THE EXPENDABLES 3 (Patrick Hughes, 2014)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: THE EXPENDABLES 3 (Patrick Hughes, 2014)

Postby Jox on 16 Mar 2015, 18:49

BD/DVD Japanese release

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 10 Apr 2015, 17:58

UK Arrest Made in ‘Expendables 3′ Leak, Sylvester Stallone Thanks Police
http://deadline.com/2015/04/uk-arrest-m ... 013a643230
A man has been arrested in the UK in connection with the illegal leak of Expendables 3 and other films. The arrest is the result of a joint investigation between the UK’s Police Intellectual Property Crime Unit (PIPCU) and US Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) and the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA). The 26-year-old man, whose name has not been released yet, was arrested at his workplace in Leeds on the morning of March 9. His Halifax home was also searched for evidence of wrongdoing.

“I’d like to thank the Police Intellectual Property Crime Unit (PIPCU) at the City of London Police for working with US Homeland Security Investigations to apprehend the suspect in this case,” Sylvester Stallone, who wrote and starred in Expendables 3 said in a statement released to the press. “It is important to protect the rights of creatives around the world from theft.”

PIPCU was launched in September 2013 with funding from the Intellectual Property Office (IPO) and is based within the City of London Police Department’s Economic Crime Directorate.

“Working with law enforcement partners across the world, PIPCU is coming down hard on criminals exploiting intellectual property for their own financial gain and today’s action should serve as a warning to online pirates,” City of London Police Detective Inspector, Mick Dodge, said in the statement. “This joint investigation also demonstrates our close working relationship with the US Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) which was recently marked with the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding.”

Thursday’s arrest stems from a tip-off Homeland Security Investigations officers received in July last year.
Jox
Site Admin

Postby shooby on 10 Apr 2015, 21:36

I don't remeber I see that in the last pages

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mo ... story.html
shooby

Postby Jox on 10 Apr 2015, 22:23

shooby wrote:I don't remeber I see that in the last pages

In the 'interviews' section during the EX3 promo last August... :wink:
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 24 Jul 2015, 18:47

Dolph Lundgren Screen Used 9 Pc. Wardrobe Prop Lot
http://www.icollector.com/The-Expendabl ... _i21831036

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 03 Aug 2015, 18:30

Rare stills and behind the scenes stills (below the FX reel)
http://www.wwfx.net/portfolio/the-expendables-3/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 21 Aug 2015, 21:09

German trilogy boxset to be out for Christmas

EDIT:

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Krom on 29 Aug 2015, 22:33

Is that a mistake? EX2 extended?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (155.61 KiB) Viewed 15786 times
TheArnoldfans.com
Krom
Regular

Postby Jox on 29 Aug 2015, 22:38

I think so (it was meant for EX3):

(btw EX3 should be just called "extended cut" and not "extended director's cut")
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 21 Oct 2015, 08:46

Korean collector edition
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Tom on 15 Jan 2016, 23:33

Jeez...all those old guys in 4k must look frightening. ha ha.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 24 Jan 2016, 10:46

Tom wrote:Jeez...all those old guys in 4k must look frightening. ha ha.

:mrgreen:

3 of the BR/DVD featurettes:

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 19 Mar 2016, 12:49

A breakdown of some of the differences with a previous draft of the script:
http://theactionelite.com/2016/03/the-e ... to-screen/

4K review: not worth it, it seems
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Expen ... 33/#Review

Video Quality
The Expendables 3 4K is presented on UHD 4K Blu-ray courtesy of Lionsgate Films with an HEVC / H.265 encoded 2160p transfer in 2.40:1. IMDb perhaps oddly lists both 5K and 4K source formats from the film's Red Camera capture, with a 4K DI listed from which I assume the master for this release was sourced. While detail levels are often commendably sharp and almost palpable at times, this is the first UHD release I've personally reviewed where the entire palette seems off, at least in comparison to the 1080p Blu-ray iteration. Black levels are at almost milky gray territory here from the get go, as evidenced in even "non film" elements like the black bars masking the 1.78:1 frame of the display to create the 2.40:1 frame of the film itself. Our forum indicates that at least a couple of other members experienced this same phenomenon with this release, but it's the first time anything like this has happened to me. I stuck in another recent Lionsgate UHD 4K release to compare, and the difference, especially with regard to the black bars, was instantly noticeable, something which would seem to indicate on its face that this is a disc issue and not one (at least solely) caused by either the player or the display. Some amelioration of this problem was achieved by tweaking various settings on the Samsung player and the Sony television I'm using, but it probably goes without saying that tweaks like this "shouldn't" be necessary to achieve a decent looking picture. (Word to the wise: make sure to jot down where your settings were to begin with, so that you can reset everything if you decide to change things for this, or any other individual, disc.) Because of this oddness, I actually hesitate to say too much about changes in the palette and/or contrast, especially those that may be attributable to HDR, since even with adjustments I never was able to get this to look exactly like I felt it should (i.e., in terms of palette and/or contrast).

Aside from this kind of peculiar situation (which recalls luma scale idiosyncrasies on such releases as The Twilight Samurai, as well as the much discussed black level deficiencies on Season 8 of The X-Files: The Collector's Set ), there is a definite uptick in detail levels across the board on this release, with elements like the crags and pores in the aging action heroes' faces more textured and nuanced looking. Some CGI elements actually look a little less realistic now, with that painterly or illustration- like ambience that has been previously discussed by several of the Blu-ray.com UHD reviewers now.

Audio Quality
Perhaps balancing qualms about the video quality of this release is the incredibly forceful and fun Dolby Atmos track that The Expendables 3 4K provides. It was also included on the 1080p Blu-ray edition of the film (and is of course included on the "standard" Blu-ray disc which is part of this set), but I didn't yet have a newer receiver capable of decoding Atmos when I did the original Blu-ray review, and I have to say the difference between the Atmos and core Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track, while subtle at times, is instantly noticeable. The huge panning event I mentioned in our original The Expendables 3 Blu-ray review now clearly wafts overhead (as it should, considering the point of view of the opening shot), and the entire first battle scene is filled with fantastically directional effects, including a number assigned specifically to the Atmos speakers (I'm running a 7.1.2 configuration). The set pieces in the film obviously provide a glut of effects heavy sound design, but I was repeatedly struck not just with the excellent immersion, but with the clarity and precision of many of the effects. Dialogue (such as it is in this film) is presented cleanly and with generally excellent prioritization (a couple of overamped moments tend to let spoken words get swallowed in the maelstrom of the other sound effects). Fidelity is top notch and dynamic range extremely wide on this massively enjoyable track.

Special Features and Extras
There are no supplements included on the 4K UHD disc. The 1080p Blu-ray included in this package includes the supplements I detailed in our original The Expendables 3 Blu-ray review.

Overall Score and Recommendation
I probably obviously wasn't that big of a fan of The Expendables 3 to begin with, and little about this new UHD iteration other than the fun Atmos audio track has convinced me to change my mind. The video presentation here is strangely wonky, unlike any other UHD disc I've thus far reviewed (including other Lionsgate titles). Since the standard Blu-ray already offers the great sounding Atmos track, I see little upside to choosing this particular title for early adopters looking for likely upgrade material.
Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies