THE DEFENDER (Dolph Lundgren, 2004)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Tom on 09 Nov 2005, 11:58

The problem is that they have to have a minmimum number of people who have seen the film for it to be able to be nominated and I bet nobody has bothered watching it who is reigstered on the DVD awards academy.
Tom
Regular

THE DEFENDER

Postby Travis on 20 Nov 2005, 07:07

I thought this was a really boring film. Also, Dolph looked like hell. He is so skinny he could play Skeletor.
He needs to do karate and hand to hand fighting in his films.
Travis
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 21 Nov 2005, 13:34

It is not his worst movie (that is, I think, the Last Warrior) but it doesn't come close to his best ones. Let's say there's hope.
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Travis on 21 Nov 2005, 23:37

I agree...The Last Warrior is his worst film. I can't tell you how much i hate that film.
Travis
Regular

Postby Jox on 22 Nov 2005, 22:26

No, if you think the defender is boring and sucks, I don't know what won't... 80's are over, the bodybuilding hype is too. Dolph has made more than 20 "Dolph Lundgren movies", I grew up too and had my share, now he can do something else, make art house movies or even play Skeletor I don't mind...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby preacher on 23 Nov 2005, 00:23

Agree with Jox on this one.
Although The Defender is not my favourite movie, it´s good and look very polished.

I think Dolph is one cool guy, and I love seeing him kick-ass but what has made me a real fan of his is his continuing struggle to break free from the stereotype of the buffed-up karate guy.
Not even in his prime he settled for being just an action-man. He really wanted to become an actor and express something.
That may have cost him a career on i A-list but I admire him for it.

peace.
preacher
Regular

Postby Mosquito on 24 Nov 2005, 00:09

Jox wrote:No, if you think the defender is boring and sucks, I don't know what won't... 80's are over, the bodybuilding hype is too.

Yes of course and though I drool every time when I watch Red Scorpion, I also think that he still has an awesome body (not only for his age but in general... most 25 year olds can't compete with such a sixpack). And maybe die hard, brainless action like Men Of War (which I also like very much) isn't hip anymore there's stil a martial arts hype going on. Jet Li can tell you about it. Even Asian productions like Ong Bak can now be very successful in the western world, too. So with Dolph being a real martial arts expert he should PLEASE show us more.

Heck, the Defender had a story but even Men Of War had much more story to tell, right? SILT is so old but it is a great buddy movie and those never die! What about Shanghai Noon? Isn't that a silly martial arts buddy movie? And AFAIK it was very successful.

Give him a big budget and give him a role like St. Andrew Scott or the Street Preacher and he can show what he is capable of! Stop with those sad 800.000 $ productions that drive tears to the fans's eyes!

PS: Just scanned the Capri link you posted, Jox. Dolph in a movie together with Max von Sydow? There's hope!
Mosquito
Site Admin

Postby Terminator on 26 Nov 2005, 18:45

I think the movie "The Defender" was a little "different" to all his other movies... I can't explain, why this impression might be a "negative" one... The first thing is that there's only a short sequence showing his typical "raw" character... I think he was in Afghanistan in a mission, together with a few troopers who were excecuted or somehow...

Dolph is more like mother's boy and not all the toughest in there. He often acted "to calm" if I can remember that... it is a long time ago when I watched this movie the last time.

I liked the cooperation team at the hotel, but it was somewhat confusing first. A strange way to put a frequency satellit on the walls outside. ^^

I am going to watch Rocky IV this weekend, still the best movie Dolph was acting in... By the way, he would have hit the spark if he was acting in "Predator" I was watching yesterday. Fighting together with Arnold, Carl Weathers and Jesse Ventura... but still in the 80s Ivan Drago style... the true military warrior. lol
In hope for someone who could replace the real Dolph one day if he's (hopefully not as soon) out of business...
Terminator
Regular

Postby bomaz on 28 Nov 2005, 21:57

French DVD

1 Bande Annonce ( trailer )
Making of
Bio-filmographies de Dolph Lundgren et Jerry Springer
French / Englsih 5.1
bomaz

Postby Travis on 30 Nov 2005, 18:32

i think the part of him in afgahnistan was the best but it was so breif. I don't think he was very tough in the film either. No one watches Dolph's films to watch him do monologues...they watch them for ass-kicking...and there was none of that in this film. It was a bore, like most of his recent films.
Travis
Regular

Postby Terminator on 01 Dec 2005, 23:55

Yes. I had to watch this movie to remember I was right when I told you he WAS NOT the tough man he always used to be. well.
Maybe my own titlements are far to high... he couldn't be the one he was in movies like Red Scorpion (by the way: while trainiering myself he doesn't seem to have sooo whide shoulders any more... but they ought to show what he's got still, the best body.).
In hope for someone who could replace the real Dolph one day if he's (hopefully not as soon) out of business...
Terminator
Regular

Postby Tom on 02 Dec 2005, 12:32

I think most people enjoyed the Defender because it was well made and it was change of style for a Dolph movie. If you want a badass tough guy Dolph then Mechanik is right up your ally. He breaks peoples arms, stabs them in the neck with daggers etc. Sets people on fire!

The one thing I still have to say though is that Dolph is in great shape. I totoally understand why he isn;t as big as he was when he was bodybuilding. Really he stopped doing it seriously in the early 90's and has gradfually shrunk. Still he is muscular and ripped but more athletically. He looks leaner and more agile. HOWEVER, I do also understand why people will be disapointed if he doesn;t do a lot of martial arts. Still we are treated to snippets at best as in Direct Action and with upcoming Mechanik. It would be good to see him use martial arts to the same extent as Van Damme has done. Dolph's previous excuse was that being a big muscle man it doesn't look realistic but now that shouldn't be a problem.

I'd persojnally like to see him do better projects like Defender and Mechanik and the upcoming Inquiry, where the story plays are more key role, especially if Dolph directs cause he has shown real tlaent. I would like to see him mix it up with some 80's style action a one many army type of film. Whats interesting about his last two films is the fact he is playing a more human character, someone who can't do everything on his own, he needs back up. Dolph heading a team works well.
Tom
Regular

Postby Jox on 23 Dec 2005, 00:32

Jox
Site Admin

Postby Jox on 11 Jan 2006, 00:48

Jox
Site Admin

Postby hansson55 on 12 Jan 2006, 01:12

Nice trailer but the background voice is a bit boring
¤¤¤ It’s from Sweden like me ¤¤¤
hansson55