ELECTRIC BOOGALOO (Mark Hartley, 2014, documentary)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO (Mark Hartley, 2014, documentary)

Postby Jox on 27 Apr 2015, 16:37

I can't believe ELECTRIC BOOGALOO is rated 16 in Germany and 18 in the UK!
BBFCINSIGHT strong sex, nudity, strong bloody violence, sexual violence

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/electric ... films-film

It's a documentary, so what if there's a few boob shots and gore (which I don't even remember seeing much of)? Censors all over the world continue to amaze me...

EDIT:
ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: THE WILD, UNTOLD STORY OF CANNON FILMS is a documentary about the production company who sought to challenge the Hollywood mainstream with their own brand of exploitation films during the 1970s and 1980s.

SEX
There are frequent scenes of strong sex in clips from various films, including sight of men thrusting into women, and implied cunnilingus and fellatio.

NUDITY
There are frequent scenes of full frontal nudity in clips from various films.

VIOLENCE
There are frequent moments of strong violence, including shootings, stabbings, and a chainsaw cutting open a man, all appearing in clips illustrating Cannon productions.

There are occasional scenes of sexualised violence in film clips, including a topless woman fighting another woman with a whip. There are also scenes of sexual violence during excerpts from films, including sight of men thrusting and female breast nudity as women are raped. However, comments made both around and during the film clips question the ethics of presenting sexual violence in this manner.

There is frequent use of strong language ('f**k', 'c**ksucker'), and brief sight of strong drug use in a clip from a film featuring a character snorting cocaine.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Krom on 08 May 2015, 12:51

Jox wrote:Image

I can't believe ELECTRIC BOOGALOO is rated 16 in Germany and 18 in the UK!
BBFCINSIGHT strong sex, nudity, strong bloody violence, sexual violence

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/electric ... films-film

It's a documentary, so what if there's a few boob shots and gore (which I don't even remember seeing much of)? Censors all over the world continue to amaze me...

I've seen it yday, it has much boobs and swearing. Love it. Not much Dolph...and no word about Bloodsport!:(
TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular

Postby Jox on 03 Jun 2015, 13:10

UK release in select theatres this Friday

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 06 Jun 2015, 14:27

Bristol double bill screening July 2
http://www.bristolbadfilmclub.co.uk/201 ... e-theatre/

Custom made vintage Cannon ad
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 16 Jun 2015, 17:32

UK DVD (out July 5)

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 28 Jun 2015, 10:55

Interview with director Mark Hartley
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 29 Jun 2015, 09:59

Exclusive Interview – Electric Boogaloo Director Mark Hartley
http://www.heyuguys.com/heyuguys-interv ... k-hartley/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 01 Jul 2015, 10:11

Rated R "for strong sexual content, graphic nudity, violence including rape, language and some drug use."
US distributor: Warner Home Entertainment, Inc.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 04 Jul 2015, 11:36

Director Mark Hartley discusses the rise and fall of Cannon Films
http://www.bristolbadfilmclub.co.uk/201 ... non-films/
I think there are just people that wanted a Greatest Hits celebratory package and that’s not what the film is. Ours is pretty warts and all and when I’m doing Q&As, I’ve had people stand up and say, “Your films pisses all over my childhood”, I have to say, “Well, actually it was Cannon that pissed on your childhood.”

If you can’t believe the people in the film who were in the trenches at Cannon, then who are you going to believe? I’d rather listen to people that were there than people who have no connection to the company at all apart from the fact that they’re film fans – but a lot of people want what The Go-Go Boys has, which is Eli Roth waxing lyrical about Cannon!
I think they feel it’s a little one-sided in terms of the Cannon bashing, but there are people in the film who have good things to say, however everyone agrees that Menahem ate, slept and breathed cinema 24/7. And I feel that led both to the success of the company and its eventual collapse.
There’s profiles on other films I’d have like to get in there, but we had to keep it a reasonable length. Plus we had to pay for ever piece of footage we used, which took up a large part of the budget and things suffered because of that.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby DRC2013 on 04 Jul 2015, 17:18

I finally saw electric Boogaloo and enjoyed it a lot. It is exactly what you would come to expect from Mark Hartley if you've seen his earlier documentaries. Lots of talking heads and funny and interesting film clips sprinkled in, this time with footage from the BBC documentary from the 80's.
A must watch for anyone who loves Cannon films or just 80's movies in general.

Allthough I have to agree with some of the criticism that it does come off a bit too snarky and negative, which of course is understandable considering most of the interviewees are former employees and colleagues of Golan and Globus.

I also saw The Go-Go Boys documentary, which is a nice companion piece for Electric Boogaloo, it's a bit more sentimental since it actually interviews both Golan and Globus and actually shows them interacting with eachother, and the ending with them watching movies in the cinema while eating popcorn is absolutely great.
Eli Roth also has the average fan's point-of-view and he talks about the awesomeness of Cannon, Ninjas, Norris and Bronson, which I think was missing from Electric Boogaloo, these documentaries always need like a Quentin Tarantino type who is essentially and outsider but a die hard fan who unconditionally loves these B-movies and can't stop talking about them and how awesome they were.

But both docs are most definitely a must watch.
DRC2013

Postby Jox on 20 Jul 2015, 15:11

Mark Hartley interview
http://www.theransomnote.co.uk/film/ray ... 14-cannon/
He’s got flak for the film – “it does polarise people expecting it to be a fan boy picture. Somebody told me the film had pissed on his childhood” – but as Hartley explains, the Rashomon approach, with four or five people giving their version of how they saw it, works in its favour. “I think people appreciate how candid and honest it is,” he says. “I’m sick of seeing recent documentaries, where people talk to fans, authors, critics, scholars, but none of them have the first hand connection, telling first hand accounts, having been in the trenches. This is a much more candid and honest story.”

He’s thought about it from all angles – when we suggest that it pays less attention to VHS than we thought it was, he says the pre-sales were key for Cannon, not the VHS boom. Even in the UK, he points out, the company owned scores of cinemas as well as a video label, enabling Cannon to air its own films in its own outlets. By the time the big VHS bucks came along, he adds “our story is pretty much over”.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 23 Jul 2015, 11:19

60 mins of extras which I hope are not the 10 mins + 50 mins of Cannon trailers edited together... But I think Hartley said they were putting deleted scenes together, that they didn't have time to legaly clear before the other releases.
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies