RIOT (John Lyde, 2015)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: RIOT (John Lyde, 2015) (in post-production)

Postby Nathan on 05 May 2015, 00:03

That would make sense Jox as Dolph's character in particular really does feel shoe-horned in there to a certain extent, it's almost like it was meant to be about some pissant drug dealers and they flung the cop character in there just to make it more like a tradition actionier. Not Dolph's finest hour but there was fun value in seeing him fight Couture.
Riot looks not too bad, although why the hell would you post all those screenshots. Looks like it may have been fairly competently shot as some of the material looks reasonable even without a grade. Will watch as always!
"Are we having fun yet?" - Dolph Lundgren, Universal Soldier
Nathan
Regular

Postby Jox on 05 May 2015, 15:15

I like to try things as an actor that I haven’t done before. I’ve done a few of those films lately. I did one WWII movie where I play a Legionnaire. I did another one where I play a DEA agent who’s a very odd and odd-looking fella. I did something else where I’m in prison playing a guy who’s mentally challenged, but he’s really an FBI agent. So I’m trying to have some fun as an actor.
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/05/04/ ... e-tony-jaa

Regarding the state of DTV, I'll also add that back in the day, a lot of projects were either not meant to be pure action flicks originally or were written by solid writers: JOSHUA TREE was written by Steven Pressfield (now an acclaimed novelist and also author o THE LEGEND OF BAGGER VANCE) and was meant to be a neo-"film noir" like KILL ME AGAIN or RED ROCK WESTMEN OF WAR didn't have any action until the last act and was penned by legendary John Sayles, DARK ANGEL was ultimately reshaped by big time David Koepp, SILENT TRIGGER was also not concepted as an action film and was initially a dark nihillitsic thriller only set in this building etc...

Writers of that generation were interested about something else than just making a "cool action" movie so the films, even when broaden with more action stuff, ultimately bore something beyond that made them much deeper and subtle, unlike the work of many of today's young newcomers (who aren't necessarily as cultured or deep) whose scripts aren't developed or produced with as much care (which is also partly due do the economics, market etc).
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 05 May 2015, 18:38

Jox wrote:
I did something else where I’m in prison playing a guy who’s mentally challenged, but he’s really an FBI agent. So I’m trying to have some fun as an actor.
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/05/04/ ... e-tony-jaa

Didn't pick up on that character angle at all, especially from the dozens of screenshots posted... Looking forward to seeing how this plays out...

On a different note, don't think I've ever seen the lead, Matthew Reese before... Looks to be a regular in these types of quick films, as well as a producer. Hope he has a little more appeal than Gianni Capaldi who also produced and subsequently cast himself in substantial roles.
savagesketch

Postby DRC2013 on 06 May 2015, 16:41

DRC2013

Postby Dragonrage on 09 May 2015, 00:48

And here is the trailer! This was fast...

Dragonrage

Postby Jox on 09 May 2015, 01:19

I knew they would put a promo together for sales at the Cannes market starting next week but didn't expect to surface publically. Usually the sooner the cheapest (VMI did the same for BOR while they held off footage and promos for WAR PIGS which much more effort and time seems to have been put into it...

The teaser is well cut for something done quickly off production wrap, the movie looks... by the numbers stupid and unteresting to me but I didn't have any expectations.

EDIT: that's the director's cut company that uploaded it like they did with the screenshots. Very amateurish, next thing we know the whole film will be there as soon as they have a cut... Or even they don't even give it a damn chance and that's saying something...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 09 May 2015, 13:20

Well, that looks like a dumb saturday night entertainment, with women fighting in prison, fast paced fights and decent rythm (just from the trailer).
Too much Dolph and Liddell in the trailer, according to their shooting schedule. :lol:
We'll see.
bomaz

Postby shooby on 10 May 2015, 14:37

but when does he takes vacations ? lol
shooby

Postby Jox on 16 May 2015, 00:52

Revised artwork
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 18 May 2015, 12:51

VMI Worldwide infiltrates Cannes with 'Riot'
http://www.screendaily.com/festivals/ca ... ntID=42422
VMI Worldwide has been tempting Croisette buyers with action titles Riot starring Dolph Lundgren and Perfect Weapon with Steven Segal.

Riot falls under the company’s new multi-title production deal with Lundgren and goes out in North America via output partner Cinedigm.

Director John Lyde is in production in Utah on the revenge story about a former police officer who infiltrates a prison to strike at a mob boss. Matthew Reese and Chuck Liddell also star.

“This is now the third time that we’ve had the pleasure and honour to work with action Legend Dolph Lundgren and it’s looking like there will be many more film collaborations to come,” said VMI president Andre Relis. “We couldn’t be happier to once again be associated with such a professional and inspiring partner.”

Lundgren also stars alongside Mickey Rourke, Liddell and Luke Goss in the WWII action title War Pigs.

Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 18 May 2015, 20:11

Do they have unkown project up their sleeves ? (or is it just the spur of Cannes speaking here ?).
I hope they're not involved in Nordic Light (or if so, that they're blindly giving money ^^).
bomaz

Postby Jox on 19 May 2015, 18:22

bomaz wrote:Do they have unkown project up their sleeves ?

Not that I know of but it's obvious they'll offer him whatever project they have getting close to production that might need names for financing. Not sure what their implication is though as they seem more involved in financing and distribution than artistic say (they were all projects coming from outside producers and making the projects on their own). WAR PIGS is definitely the most serious effort that came out of it.

I'm pretty sure Dolph doesn't want to get these kind of companies getting involved with NORDIC LIGHT (that's why he let a number of cheap deals go with SKIN TRADE), unless they can invest a substential amount of money that I doubt they can.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Dida on 20 May 2015, 11:46

Maybe he will end up in Perfect Weapon with Seagal... :wink:
If he dies....he dies....
Dida

Postby savagesketch on 20 May 2015, 20:50

khurram112 wrote:I for one wouldn't mind a good role with Steven Seagal...

Yet in this day in age with these lightning-fast shooting schedules and tight budgets (and also the way Seagal is rumored to behave), who knows if they would even share screen time. Seagal did one a few years ago with Steve Austin, MAXIMUM CONVICTION, and they're barely on screen together once. Even the scene where their characters are establishing their history and friendship was shot on different days; the characters are supposedly talking to one another, yet the camera keeps jumping from Seagal to Austin, Austin to Seagal. :lol:
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 04 Jun 2015, 13:46

VMI Worldwide booth at Cannes
Matthew Reese
Hilarious!! #poster #notApproved #ohWell still making movies and having fun!! #letItBe #$$
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies