31 Oct 2005, 23:07

Just read a review for the R1 DVD and it mention it is not an anamorphic transfer, Can somebody confirm this for me? Does it include the theatrical trailer also?, it only mentions trailers.

The review can be found here. I was going to order it today but think I might wait, how's the Greek DVD transfer?

...BMatt
BrunnenMatt
Regular

Postby Travis on 04 Nov 2005, 04:32

the defender sucked
Travis
Regular

Postby BrunnenMatt on 07 Nov 2005, 01:53

Another 2 reviews have confirmed this title in Region 1 is a Non Anamorphic transfer :(.

Very disappointing in the end, companies today should not release titles non anamorphic (letterbox) anymore, I know "Wake of Death" was also release non anamorphic.

...BMatt
BrunnenMatt
Regular

Postby Jox on 07 Nov 2005, 22:44

I have it and indeed it's not 16/9 but at least it's in its orginal aspect ratio, and not pan & scan fullscreen...
Jox
Site Admin

THE DEFENDER for best Live Action DVD premiere movie?

Postby Jox on 09 Nov 2005, 04:02

I think there's ballott for the nominations of the DVD Premiere Awards and "The Defender" would be a candidate. Remember a few years ago Hidden Agenda almost made it to be nominated, but now there's everything for The Defender to get at least nominated if not an award!

http://www.dvdxvoting.com/guest_title_ballot.asp?title_id=4029
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 09 Nov 2005, 04:16

It certainly deserves to be nominated in a lot of those catagories. I noticed that neither INTO THE SUN or TODAY YOU DIE were among the choices. Both of those movies were bad but they were high profile DVD premieres. Maybe an actor is only able to be nominated for one film because I see that DIRECT ACTION isn't on the list either.

Whatever the case THE DEFENDER really should get the spotlight instead of those throwaway sequels that are populating the catagory.
Moltisanti
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies