WELCOME TO WILLITS (Trevor Ryan, 2016)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: WELCOME TO WILLITS (Trevor Ryan, 2016) (filming)

Postby Tom on 07 Feb 2016, 12:25

Well Welcome To Willits is certainly a much better title than Fist Of Justice. ha ha.
I quite like the sound of this idea. Potentially, if done right, this and Don't Kill It could be very enjoyable and a little different for Dolph.
It's a big IF though.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 07 Feb 2016, 12:29

It seems to be quite a small role for an ensemble film where Bill Sage, Rory Culkin, Thomas Dekker have more prominent roles alongside other characters in what to seems to be kind of a teen horror flick in the woods kind of thing though. But like I said I'll take that over the "pedestrian action DTV of the week".
Jox
Site Admin

Postby bomaz on 09 Feb 2016, 14:06

bomaz

Postby Jox on 12 Feb 2016, 16:42

Advance artwork
(click to enlarge)
Jox
Site Admin

Re: WELCOME TO WILLITS (Trevor Ryan, 2016) (in post-product

Postby Jox on 22 Mar 2016, 02:14

Welcome to Willits - Yale Productions
http://www.yaleproductions.com/welcome-to-willits.html

New film “Welcome to Willits” adds aliens to area’s drug culture
http://www.ukiahdailyjournal.com/articl ... /160309876
“Welcome to Willits.”

If two movie-making brothers are successful, that phrase could mean more than a friendly greeting to outsiders passing through town on Main Street.

It is the title of a full-length, in-production movie by Tim and Trevor Ryan, who were born and raised in upstate New York, but have lived in California for many years, including Mendocino County.

Tim, who wrote the screenplay, said he lived in Willits off and on while Trevor, who directs it, has lived in Ukiah. They said those experiences contributed to choosing the town of Willits as the namesake for this movie and a short film that preceded it.

“It dates back several years,” Tim explained in a phone interview. “Willits is part of the ‘Emerald Triangle.’ I was talking with friends and we thought this would be a great place for a horror movie.”

The Emerald Triangle refers to Mendocino, Humbolt and Trinity counties, which long have had a reputation for their marijuana-growing culture.

“Welcome to Willits: After Sundown,” the original short, was a “proof of concept,” Tim explained. “It’s something you create to show to potential fans and others in the industry” to develop a following and possible investors or developers.

The plot of the original was essentially about “a pot grower who doesn’t want people on his land,” Tim said. The story evolves into his being visited by real or imagined space aliens and the paranoia that develops.

The short was presented at the South by Southwest film festival where it attracted the attention of backers for the full-length film.

Despite having Willits in the title, the town sees very little screen time.

“We planned to get some shots in the area, but California has become the most expensive place in the world (to shoot movies),” Tim said. “The cost is high; there are no tax incentives. You go to Louisiana or Georgia, they’re very good for providing tax incentives. That’s good for the local economy, not so good for California.”

The brothers said they contacted Willits about shooting in the town but never heard back from city officials.

“We want to make it clear that we wish we could have shot more there,” Trevor emphasized. “We’re disappointed we couldn’t do more, but we hope people will come out and watch.”

Nevertheless, Willits could have more of a role in the movie.

“We’re planning to come to Willits to get some shots, to capture the feel of the town,” Trevor said.

Trevor said most of the film has been shot and some of it has been sent to an editor to begin the process of creating a rough cut.

The movie has little connection to the original short other than a basic theme.

“It’s sort of a throwback to ‘80s horror films with some science fiction thrown in,” Trevor said.

“When Trevor and I were growing up, we watched a lot of movies like “Nightmare on Elm Street” and “Children of the Corn,” Tim added. “That really influenced us. We like most genres of film but mostly horror.”

The “Welcome to Willits” plot is summarized on IMDb.com: “Deep in the Northern California woods, in the heart of the notorious Emerald Triangle, lies a remote cabin. The residents struggle to fight off the repeated attacks and abductions by mysterious creatures that have plagued them for years. When a local pot farmer is caught up with a wayward group of campers, the situation quickly escalates into total carnage.”

It’s a cautionary story about drugs like meth, Tim explained. It is meant to get across the message that law enforcement should not focus as much on prosecuting marijuana when “meth is really a damaging drug and should draw a little more attention.”

In his role as director, Trevor gives kudoes to the cast, which includes a number of actors with strong resumes.

“I had the pleasure of working with an amazing cast,” Trevor said. “Bill Sage (“American Psycho,” “We Are What We Are”) did a fantastic job as the lead, Brock. Sabina Gadecki (“Entourage”) played his wife, and Anastasia Baranova from the show “Z Nation” played Brock’s niece, Courtney.

“And we were thrilled to get Dolph Lundgren’s involvement. I can’t wait to see how the audience reacts to his work. I think it’s going to be a really special film thanks to all the talented people involved.”

Distribution is uncertain at this point. Trevor Ryan said a deal is in the works with Event Films, which is likely to coincide with a video-on-demand release.

They also said they intend to have one of the first screenings in Willits. “We’d like to reach out to Noyo (Theatre),” Tim added. “We haven’t done that yet.”

Lois Hoover, Noyo owner, said she would be interested in seeing what the filmmakers have in mind.

“I wouldn’t commit to it yet” Hoover said. “I would like to make sure it has a certain level of production value. I’d like to know what they have in mind – a premiere, do they want to make an event of it.”

While the “Willits” films have an attachment to horror and drugs, Tim added, “We think it will get a favorable reaction. It wasn’t meant to reflect negatively on Willits.”
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 05 Jun 2016, 10:31

sergelevinofficialfanpage

Time for some #flashbackfriday Check out this pic of me and #DolphLundgren as we were shooting Welcome To Willits. What an awesome project to be a part of.
#SergeLevin #Memories #Throwback #ActorsLife #Hollywood #flashback

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFFZHUlM5wz/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 12 Jul 2016, 11:17

Welcome to Willits

DecayMag.com: Welcome to Willits seems to take a darker approach than Abysm. The synopsis mentions the “notorious” Emerald Triangle”. Is this based on a real, legendary place, is it inspired by a similar place, or is this completely fictional?

Serge Levin: Yea, that’s fictional that place Willits is real but the Emerald and that whole backstory is fictional it’s based on a short that was also screened at South by Southwest and written and directed by the Ryan Brothers. It’s a throwback to the 80’s in terms of stylistic portrayal of visual effects it’s all practical for the most part and also the look of the film and the feel of the look it’s very retro.

The story is so unique and off, like out of the box that I can’t really reveal too much about it without giving away too much and be introducing spoilers. It is toying with the idea of… again its a very thin line between reality and what you perceive the reality to be in certain circumstances and under certain external factors that you’re not in control over. It is shot in a very interesting location. Actually, it was shot at very different locations. It has a very unique…just like Abysm,….a very unique resolution at the end which I’m sure viewers will not see coming. It’s a ride.

DecayMag.com: The Welcome to Willits official site has a 13-minute teaser video that’s titled Welcome to Willits: After Sundown. Can we expect the full feature film to be just as eerie as this teaser?

Serge Levin: What you actually see is the short film that went to South by Southwest. The actors, it has different actors but the aesthetic yes the practicals like I said through the introduction of the 80’s kinda of like if you remember Videodrome like the earlier David Cronenberg works. All of that was meticulously done on set but of course enhanced by CGI to make it look absolutely flawless and real. Aesthetically it has that feel, that you saw in the short that’s on the site.

http://decaymag.com/2016/06/23/serge-le ... interview/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby dude hallenbeck on 13 Jul 2016, 12:40

Jox wrote:It seems to be quite a small role for an ensemble film where Bill Sage, Rory Culkin, Thomas Dekker have more prominent roles alongside other characters in what to seems to be kind of a teen horror flick in the woods kind of thing though. But like I said I'll take that over the "pedestrian action DTV of the week".

Not only that, the "Small Town Sherriff" role in horror films tends to be either more fun, or more well written, than the typical Serafini cop role too.
dude hallenbeck

Postby Timmy33 on 25 Jul 2016, 11:37

Hey all,

I've never posted on here before and it's sort of a weird thing to navigate from my phone. I came across it sort of accidentally actually. Anyway I wrote "Welcome To Willits" and my brother Trevor directed. I won't say too much about it but I will tell you that is the title. Fists of Justice is a little something that comes into play in the movie. The latter is meant to be a tongue in cheek name so don't worry there.

I'll be sure to post more info on here when the release date nears.

Thanks,
Tim
Timmy33

Postby Jox on 25 Jul 2016, 22:59

Thanks for stopping by Tim, feel free to come back anytime. 8)

Here are two Serge Levin (actor and executive producer) interviews where he talks WTW:

Podcast
http://esopodcast.com/revcast-special-h ... rge-levin/
http://media.blubrry.com/earthstationon ... erview.mp3

Print
http://www.deadburiedandback.com/news/s ... interview/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 13 Oct 2016, 19:50

Premiering at The New York City Horror Film Festival on Friday, November 11th...
https://nychorrorfest.com/movies/welcome-to-willits/

Teaser trailer
https://vimeo.com/185696960

Jox
Site Admin

Re: WELCOME TO WILLITS (Trevor Ryan, 2016) (completed)

Postby Jox on 18 Nov 2016, 14:14

New key art from Cineville Entertainment (FFC, DEAD TRIGGER) who seems to have taken over the international distribution/sales.

Jox
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies