SMALL APARTMENTS (Jonas Åkerlund, 2012)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: SMALL APARTMENTS (Jonas Åkerlund, 2012)

Postby Mosquito on 17 Oct 2014, 11:55

I've watched it yesterday and I really liked it. It's a weird movie full of weird but still mostly loveable characters. It has some hilarious moments (my favourite one being the scene where detective O'Grady recaps the "suicide" in the garage) but also various really touching moments, especially towards the end. My husband, whom I had to literally drag to watch the movie with me, said afterwards that it was a really good one. Guess he was suprised about that.

Oh, and Dolph? I think he was very good as this character. Oh my, that creepy make-up! I thought it was even weirder than his clothes. Especially when you think of people who actually use this kind of make-up in real life. It's not a big role but you see him various times during the movie (directly, on TV screens or on the cover of "his" book lying around) and the characters talk about his character. So he stays in mind. ;) And he's also part of a great ensemble. Dolph's character is - like almost all characters in this movie - a caricature with some funny and some not so funny moments. That's what I like about it. He gets normal moments, neither the "hero mode" nor "clown mode". And he is convincing.

I was quite surprised about Johnny Knoxville. Still didn't manage to watch Jackass and somehow I didn't notice him in Walking Tall back when I watched that one. So I had this image about him in my head that was wiped away with the first scene. He has something very friendly about him that I hadn't expected. Also he was much taller than the rest of the cast. Checking IMDB it says that he's 1,85m (6'1) which is tall but not gigantic. So the rest of the cast must have consisted of dwarves. ;-P Amanda Plummer, who is 14 years older than Johnny, played his mother. That was kind of weird because although she was dressed like an old woman her face looked younger than Johnny's. Guess it might be different life styles. ;-)

It was a big cast and every single one, famous or not, was really, really good. Didn't say much about Matt Lucas, Billy Christal, James Caan or Peter Stormare. Of course they were brilliant. But so were all the others. It's an odd gem. Made me laugh and cry. In all this oddity I related to these weirdos who just tried to find a happy or at least decent life somewhere in this unlikely place.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 17 Oct 2014, 21:48

Glad you enjoyed it!
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Dawn on 10 Jan 2015, 22:28

Mosquito, I liked it a lot as well. I thought it was a great little movie when I had a chance to see the screening here in Kansas CIty. I recently watched it again on Netflix where I got to see a scene of Dolph on the plane at the ending which was not in the theatrical release.

It's one of those movies that I think actually speaks to life. It functions better than most dark comedy that I have seen. Generally, I hate dark comedy and I loved this movie.
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 12 Jan 2015, 14:54

Dawn wrote:I recently watched it again on Netflix where I got to see a scene of Dolph on the plane at the ending which was not in the theatrical release.

So even the for the limited release it that scene was cut? Well it does makes sense since they probably used a DCP base on the same master as the Blu-ray one...

So region 1 DVD or Netflix if you want to watch the uncut version.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Dawn on 12 Jan 2015, 16:37

Yes, the producers mentioned the cut scene with Dolph at the screening. I am wondering if all the screenings were by done by the same company? It was not something Alamo Drafthouse brought in themselves.
I was really hoping they would have the cut scene on Blu Ray, but when I saw it wouldn't be, I decided not to buy the Blu-Ray. I am curious if I can buy a Digital HD (perhaps the Vudu HDX version) that has the scene. If anyone knows if its included, I would love to know before buying.

On that subject, perhaps we could start a Digial Movie thread? Seems to be taking off now. I have started building that collection, but I suspect I will need to keep my Dolph DVDs from quite some time since many of those may not be offered due to lack of demand. I am keeping my fingers crossed for MOTU. :)
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 12 Jan 2015, 16:48

Dawn wrote:Yes, the producers mentioned the cut scene with Dolph at the screening.

Do you remember if they mentioned anything about the reason/cause behind it?
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Dawn on 12 Jan 2015, 17:26

I'll see if they mentioned it during the session that I recorded. I recorded the Q & A. One of the producers did not seem to have a high opinion of Dolph. Let me know if you have a Dropbox. I can send the mp3 to you.
Dolph Aficionado
Dawn
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 26 Jan 2015, 13:32

From Jonas Åkerlund's website:

Advance artwork?

Dr Sage Mennox books 8) :mrgreen:

Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 21 Aug 2015, 08:22

I finally got a chance to catch this one on Netflix.

It's incredibly bizarre on the outside, but it has a lot of humanity on the inside. The characters and their situations are all dialled up to 11, but they still resonated as believable.

Dolph was great in his cameo and it was a pleasure to see him sharing a scene with a great actor like James Marsden.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Jox on 21 Aug 2015, 10:14

Did the version you saw contain the last scene between Dolph and Matt Lucas on the plane?
(on the region 1 DVD but not on the Blu-ray editions)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 21 Aug 2015, 10:50

No it did not.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Jox on 21 Aug 2015, 11:06

That's too bad, it's probably one of the best and longest scenes Dolph is in, and it rounds up the film. I still don't know why Sony had it cut, can't figure out what could have offended them...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 22 Aug 2015, 21:32

Jox wrote:That's too bad, it's probably one of the best and longest scenes Dolph is in, and it rounds up the film. I still don't know why Sony had it cut, can't figure out what could have offended them...

Don't think it was Sony; the scene is still intact on the US DVD release. It was Netflix I think who cut the scene. Shame... I didn't know they could that.
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 23 Aug 2015, 22:42

It's Sony (owner of the worldwide rights) who cut it, not Netflix. The R1 DVD is uncut BUT the Blu-ray they released a couple of months later was cut and all the versions released from then on, back then the writer made it sound to me like it was a "sensitive subject matter" without wanting to develop on the topic so I'm assuming they're been some arguments and controversy about it.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 24 Aug 2015, 19:26

Guess this is one of those rare occasions where it's better to own the DVD... Still don't know why that scene was cut. The final scene on the airplane not only showcases some great stuff on Dolph's behalf, but also provides a complete character arc for Matt Lucas' sheltered protagonist. It ultimately COMPLETES the film. Any ideas as to what exactly about that scene was deemed "controversial" or "sensitive" in "subject matter"?

Guess this serves as word of advice: get your hands on the cheap R1 DVD.
savagesketch

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies