AQUAMAN (James Wan, 2018)

An area for discussion of Dolph's past, present & future movies!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: AQUAMAN (James Wan, 2017-2018) (in pre-production)

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 21 Apr 2017, 12:10

I'll just say this guys/gals... social media overwhelmingly loves that he's been cast in this movie... I see a lot of people saying Aquaman is the one potential gem in the DC universe outside of batman... and that Dolph could potentially play a bigger role in this film franchise going forward... starting off as a quasi villain in the first film and then if the movie does big numbers being the big baddie in the 2nd film.

I'm telling yall this is the big break we've wanted for him.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby Tom on 21 Apr 2017, 12:15

I actually think as far as DC goes, the secondary characters standalone films sound more enjoyable than the big ones like Batman vs Superman and Justice League. The bigger ones follow that Avengers formula and throw far too much in. Too many characters, too long, but where they differ is in a big lack of fun. They're so relentlessly serious. Plus Zack Snyder is an awful director. He does money shots but doesn't "direct." He made a superman film that was no fun. His other Marvel films look dull too.

The Wonder Woman trailer looks sort of fun, and she went down quite well in BvS. Aquaman has a good director on board and he wants to go for a mix of Romancing the Stone and Indy Jones, so that means he'll opt to make something fun. Hopefully he'll deliver. Plus we've already great Batman and Superman films. Retreading the ground is boring. It's like all these Spiderman reboots all the time. Dull. I'd rather watch something a little different.

And yes, this could mean a recurring role for D. It's a guaranteed box office hit.
Tom
Regular

Postby TEMIRLAN on 21 Apr 2017, 13:14

thanks, jox. however this will be the biggest thing Dolph has ever done. in the ex4 his face and name will be in the poster for sure unless in the ex3.
TEMIRLAN

Postby Jox on 01 May 2017, 13:12

AQUAMAN starts filming this week:
DC Films’ Aquaman will begin filming this week at Village Roadshow Studios in Queensland, Australia.

The new comes from an article in the Courier Mail about the push to authorize more tax rebates to attract more Hollywood Studios to the area for filming.

“The Premier [Annastacia Palaszczuk] is calling on the Federal Government to significantly boost tax incentives for big budget movies to help the Gold Coast become the next ‘Hollywood’.

“The filming of blockbuster Aquaman, starting this week at Village Roadshow Studios, will create more than 600 jobs and inject more than $100 million into the local economy as the city further cements its reputation as a filming destination.”

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/04/30/aqua ... roduction/
Jox
Site Admin

Postby TEMIRLAN on 01 May 2017, 16:17

Finally!
TEMIRLAN

Postby Jox on 01 May 2017, 17:51

While fandom, to say nothing of the Warner Bros. marketing machine, is focused on the June 2 release of “Wonder Woman,” director Patty Jenkins is already looking to the future of the DC Extended Universe, specifically “Justice League” and “Aquaman.”

“I think there’s a lot of directors doing cool things,” she told the Toronto Sun. “I know the storylines for a lot of the films they are working on and they are all vastly different, with very different tones and very different styles of storytelling. … Jason [Momoa] is off to shoot ‘Aquaman’ right now and that’s such a cool story. It’s got its own separate vibe. I’m excited to see each of these films.”

When Jenkins says “right now,” she apparently means right now, as Australia’s Gold Coast Bulletin reports cameras are expected to roll this week on “Aquaman” at Village Roadshow Studios in Queensland, most recently used for “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” and “Thor: Ragnarok.”

As for the film’s vibe, director James Wan has characterized “Aquaman” as “a classic sort of swashbuckling action adventure, sort of high seas adventure story.” “It’s ultimately a quest story in the spirit of ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’ meets ‘Romancing the Stone,'” he said. Screenwriter Will Beal (“Gangster Squad”) later reinforced that tone, calling the film “really fun.” “I think ‘Aquaman’ is one that’s going to blow people’s minds,” he said in January, “not just visually, but I think the story and the scope of it is really great.”

Although few concrete details are known about the film, Momoa recently revealed that “Aquaman” will find the DC Comics hero coming to terms with both his abilities and his place in the world. “The guy was never really accepted on land, and he was never really accepted in Atlantis,” he said. “He’s a half-breed. But he’s the best of both worlds. He just doesn’t know how to handle his powers. So it’s kind of a coming of age for a young man to a man, or a man to a king. He’s lost a lot of things and he’s got to cope. He’s an outsider.”

http://www.cbr.com/aquaman-movie-will-b ... adventure/
Jox
Site Admin

Re: AQUAMAN (James Wan, 2017-2018) (filming)

Postby Jox on 03 May 2017, 11:27

James Wan‏ @creepypuppet

Months of intensive prep have led to this. Here we go. #DayOne #Ahab

Jox
Site Admin

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 03 May 2017, 15:36

Is Dolph already over there Jox?
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby TEMIRLAN on 03 May 2017, 16:38

Same question!
TEMIRLAN

Postby Jox on 03 May 2017, 17:42

Filming is expected to last 4-5 months (until September) so don't freak out if you don't see him there yet. :wink:

The budget is estimated at $160 million which is twice the official number for EXPENDABLES 1 (or three to four times more since we know Nu Image likely didn't pay that much)...
Jox
Site Admin

Postby TEMIRLAN on 03 May 2017, 18:18

this is simply the biggest thing he has ever done. i can't imagine how shocked he was when he got the offer. :) everyone would!
TEMIRLAN

Postby Jox on 04 May 2017, 10:11

Official logo

Official press release from Warner Bros:
BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Principal photography has begun on Warner Bros. Pictures’ action adventure “Aquaman,” helmed by James Wan (“The Conjuring” films, “Furious 7”). Jason Momoa stars in the title role, returning to the character he plays in this fall’s “Justice League.”

The film also stars Amber Heard (“Justice League,” “Magic Mike XXL”) as Mera; Oscar nominee Willem Dafoe (“Platoon,” “Spider-Man 2”) as Vulko; Temuera Morrison (“Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones,” “Green Lantern”) as Tom Curry; Dolph Lundgren (“The Expendables” films) as Nereus; Yahya Abdul-Mateen II (upcoming “Baywatch,” Netflix’s “The Get Down”) as Black Manta; with Patrick Wilson (“The Conjuring” films, “Watchmen”) as Orm/Ocean Master; and Oscar winner Nicole Kidman (“The Hours,” “Lion”) as Atlanna.

The film is being produced by Peter Safran, with Zack Snyder, Deborah Snyder, Rob Cowan, Jon Berg and Geoff Johns serving as executive producers.

Wan’s team behind the scenes includes such frequent collaborators as Oscar-nominated director of photography Don Burgess (“The Conjuring 2,” “Forrest Gump”), his five-time editor Kirk M. Morri (“The Conjuring” films, “Furious 7,” the “Insidious” films) and production designer Bill Brzeski (“Furious 7”). They are joined by costume designer Kym Barrett (“The Matrix” trilogy; “The Amazing Spider-Man”), along with Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Charles Gibson (“Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest,” “The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 & 2”) and VFX supervisor Kelvin McIlwain (“The Fast and the Furious” franchise).

As is fitting for the king of the sea, the shoot will take place mainly in locations spanning the stunning Gold Coast of Queensland, Australia, with extensive filming to be accomplished at Village Roadshow Studios. The production will utilize the facility’s sprawling backlot and all nine VRS soundstages, including its newest, Stage 9, the largest of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere. Filming will also take place in Newfoundland, Sicily and Tunisia.

An icon for over 75 years, Aquaman is known by fans of DC Comics as the ruler of Atlantis but committed to protecting the entire globe, both land and sea.

Currently set for a 2018 release, the film is based on characters from DC.

https://www.warnerbros.com/studio/news/ ... re-aquaman
Jox
Site Admin

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 04 May 2017, 11:38

I'm just excited to see the concept art for Nereus... and then Dolph's look for the film.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

Postby bomaz on 04 May 2017, 11:57

My advice is : keep your expectations kinda low in order to be more surprised. For the JLA movie, there was a big buzz after JK Simmons casting as Comissionner Gordon, and his part ended up just being a couple of minutes on only one scene (that you can see in the trailer, on a rooftop with Momoa and Affleck).
(But i'm excited too, don't get me wrong :wink: )
bomaz

Postby GeneralMcFaiL on 04 May 2017, 12:03

bomaz wrote:My advice is : keep your expectations kinda low in order to be more surprised. For the JLA movie, there was a big buzz after JK Simmons casting as Comissionner Gordon, and his part ended up just being a couple of minutes on only one scene (that you can see in the trailer, on a rooftop with Momoa and Affleck).
(But i'm excited too, don't get me wrong :wink: )

Even if he gets 5 min of screen time... I'm excited for it. This movie is going to make $$. So even if Dolph's role this time around isn't as a major player he will be associated with a blockbuster hit. He'll be considered for other bigger things as a result.

we have a lot to be thankful for... mendez/wan and also Dolph moving back to L.A.
"It's Jesus time!"
GeneralMcFaiL

PreviousNext

Return to Dolph's Movies