ELECTRIC BOOGALOO (Mark Hartley, 2014, documentary)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO (Mark Hartley, 2014, documentary)

Postby savagesketch on 23 Jul 2015, 21:23

Hmmm... For whatever reason Amazon has pulled the capability of pre-ordering this...
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 26 Jul 2015, 19:48

Electric Boogaloo will play theatrically on September 18th at the Sunshine Cinema in New York and the Landmark in Los Angeles (possibly for Oscar qualifying, as September 30th is typically the cutoff for documentaries). Tickets for the September 17th advance screening are on sale at Landmark Theatres' website.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=242828&page=7

http://www.landmarktheatres.com/new-yor ... c-boogaloo

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 02 Aug 2015, 11:46

US trailer - in select theaters September 18, 2015, on Digital HD or Blu-Ray 9/29

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 03 Aug 2015, 09:12

US backcover:

(click to enlarge)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 17 Aug 2015, 09:51

US cinema release for Cannon doc
[Mon 17/08/2015 3:12 PM]

By Don Groves

Hollywood studios rarely release theatrical documentaries so Mark Hartley is chuffed to be invited to Los Angeles next month for the premiere of his profile of the 1980s filmmaking machine run by Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus.

Warner Bros. is launching Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-igpjqR ... e=youtu.be) in 17 US cities on September 17.

Hartley and his producer, Wildbear Entertainment’s Veronica Fury, found an ally in Brett Ratner and James Packer’s RatPac Entertainment, which co-finances films with WB.

Ratner contacted Hartley when he read a story in Variety about Drafthouse Films acquiring the US rights to the doc. Subsequently a big piece of the Australian funding fell through when Screen Australia declined to invest in the project (although the agency later put up completion funds).

Drafthouse agreed to step aside, realising that RatPac's investment was the only way the film would get financed, as Ratner agreed to co-produce via RatPac Documentary Films. Ratner saw a rough cut and made some helpful suggestions about elaborating on Cannon’s demise at the end.

The studio is assembling a panel of Cannon veterans for the Q&A with Hartley at Landmark Cinemas on September 17, and he hopes Ratner will take part.

On September 29 the doc will get a further promotional push by Warner Bros as part of the DVD and Blu-ray release of 10 Cannon films including Cobra, Delta Force, Bloodsport, Hitman and Hellbound. Electric Boogaloo will also be available as a stand-alone disc.

Golan and Globus, the Israeli-born cousins nicknamed the ‘Go-Go Boys,’ bought Cannon in 1979, moved to the US and churned out dozens of films, mostly cheap and rapidly-shot.

Meanwhile Hartley is developing Monster Business, a thriller scripted by Shayne Armstrong and Shane Krause, who co-wrote Bait 3D and Greg Mclean’s US pic 6 Miranda Drive.

The plot follows a writer who gets writer’s block and needs some persuasion to put words on the page. The trio is finishing the vision statement and will soon shop the project to producers.

Also on his slate is a chase pic which started out as a remake of Fair Game, Mario Andreacchio’s 1985 action/horror film, for producer Antony I. Ginnane, written by Justin King, who scripted Hartley’s Patrick reboot.

Fury produced Neon, Lawrence Johnston’s lyrical documentary on the fading craft of neon, which premiered at MIFF. Mongrel Media is handling international sales and will use festivals as a launch pad. Ronin Films is planning a theatrical release early next year.

http://if.com.au/2015/08/17/article/US- ... FTGUC.html
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 01 Sep 2015, 09:52

The US edition will have 25 miniutes of deleted scenes, which is more than the German edition. The DVD is at $8.99 on Amazon now.
http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Boogaloo ... PDKIKX0DER

US theatrical screenings:
http://l.email-warnerbros.com/YesConnec ... ersion=web

The first night is September 17 and the showings will take place at selected Landmark theatres throughout the country.

List of theatres:

Baltimore - Harbor East
Chicago - Century Centre Cinema
Dallas - The Magnolia Theatre
Denver - Mayan Theatre
Houston - River Oaks Theatre
Los Angeles - The Landmark
Minneapolis - Edina Cinema
New York City - Sunshine Cinema
San Diego - Hillcrest Cinemas
San Francisco - Embarcadero Center Cinema
San Francisco Peninsula - Guild Theatre
St. Louis - Tivoli Theatre
Washington D.C. - E Street Cinema

Start time is 7 P.M. local time.

The second night is September 23 and takes place at Alamo Drafthouse locations.

List of locations and start times:

Austin - Theater and start time unavailable at time of post.
Kalamazoo - 7 P.M.
Kansas City - 10 P.M.
New York City: Yonkers location - 8 P.M.
Washington D.C. - 7:30 P.M.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby viendammage on 07 Sep 2015, 18:12

Got my tickets for Los Angeles! Roger Corman, Mark Helfrich, Lucinda Dickey and MICHAEL DUDIKOFF in attendance with director Mark Hartley. Big week for Dolph between Boogaloo, Masters of the Universe screening next night then War Pigs as well.
I kick ass, or kiss ass... and I'm busting heads! http://viendammage.blogspot.com/
viendammage

Postby Jox on 24 Sep 2015, 02:28

Q&A: Director Mark Hartley on His Cannon Films Documentary “ELECTRIC BOOGALOO,” Part One
http://www.fangoria.com/new/qa-director ... -part-one/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 28 Sep 2015, 18:00

Q&A: Director Mark Hartley on His Cannon Films Documentary “ELECTRIC BOOGALOO,” Part Two
http://www.fangoria.com/new/qa-director ... -part-two/

FANG: Was there anything archival that you weren’t allowed to use?

HARTLEY: There was lots of it; we could hardly get any Israeli footage of Menahem and Yoram pre-Cannon, because Yoram controlled it all, and we weren’t allowed to use it. So certainly, there was a lot of material we couldn’t get our hands on, which does feature in THE GO-GO BOYS. But we unearthed a lot of American footage they hadn’t. It’s funny; people talk about THE GO-GO BOYS being “the official Cannon documentary,” and it’s actually not. In a way, that’s the unauthorized one, because MGM owns the Cannon name, the logo and the footage, and we licensed all that from MGM. So ours is the legitimate, sanctioned Cannon documentary—just not sanctioned by the Go-Go Boys. It’s sanctioned by the people who own Cannon. We cleared every bit of footage in it.

FANG: Was there anything contentious that got cut from the documentary?

HARTLEY: The stuff that was cut out was nothing overly controversial; it was just trimmed for time. I mean, the movie runs 104 minutes, and that’s longer than my other documentaries; I couldn’t push it any further. It’s funny—there’s been some backlash against ELECTRIC BOOGALOO from huge Cannon fans, who feel it’s…not unfair to Cannon, but not reverent enough. I believe it’s fair to the true story of Cannon, and certainly, when you’ve got 100 people who worked there telling the story, who are you going to believe?

People also ask, “Why isn’t it longer?” We’re used to seeing these documentaries on movies now, like the FRIDAY THE 13TH one [CRYSTAL LAKE MEMORIES], which run four hours. But they’re employing fair use; they don’t have to pay for every second of footage. And when you’re paying for every second of footage, it’s very hard to get producers to let you make a 104-minute film. But yeah, everyone goes, “Well, why isn’t BLOODSPORT in it?” Well, it’s in the deleted scenes, along with STREET SMART and other movies.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 06 Oct 2015, 15:54

Jox wrote:60 mins of extras which I hope are not the 10 mins + 50 mins of Cannon trailers edited together... But I think Hartley said they were putting deleted scenes together, that they didn't have time to legaly clear before the other releases.

The only additional deleted scene that is on the US DVD (which has 15 mins instead of 25) is the BLOODSPORT segment and here Sheldon Lettich says why it's not in the final cut:
Mark told me he had put together an entire segment about Bloodsport for the documentary, but at the last minute there was some kind of a legal snafu involving the rights to Bloodsport, and the lawyers at Warner Brothers told Mark he had to yank the entire segment.

http://www.dammagedgoods.com/2015/09/te ... ummer.html
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 26 Nov 2015, 15:10

A few words from Sheldon Lettich responding fairly to comments that the film seems too negative:
Sorry, but not being a "child of the 80's and 90's," I don't have such rosy memories of Cannon movies. A good percentage of them were crap, as the documentary and many of the interviewees rightfully pointed out. As a professional who actually worked for Cannon, knew Menachem and Yoram personally, wrote one of their biggest hits ("Bloodsport"), and filed a lawsuit against them when they blatantly tried to rip me off, I can honestly say that "Electric Boogaloo" is a fair, balanced, and accurate depiction of that company and the two "Go-Go Boys" who ran it.

As for Van Damme being hardly mentioned... Take a look at the Deleted Scenes on the DVD, the one released in the US. There's an entire segment about "Bloodsport" which includes clips from the film and interviews with me and a few other folks who were involved with either Cannon or the movie itself. The director of "Electric Boogaloo," Mark Hartley, apologized to me for that segment not being included in the documentary. There was some kind of a legal snafu that prohibited him from mentioning "Bloodsport." Mark didn't quite understand it himself, but he told me the lawyers at Warner Brothers said it had to be deleted from the film. End of story. Fortunately he managed to find a way to sneak it onto the DVD.

This being a Van Damme fan site, let me repeat what I've said here before and what I also said in my interview as well. Menachem thought Van Damme was a loser -- in his word, "Poison!" -- and that he would never make it as a movie star. All this, of course, prior to the release of "Bloodsport," the success of which made Menachem do a complete 180.

http://thevandammefans.vandammefan.net/ ... post631230

Let me add one more anecdote. I'm sure many of you already know that "Double Impact" was originally a Cannon project, titled "The Corsican Brothers." Menachem ultimately decided not to make the movie, after commissioning a screenplay and sending JC and myself to France and Corsica to do some preliminary scouting. They even made a poster for the movie, which was slated to run in the trade papers, but was pulled at the last minute when Menachem decided to can the project. His reason? "Van Damme can't even play one character, how do you expect him to play two?!"

http://thevandammefans.vandammefan.net/ ... post631248
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies