DARK ANGEL 2 / I COME IN PEACE 2 (1995-2018?) (unproduced)

Got some new info on the man? Curious to find out what's new? Check in here!

Moderator: Moderators

DARK ANGEL 2 / I COME IN PEACE 2 (1995-2018?) (unproduced)

Postby Jox on 02 Nov 2015, 15:20

Here is what I wrote about the aborted sequel in my booklet for the DARK ANGEL German/Austrian blu-ray (NSM Records):
THE UNPRODUCED SEQUEL
There have been several attempts to do a sequel over the years and it seems a lot of the fans have asked for it. Craig R. Baxley was even called to do it when he was making Stephen King’s Storm of the Century in the late nineties, but that ended there when they told him the budget would only be $3 million. The rights were also entangled with numerous entities so it has never come to be. Dolph Lundgren was not to be involved and it's very likely Lundgren had turned them down for a sequel, as he did with the aborted Masters Of The Universe 2, and the unrelated Red Scorpion 2.

In 1995-96, the former C.E.O. of Dino De Laurentiis’ company Stephen Greenwald set up his own production house/venture and secured the rights to the original. Greenwald hired Harv Zimmel (Shoot To Kill), a friend of Jonathan Tydor to write a script for a sequel… with new characters. Zimmel tells that “it took place in a small seaside California town and the protagonist was to be a dried up, washed up, about- to-be-fired city detective who is assigned to look into the disappearances of a number of prostitutes and homeless persons. Although it seemed to be a thankless, dead end assignment, the veteran cop finally figures out what is going on with the help of a beautiful (but extremely "strange") policewoman who claims to be working for Interpol... It turns out that she too is an alien who has come to earth seeking the capture of one of her kind (also a beautiful but evil alien)...”, said Zimmel. Although the company was very pleased with the script that Zimmel wrote, nothing came of it as they could not raise the money for the production.

In summer 1996, French magazine Mad Movies reported that Brigitte Nielsen was attached, with Matthias Hues as well. Other attempts have been made. Hues tried to get it off the ground himself with MGM (which inherited the Orion Pictures catalog, part of which Dark Angel became when Moshe Diamant & Sarlui's Vision International folded). The former German athlete even tried to develop a video game sequel in the early 2000s.

- Excerpt from booklet liner notes "The Making of DARK ANGEL" by Jérémie Damoiseau, Blu-ray/DVD, NSM Records, 2014
Jox
Site Admin

Re: DARK ANGEL 2 / I COME IN PEACE 2 (1995-1997) (unproduced

Postby Jox on 14 Mar 2016, 10:31

Matthias Hues still trying to get a DARK ANGEL / I COME IN PEACE off the ground...
Budomate:
WOW! I took a look at your updated profile on IMDB and saw you have around 15 movies in production! How you can handle it, is there any particular project that you want to tell about?

Matthias:
Yes a lot to do. I am now a screen writer with Leslie together and our scripts get traction. Are being shopped around in A level circuit and inches away from being picked. So we are non stop creating franchise scripts, all action based for characters like myself, Liam Neeson, Jason Statham, and others like him. But number one on the list is I Come In Peace 2. The only one we do not have a script for as we now concentrating on the finance and package part. Want Dolph back and so on… keep your fingers crossed, we need it.

http://budomate.com/matthias-hues-interview/

It's been said enough, NOW it's been done. "Working feverish on original idea for possible another chapter of the great Dark Angel Saga, Stay tuned ! YOU won't regret the wait....!

Matthias Hues on FB:
Jox
Site Admin

Re: DARK ANGEL 2 / I COME IN PEACE 2 (1995-1997) (unproduced

Postby Jox on 19 Mar 2016, 12:04

Hues sent this to Impact:
“Why do things take two decades to happen? I want to think it’s to bring the barrel to to the boil and have it explode as it starts to spill over! Too many fans have asked for it. I have done more than 30 films and no matter where I go in the world, it’s always “Hey Dude, I come in Peace!’ I have gotten so used to hearing it, that it will feel so natural to start saying it again. (Or perhaps something else that two decades from now another generation will shout after me when i walk down the streets or some dark alley!) We start this year! So I need to start warming up my legs, because I remember there was a lot of running and jumping! I COME IN PEACE Sincerely, Matthias Hues”

Details are still under wraps but Hues sounds very optimistic when posting that news on his official Facebook and Twitter pages. It would seem that the producers of the original movie are teaming up with Mathias to finally move forward with another Dark Angel movie. Stay tuned for more news!

http://www.impactonline.co/film/8898-ma ... es-sequel/
Jox
Site Admin

Re: DARK ANGEL 2 / I COME IN PEACE 2 (1995-2016) (developmen

Postby bomaz on 19 Mar 2016, 13:11

I doubt it, but given his fondness of the movie, could Dolph be back for this ?
(and as much as Matthias seems to be a genuinely nice guy, maybe we should take this with a pinch of salt).
As for the producers, given they haven't made significiant movies for a long time (except Mark Damon), patience should a master word for this project.
bomaz

Postby Jox on 19 Mar 2016, 13:42

bomaz wrote: (and as much as Matthias seems to be a genuinely nice guy, maybe we should take this with a pinch of salt).

FOR SURE... and even if this is serious (and this seems more so than when he talked about it 10 years ago), it's never a done deal until cameras are rolling.

You gotta give Hues props for pushing this all those years despite the odds and legal issues to overcome to secure the rights to produce a sequel.

If this gets real, it would also need be a competent production and not too cheap, which I'm afraid it would be, including horrendous CGI (not mention the script might suck and I always say doing a sequel 10, 20 or 25 years later is not such a great idea, and I doubt John Hyams is behind this to take us by surprise haha)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 13 May 2016, 16:06

Scott Lugo‎ Matthias, rumor has it that they are making another I come in peace movie,is this true?

Matthias Hues Indeed producers got to together and working on it..... !
May 9 at 10:56pm

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 03&fref=ts
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 25 May 2016, 18:15

Dolph on the announced sequel:
FF: Ein anderer Film von Dir, der über die Jahre zum Kult wurde, ist Dark Angel. Der Darsteller des Bösewichts aus dem Film, Matthias Hues, hat vor einiger Zeit angekündigt, dass eine Fortsetzung in Planung sei. Kannst Du dazu was sagen?

DL: Nein, ich weiß nichts davon, aber ich finde, dass e seine tolle Idee wäre. Ich schreibe mir das sofort auf. (lacht)

Google translation
(if someone can give us a more accurate translation it would be great):
FF: Another film of yourself, has been over the years a cult, is Dark Angel . The performer of the villain from the movie, Matthias Hues, announced some time ago that a continuation in planning was. Can you to say something?

DL : No, I know nothing about it, but i think that it could be a cool idea. I write this down immediately. (Laughs)

http://www.filmfutter.com/kindergarten- ... interview/
Jox
Site Admin

Re: DARK ANGEL 2 / I COME IN PEACE 2 (1995-2016?) (developme

Postby Jox on 18 Apr 2017, 13:19

Matthias Hues' latest comments on his long shot sequel wish:
FCSyndicate: You teased sequel development last Spring for your hit 1990 movie, Dark Angel, also known as I Come In Peace here in the states. Can you give us any updates?
MH: Yes, it's been tossed around so many times and each time it is so close and so real. I mean you will not understand how real and close it is and then something happens. Usually it's the final call of getting the rights - it's never short on someone to finance it but the last hurdle so far now is the rights. The rights are with Warner Bros. and Warner will not sell anything. Period. And if they don't do it, no one ever will, so lets see who can make that call... Whoever it is must have a lot of clout, so lets hope for it. I know Dolph has said that from all of his movies, this is the one he would consider making a sequel for.

Yet I knew it was sketchy with getting the rights, and from what I heard several times when a major studio like Warner doesn't want to sell, they won't, no matter how much money you'll toss at them, they just don't want you to profit from something they own even if they don't do anything with it... I doubt it will ever happen.

FCSyndicate: What is it you miss the most about playing an killer badass alien?
MH: All of it. It was my favorite role and my favorite character, and I simply miss the adreneline rush doing it. I was so into it anr so committed. At times against all odds and what I constantly overheard were the stunt people whispering to the director, "but it's not safe enough" and him saying "he just needs to be faster then". So yes, I was alive every second. Didn't want to die there, but it gave me wings. I really, really miss it.

Funny thing is the BLACK ROSE movie that Hues is currently in with Alexender Nevsky and Kristanna Locken was submitted to Dolph back in 2008 when he was in Moscow for COMMAND PERFORMANCE pick-up shots...
Jox
Site Admin

Re: DARK ANGEL 2 / I COME IN PEACE 2 (1995-2016?) (unproduce

Postby Jox on 29 May 2017, 08:57

Matthias Hues:
BK: Do you enjoy playing villains?

MH: Yes all the time, even 20 years later, strange but cool. I loved the characters and am pleased to see they left such an impression over the years. Especially Dark Angel, or I Come in Peace, which was my all-time favorite film I have ever shot in my career. I am seeking to do something one day that has a similar impact that is for sure.

BK: Will we ever get an I Come in Peace 2? Every so often there’s a rumor that it’s happening.

MH: Yes part two has been so close. I stopped counting how many times we almost shot it. Different cast, different producers. We seem to all have the problem to secure the rights with Warner Brothers. I keep my fingers crossed so. Please do the same

BK: Do you have a favorite personal performance?

MH: I liked Alone in the Woods, a comedy I shot ten years or so ago. I love being comedic. But of course playing Dark Angel, Talec was my all-time favorite.

I never forgot the director from I Come in Peace (Craig R. Baxley) saying to me, “I want everyone in the world to see it’s you doing all the action, not a stuntman. And if this means you die doing them you weren’t simply not fast enough.” I mean, literally, I remember the stunt people saying Matthias will never make it in these scenes. It is going to blow him right up and he turned to me knowing I overheard everything from my chair and said, “Then you just have to run faster, got that Matthias!” I lived by his words and this has always been my mantra since. Give it hell!

https://411mania.com/movies/action-star ... lack-rose/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby TEMIRLAN on 29 May 2017, 09:44

i actually would love to see the sequel with dolph again. they both look still youg enogh to do it.

i read this is STEPHEN KING'S one of the favourite sy-fy movies.
TEMIRLAN

Postby Jox on 29 May 2017, 16:20

TEMIRLAN wrote:i read this is STEPHEN KING'S one of the favourite sy-fy movies.

That's very surprising, where did you read that? :shock:
Jox
Site Admin

Postby TEMIRLAN on 29 May 2017, 16:33

in the biggest russian movie site KINOPOISK.

https://www.kinopoisk.ru/film/24948/
TEMIRLAN

Postby Jox on 29 May 2017, 16:48

Hummm, I wouldn't take it for granted.

I couldn't find any other reference on the net. The only connections are that director Craig Baxley later adapted Stephen King for TV and there's a line in his DREAMCATCHER novel that says “I come in peace for all mankind" (but that doesn't mean anything)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 05 Sep 2018, 20:15

What a dedication! Last time he mentioned it he told that the problem was that WB/MGM would never let go off the rights even though they wouldn't do anything with it.

Interestingly Moshe Diamant was (uncreditedly) one of the producers on the original (the producing company Vision International was his with partner Mark Damon)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Moltisanti on 06 Sep 2018, 04:19

One small step for man...
Moltisanti
Regular

Next

Return to News / Rumors