TED Talk: "On healing and forgiveness" (2015)

This is a free-for-all discussion area, with no set topic, just anything & everything DOLPH!

Moderator: Moderators

TED Talk: "On healing and forgiveness" (2015)

Postby Jox on 29 Jul 2015, 15:34

TEDxFulbright ‏@tedxfulbright Jul 27
We are proud to announce that Fulbrighter and actor @Dolph_Lundgren will speak at #TEDxFulbright on Sep. 26 in LA. http://www.tedxfulbright2015.com

Do you want to find out the name of a very special speaker who will be on stage in L.A. on Sep 26th at ‪#‎TEDxFulbright‬? Did you know he is not only a renowned actor but also a Fulbrighter? Please watch, share and like the new version of our promo video and don't miss the opportunity to attend a mind-blowing experience and learn all about our featured speaker's ‪#‎fightsworthfighting‬. Buy your tickets now at http://www.tedxfulbright2015.com/#!register/c1xmw
Jox
Site Admin

Re: Guest speaker at TEDxFullbright on September 26th

Postby Jox on 01 Aug 2015, 16:28

Announcing actor Dolph Lundgren as featured speaker for TEDxFulbright
Shaz Akram, Senior Director - Fulbright Association (July 29, 2015)

The Fulbright Association and the TEDxFulbrigh team are thrilled to announce special TEDxFulbright speaker: Dolph Lundgren who will be on stage in Los Angeles this September. Not only is Dolph a renowned actor… he is also a Fulbrighter. Best known for his performance in Rocky IV as Stallone’s Russian opponent Ivan Drago, Dolph has built quite a career as an international action-hero and starred in over 50 films. Equally impressive, is that he was awarded a Fulbright to MIT after graduating at the head of his class in chemical engineering at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm. He also completed an exchange program with the University of Sydney. A highly accomplished author, athlete, actor and producer, Dolph is proud of his recent film Skin Trade on human trafficking that he produced, co-wrote and starred in to share his concern about this Fight Worth Fighting. Join us at the Broad Stage in Los Angeles on September 26 to hear Dolph talk about his Fights Worth Fighting. .

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 26 Sep 2015, 22:53

Watch it live here at 2-3.30 pm PST:
http://t.co/coRO087DOl

rehearsal

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 27 Sep 2015, 10:55

Watch Dolph's speech on the first streaming playback video (starting at 01hour 02 mins),
it's pretty good, sincere and emotional:
http://www.tedxfulbright2015.com/

Jox
Site Admin

Postby preacher on 27 Sep 2015, 12:32

Wow.
That was actually awesome.
Dolph is a very good speaker. Relaxed, funny, moving and not overly sentimental.
All these anecdotes that we the fans have heard many times before get filled with new meaning being put in context.
He comes across as sincere. Not flaunting this to get sympathy.
It's good that this story (which is the same one he told in his swedish radio program) is now told in english in this type of context. It really is a story worth sharing.

What's news to me is that the guy was "miserable most of the time" for the longest period.
He has come a long way, even since he first opened up about the abuse. Good for him! Brave.
preacher
Regular

Postby bomaz on 27 Sep 2015, 13:46

Wow, thats impressive indeed.
bomaz

Postby Jox on 27 Sep 2015, 14:43

preacher wrote:It's good that this story (which is the same one he told in his swedish radio program) is now told in english in this type of context. It really is a story worth sharing.

And he goes a bit further than he what he told back then since a few years went by and he also came a long way personally since.
Jox
Site Admin

Re: Guest speaker at TEDxFullbright

Postby whiteandblank on 27 Sep 2015, 20:54

Wow. I didn't expect that. Very personal. It takes balls to go out there and say the things he did.
Is there an off switch to your mouth?
whiteandblank

Postby Jox on 01 Oct 2015, 11:12

Unfortunately the video isn't available anymore (I hope it'll pop up on YT as other TED talks), but here's some summary of it:

Actor Dolph Lundgren uncovers his Fight Worth Fighting at TEDxFulbright

http://www.examiner.com/article/actor-d ... xfulbright

Actor, Producer and Director Dolph Lundgren (“Rocky IV” and “The Expendables”) gave a very emotional presentation at TEDxFulbrightSantaMonica at The Broad Stage last Saturday, September 26, 2015, that was organized by the Fulbright Association. In front of a packed audience of Fulbright Association alumni, scholars and social impact leaders, the room stood still for 15 minutes while Dolph uncovered why human trafficking is his “Fight Worth Fighting.”

In the spirit of TED's focus on sharing “ideas worth spreading” and the Fulbright Association's promotion of “life long learning”, TEDxFulbright presented 17 speakers who spoke about their #FightsWorthFighting in this life changing event.

When we spoke to Philip Rakita (Treasurer and Member of Fulbright Association Board of Directors) during lunch, he explained, “The Fulbright Association is an alumni association. We are people who participated in the program, and for us, it was a transformational life experience. Living four months in Moscow in 1976 was an adventure. As members, we continue to live in the spirit Senator Fulbright intended, which is to increase the understanding of peoples of the world.”

When Dolph Lundgren took center stage, he shared his very personal story about growing up in Sweden with a father who beat him, and why this experience led him down the path to fight against human trafficking. Dolph described the impact of his father’s violence this way, “It’s like a gazelle taken by a lion. You just freeze, and your emotions are bottled up inside.”

At the age of 11-12, Dolph moved in with his grandparents in the north of Sweden, and his long healing process started. And he always remembered his father telling him, “If you want to be somebody, you’ve got to go to America.”

To get to America, Dolph applied for scholarships, and attended Washington State University and Clemson. Dolph added, “And finally, I got a Fulbright Scholarship to MIT, which is the reason why I’m standing here.”

During the last year of his masters, Dolph was studying engineering at the University of Sydney and worked extra as a bouncer (which helped him become “a pretty good fighter.”) He got hired to work at special events, which is where he met Jamaican singer Grace Jones.

While living with Grace Jones in New York City, Dolph’s life changed forever. He went to Studio 54, and met David Bowie, Michael Jackson and Andy Warhol (who put Dolph in his magazine). Suddenly, Dolph was not excited to go back to engineering at school.

His agent got him into “Rocky IV”, but he was still haunted by his past for many years. Dolph explained that when he came out of the theater with Grace people starting taking photos of him as a “movie star”,- “but the problem was this….that frozen part of me starting coming out and running my life.”

Dolph expanded, “What happens is when you have a trauma, it’s like a soldier with post traumatic stress, you end up acting with some escape behavior. When you’re trying to escape from something you can’t escape from, there’s anxiety, drinking, sexual affairs, over-eating, violence, you name it…And 25 years later, 45 movies later, yeah, I was a movie star, but I was miserable,….and I didn’t know how to get out of it.”

Luckily, five years ago, two things happened to Dolph. His “buddy” Sylvester Stallone called about “The Expendables”, and he fell in love with a girl that he did not want to loose. As a result, Dolph took up therapy and meditation that “totally changed his life.” He also asked for forgiveness from his kids and ex-wife, and forgave his dad.

Dolph started embarking on this new life to heal himself, and reflected, “Once you start healing yourself, you feel better.”

And then he realized there was another level in the healing. Dolph wrote and produced a movie called “Skin Trade” about human trafficking. Dolph expanded, “And I learned about human trafficking, which is a terrible crime. There are 20 million slaves in the world today. It’s a $20 million industry, second largest in the world. These people are physically humiliated, psychologically abused to have no self worth, sort of like I used to feel.”

When he came back to Los Angeles, Dolph reached out to CAST (Coalition to Abolish Slavery and Trafficking), and has been helping them ever since.

As Dolph closed, he emphasized, “I guess the experience I’m talking about is you have to come to terms with yourself. You have to love yourselves to appreciate those things in others. If you heal yourself, you can love others.”

As the audience cheered, Dolph got very teary on stage and Speaker Coach for TEDxFulbright, John K Bates hugged him and moderated a post TEDxFulbrightSantaMonica talk Q&A.

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 08 Oct 2015, 22:56

Jox wrote:Unfortunately the video isn't available anymore (I hope it'll pop up on YT as other TED talks),

Here it is, if you haven't seen it it's a MUST SEE!
(Dolph starts at 1h02mins)
http://livestream.com/tedx/events/4280988 8)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 14 Oct 2015, 13:07

I just discovered today there's TedX events all over the world (and even in my "little" french town). A shame Dolph doesn't do a "TedxX tour" :P
bomaz

Postby Jox on 14 Oct 2015, 20:59

I'm glad I had a small hand in making this event happen by not dismissing the invitation when it came in last January.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Travis on 17 Oct 2015, 17:24

Is the video online anywhere currently?
Travis
Regular

Postby bomaz on 18 Oct 2015, 17:09

But you don't have the most emotionnal part of it
bomaz

Next