LEGENDARY (Eric Styles, 2013)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: LEGENDARY (Eric Styles, 2013)

Postby Jox on 21 Nov 2014, 12:04

UK release February 23, 2015 (Anchor Bay)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Legendary-Tomb- ... h+lundgren
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 17 Dec 2014, 10:03

Australian front & back cover

(click to enlarge)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 08 Jan 2015, 20:32

Jox wrote:UK release February 23, 2015 (Anchor Bay)

Delayed in its own country of origin: 20 July 2015 (more than two years after completion)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 07 Apr 2015, 22:53

Jox wrote:
Jox wrote:UK release February 23, 2015 (Anchor Bay)

Delayed in its own country of origin: 20 July 2015 (more than two years after completion)

May 18th...

Anchor Bay used to be such a great company, on par with Criterion but for genre flicks, they put out awesome special editions for movies such as NEAR DARK etc... Now they've become corporate (as part of Starz) and are reduced to do this (UK cover):

I guess it's less bland than the U.S. artwork it's based from but the color scheme is so, so wrong. (The tagline is kinda funny...)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby savagesketch on 08 Apr 2015, 05:05

Jox wrote:Anchor Bay used to be such a great company, on par with Criterion but for genre flicks, they put out awesome special editions for movies such as NEAR DARK etc... Now they've become corporate (as part of Starz) and are reduced to do this (UK cover):

Yet anymore they seem to be the only company who put out DTV genre films. It used to be Sony who led the way in the DTV genre market, yet they seem to have moved away from that area. Granted, for the most part, Sony's releases were pretty barebones and corporate as well, but they could at least be counted on. Now, it seems that Anchor Bay and Entertainment One are the only distributors can be counted on. Honestly though, I see even their days being numbered with VOD being so readily available.
savagesketch

Postby Jox on 15 Apr 2015, 11:38

Received a 15 certificate from the BBFC:
LEGENDARY is a fantasy thriller in which a team of marine biologists look for a mythical reptilian beast that is allegedly wreaking havoc in rural China.

VIOLENCE
There is a scene of strong gore when the corpse of a victim of the monster is seen in a forensic lab, with his chest ripped open. There are some close up shots as a character picks at the gory chest cavity and retrieves a giant tooth. There are also some scenes of moderate violence and threat, with the monster attacking various human characters without any detail of bloody injury.

There are uses of mild bad language (eg 'shit', 'ass', 'son of a bitch').

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/legendar ... bfcinsight
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 20 Jun 2015, 18:25

Paul Leonard-Morgan's soundtrack CD is at 10€ instead of 15€ this week
http://kronosrecords.com/specoffwk.html

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 21 Jun 2015, 15:25

UK full cover

(click to enlarge)
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 08 Nov 2015, 11:34

I finally caught this one and I must say it's a refreshing change of pace over heroin, rape and sodomy. It was a pretty well made, fun adventure film. Stylistically it was similar to the recent Godzilla movie which keeps the monster off screen and builds on the mystery and characters. Dolph was clearly enjoying himself here.

I'd love for him to do something else like this again, a treasure hunt film, or something with more sense of adventure at any rate. It wasn't a masterpiece, but it was unpretentious fun.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Jox on 08 Nov 2015, 11:51

If it wasn't for the childish premise and characters, this was high in production value despite what everyone says (and I don't focus on the CGI which aren't are that bad IMHO (the design is more of an issue), back in my day they didn't exist yet so even when they were emerging you had weird animated creatures like two-headed dragon in WILLOW)...
dude hallenbeck wrote:I'd love for him to do something else like this again, a treasure hunt film, or something with more sense of adventure at any rate. It wasn't a masterpiece, but it was unpretentious fun.
Last year while he was filming his cameo on near the Red Sea for the Russian comedy MALCHISHNIK / BACHELOR PARTY, he said something to me about scouting locations for a project about Egyptian treasure hunters...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 08 Nov 2015, 12:15

The premise itself had potential. It's nearly identical to Godzilla's last year. But they took it more seriously (BTW, as a personal recommendation, I think you would really like Gareth Edwards' debut film Monsters, a sci-fi romance) and had a bigger scale. But, this is clearly a more family orientated film.

I couldn't complain about the CGI that much, the bears at the start where obviously CGI, but they looked just fine. The creature design was lame, but probably done so for the sake of the younger viewers.

As for a potential Egyptian treasure hunting film, I can't imagine that with the political turmoil going on there now.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Jox on 08 Nov 2015, 12:23

dude hallenbeck wrote: But, this is clearly a more family orientated film.

Nothing wrong with a family film, but what I don't like is when it makes an excuse for something immature and silly whereas "family" or "children" oriented doesn't mean it has to be dummed down.
As for a potential Egyptian treasure hunting film, I can't imagine that with the political turmoil going on there now.
Right. They'd have to shoot somewhere else and fake it.
The creature design was lame, but probably done so for the sake of the younger viewers.
Like I said it's the "design" that wasn't great, and again does it have to look silly because it's for youngsters? What does it even have anything to do with it? You can design a half decent monster without going all gory about it. I don't know about kids today but personally I used to hate programs that took kids for having a cheese brain and soul.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 08 Nov 2015, 13:02

You actually make very good points. They didn't dumb down the shark in Jaws to make the children happy.

I also believe because this was a Chinese co-production, which explains the silliness. Their sense of humour is very broad and cheesy. I can't sit though Jackie Chan's 80's/90's Hong Kong films because of the atrocious humour.
dude hallenbeck

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies